Who Can Play with Alcoa in 3A

logcabinman

:popcorneater:

rollredroll,

If I'm not mistaken, and you would be the one to know, the only DI State Champ that defeated the (small) DII State Champ in the same year, was the '97 TC over BGA. I didn't do too much research, but just looking back, I don't see where anyone else would have squared off (small DII, that is).

I find this topic fascinating. You'll never know until you line up and play. I don't know if representatives from either side is beating the other's door down to play. At the same time, I highly doubt either one is scared of the other. It does however make for some interesting conversations.

Edited by SEVEN

Waiting to see a Webb vs. Alcoa game. 2 big boys, one in D1 the other in D2, perrenial state champs respectively, located just a few short miles apart. Get it on boys and see what happens. No predictions, I think that would be one heck of a game, great coaching, great athletes, both schools have a hard time scheduling opponents. Why doesn't that happen? Alcoa fans have said Webb declined the invitation. Is that true? It wouldn't hurt either team if they lost because they would still make the playoffs, have a high seed, and most likely still win the state in their division.

:popcorneater:

rollredroll,

If I'm not mistaken, and you would be the one to know, the only DI State Champ that defeated the (small) DII State Champ in the same year, was the '97 TC over BGA. I didn't do too much research, but just looking back, I don't see where anyone else would have squared off (small DII, that is).

I find this topic fascinating. You'll never know until you line up and play. I don't know if representatives from either side is beating the other's door down to play. At the same time, I highly doubt either one is scared of the other. It does however make for some interesting conversations.

Yes, correct. I saw those TCHS teams in person in both 1997 and 1998. They were awesome. They waxed my wife's alma mater in the 1998 title game (doubt she ever knew).

As for these debates, whether fair or not, it's usually the highest DII class that is the subject of discussion.

I've always found the "scared" claims kind of funny on any level. We're talking about football players who bang heads with each other!

rollredroll , sorry if it upsets you anytime a public school says they may be the best in the state , but I do visit the private boards and I see the exact same thing said and implied all the time over there too , and most of the times without a visit from a public school fan . During the Maryville /Alcoa thread we got our usual visit from a private fan ( Ensworth I believe it was ) to let us itty bitty Public Schools know how pathetic we are . The bottom line is , as long as the private schools continue to give out scholarships to elite athletes they will play in their own little division . A fan of an undefeated team from public or private has a right to claim superiority as long as it can't be settled on the field . The problem is , the privates want all the benefits as if they were playing by public school rules while still handing out scholarships . If it bothers the private schools so bad that they can't be in the mainstream of Tennessee High School Football , then cut out the scholarships , and come and get your respect. Play by the same rules as the rest of the State , win 6a , then everybody on here will be saying , " Wow , MBA,BA, MUS ,ETC , are the best in the state hands down . Instead of doing this , most of the private school fans would rather thump their chest , and claim superiority by using a couple of Private / Public matchups a year as an example .

As far as playing on a national level goes , I can see where the occasional novelty game is played but really what is the point.? What really is to gain other than someone like HERBSTRIET (SP) or PACKER making some money. The real beauty of High school football is playing in the towns and communities where the rivalries are born and fought out on "FRIDAY NIGHTS>." H S football is the most pure form of the sport, it is played for the love of the game , for the bragging rights and community pride not for money. We already have college and pro football, why not leave this one alone. jmo

Amen!!!! I mean what is the ROI for any D1 school anyway?

Play by the same rules as the rest of the State , win 6a , then everybody on here will be saying , " Wow , MBA,BA, MUS ,ETC , are the best in the state hands down . Instead of doing this , most of the private school fans would rather thump their chest , and claim superiority by using a couple of Private / Public matchups a year as an example .

It doesn't matter....MUS was the best in the state last year, hands down. Alcoa is the best in the state this year...so far.

rollredroll , sorry if it upsets you anytime a public school says they may be the best in the state , but I do visit the private boards and I see the exact same thing said and implied all the time over there too , and most of the times without a visit from a public school fan . During the Maryville /Alcoa thread we got our usual visit from a private fan ( Ensworth I believe it was ) to let us itty bitty Public Schools know how pathetic we are . The bottom line is , as long as the private schools continue to give out scholarships to elite athletes they will play in their own little division . A fan of an undefeated team from public or private has a right to claim superiority as long as it can't be settled on the field . The problem is , the privates want all the benefits as if they were playing by public school rules while still handing out scholarships . If it bothers the private schools so bad that they can't be in the mainstream of Tennessee High School Football , then cut out the scholarships , and come and get your respect. Play by the same rules as the rest of the State , win 6a , then everybody on here will be saying , " Wow , MBA,BA, MUS ,ETC , are the best in the state hands down . Instead of doing this , most of the private school fans would rather thump their chest , and claim superiority by using a couple of Private / Public matchups a year as an example .

I should have quit while I was behind yesterday.

Parting thoughts:

Schools should exist for education first. Eliminating financial aid limits education opportunities and choice. Give financial aid to “students†but not “athletes� Never. The TSSAA may dictate who can play sports based on aid, but they will never have the power to tell a school who it can and can’t accept. The fact that there are “student†and “athlete†distinctions reflects the pigeon-holing that schools are not supposed to represent.

Why do DII-ers troll these DI boards? Believe it or not, it’s largely out of respect. I think it’s in most people’s human nature not to stir up trouble. I know there’s not a lot of reciprocal trolling of DII boards. Trolling other boards and schools is our way of getting out of our bubble to understand football exists everywhere and keep up with others.

I’m all about consistency. As you recall, much of this angst started a few years when a certain DI poster ridiculed the worthiness of the national rankings that Brentwood Academy achieved. The quote was “BA? BS.†(with the upgrades to the site, that post is accessible now I’m sure). Yet, when his team entered the rankings, and a private school was not in them, he fell all over himself espousing the validity of them. That’s hypocrisy. I may not say the right thing all the time, but I always try to be consistent. So, it has been mentioned on this thread that getting invited to the Herbstreit games is a “noveltyâ€. Fine, MBA got a “novelty†offer. Maybe they had more ping pong balls in play or were the lucky recipient of the dart. When similar invitations are extended down the road to the DI gang, I expect the offers to be downplayed similarly by those receiving them. I think we both know that is not likely. It does occur in both directions. The have-nots will be force-fed their lack of worthiness.

Peace.

Waiting to see a Webb vs. Alcoa game. 2 big boys, one in D1 the other in D2, perrenial state champs respectively, located just a few short miles apart. Get it on boys and see what happens. No predictions, I think that would be one heck of a game, great coaching, great athletes, both schools have a hard time scheduling opponents. Why doesn't that happen? Alcoa fans have said Webb declined the invitation. Is that true? It wouldn't hurt either team if they lost because they would still make the playoffs, have a high seed, and most likely still win the state in their division.

If Im not mistaken in the past 10 years Alcoa has smacked around Webb, McCallie, Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. All current or at one time were considered D-II schools.

If Im not mistaken in the past 10 years Alcoa has smacked around Webb, McCallie, Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. All current or at one time were considered D-II schools.

I'm fairly certain Lipscomb and GP have stayed D-1 the entire time unless it was at the very beginning of the split.