South Panola @ MUS

BigSneaky

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I really wish some of you would look at the threads on the 3A/4A boards (“Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0†in particular). It’s really – well, bizarre. Here’s a summary, with some poetic license used to get the point across:

DII schools go out-of-state to play other schools because they don’t want to play in-state powers.

A DII school that does not want to entertain the notion of traveling five hours across the state in consecutive years to play a school that does not show an interest in entertaining a home-and-home series shows its yellowness by scheduling home-and-home games with national powers an hour away in incredibly strong football states.

DII schools have not proven they can beat in-state public powers.

DII scheduling of only Olive Branch and South Panola this year negates all previous years of out-of-state scheduling due to lack of volume.

When all avenues are exhausted, use the “R†word. It’s always the asterisk that renders all other arguments moot.

I tell myself every year not to get sucked it, but it’s hard not to. It’s a shame that responding to a question is perceived as snobbery because the answer doesn’t please the asker.

Someone please throw me a life preserver.

As for this game, I am behind the Tennessee team, yellow or not, snobs or not.

I guess that's why MUS thumped 6A State Champ White Station last year with Brunetti injured.

I guess that's why MUS thumped 6A State Champ White Station last year with Brunetti injured.

Agreed, but you're telling it to the wrong person.

I really wish someone would jump in over there.

One fan said, "Alcoa has beat all privates schools and DII schools the last 21 years!", to which I pointed out that in 1998, 2001, and 2003, there were losses to David Lipscomb and Goodpasture. I assume that David Lipscomb and Goodpasture fall under an "all private schools" distinction (and note the distinction between "all private schools" and "DII schools"), but apparently not.

Edited by rollredroll

Agreed, but you're telling it to the wrong person.

I really wish someone would jump in over there.

One fan said, "Alcoa has beat all privates schools and DII schools the last 21 years!", to which I pointed out that in 1998, 2001, and 2003, there were losses to David Lipscomb and Goodpasture. I assume that David Lipscomb and Goodpasture fall under an "all private schools" distinction (and note the distinction between "all private schools" and "DII schools"), but apparently not.

While I applaud your effort to "fight the good fight," I think another biblical phrase is better suited, "casting one's pearls before the swine."

39-2 South Panola

Over 500 yds of offense for the Tigers. Under 50 for the Owls. Clock ran most of the 2nd half and no SP skills saw the field after the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half. Very few starters played at all the 2nd half.

I don't think I've ever seen a 37 pt win before where I could say the score didn't adequately convey how 1-sided it was, this was it. SP could have put up 70 if they'd wanted to and the clock hadn't run all half.

Having said that, I don't think MUS is that bad. They're still a solid, fundamental squad that will win their share. Being outmanned happens to everybody at some point.

Edited by Trojan Fan

This game was more about South Panola being really good than anything else. Their skill players were really, really good.

It looked like MUS must have been pretty banged up for this one. At one point, they were playing some young kids on defense (I assume bc of what appeared to be injuries) that were clearly overwhelmed.

The MUS O-Line is stout though. I thought they were fine against the SP DL, but the speed of the LB's and DB's negated any advantage they gained from the OL. Another bright spot for the Owls was the punter. He neutralized SP star athlete Brassell with some high some booming punts. he had to have averaged 45-50 yards a kick with good hang time to boot.

All in all, I still see MUS as the favorite in the West and a contender in D2, especially if they start to get healthy. I do not see another team in TN with as many high caliber athletes as SP put on the field tonight.