Best Coaches?

Guest GahImHard

I have a hard time figuring out how Coach Mike Buck is always left off these "best coaches" threads. The guy won a state championship at pickett co. then was an assistant at the University of Idaho and came back as an assistant for one year with his old high school coach Roy Whited and won a state title with him at white co. He is now at crossville, where he has had very little talent but very competitive teams. Just ask Bradley Central and other teams in that district. They have been upset by crossville (a much less talented team). If Buck ever gets the talent or goes somewhere else where there is talent then everyone will know. Just go watch crossville play and see how that team gets after it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where is Crossville and who gives a rip. Eddie I thought you spent most of your time with Sparta athletics and trying to rip poor old Brucie Slatten. Answer a question for me....just who HASN'T won a state title at Pickett? It is just one of the best programs in the state. My 7 year old nephew could win at Pickett. Mitchell was winning there when Buck was still in JHS. When the guy wins one in the wilds of Crossville.... then I will be impressed..... and I do think Buck is a good coach.

I would have to agree on the Picket Co. State Title Parade. Picket has been loaded in times past. I also agree that Buck's coaching at Crossville has been a big challenge. He seems to know the game and works hard at it. I am not sure if he can be really successful over the long haul at Crossville. Not enough great athletes over time to sustain a top-notch program.

Posted by ruppsrunt:

So where is Crossville and who gives a rip. Eddie I thought you spent most of your time with Sparta athletics and trying to rip poor old Brucie Slatten. Answer a question for me....just who HASN'T won a state title at Pickett? It is just one of the best programs in the state. My 7 year old nephew could win at Pickett. Mitchell was winning there when Buck was still in JHS. When the guy wins one in the wilds of Crossville.... then I will be impressed..... and I do think Buck is a good coach.

Not really sure where you guys are getting your info but Pickett Co. has only won two state championships and thats it maybe you guys think thats makes them the best or one of the best programs in the state. Don't get me wrong they are a great program but with just two state championships its not one of the best in the state.

Ok man go ahead and get on my back for no good reason. You know its pretty bad when you win a state championship in high school are an assistant at a D-1 school but you are not seen as a good coach. Then after you sat there and made all these points that he wasn't a good coach you still finished your post by saying he was a good coach. What is your deal man. I'm not a Slatten basher, you get on here and say that he is a better coach than Whited was and I simply show why I don't believe he was. I wish the best for White Co. but I also know that a lot of things have gone on since he has been there. Look at the talent buck has had at Crossville.......slim to be nice about it. I simply tried to state my opionon so get up off me man.

ruppsrunts you are an idiot. Mike Buck puts everything he has into that program. He just simply does not have the talent. He took a horrible program and made them extremely competitive. The kids lay it on the floor for him every night they step on the floor. Coach Buck is highly respected by coaches in the state that have any sense about them, which leaves you out. Pick someone that is bad before running down someone that loves coaching the game and someone that loves, takes care, and teaches life to his players.

Donald Ensor and staff at Unaka has won the District Championship for 5 straight years. 20 win seasons are common for a Class A team that plays some of the areas best teams, regardless of size. The staff work hard and takes pride in being among the elite in this area. I commend them for the outstanding job that they do.

Add Mike Poe of Science Hill and staff to that list. Poe has been remarkable following the legendary George Pitts. His teams play hard and very well disciplined.

East Tennessee is blessed with some outstanding coaches.

I think Coach Ned Smith from Cloudland and Buddy Hazelwood from Hampton are two coaches who will leave their mark on their respective schools.

I was not going to write anything but after I kept reading the posts on here, I felt like this person's name has to be mentioned. Bradley Central's Kent Smith has to be considered as one of the best coaches in Tennessee. He took over coaching the Bears in 1996. He has been to the state finals and state quarterfinals twice in the past three years and the substate the other. He works his players hard and they are very fundamentally sound. His record is impressive, but that is not what makes him the best coach around. He cares for his players. He has a genuine concern for them. He spends time with his players off the court and is like a father to them. He spends hours and hours calling and talking to coaches on the college level to help his players get to play at the next level. Many of his former players received full scholarships. He supports his players when they play other sports and works his practice and game schedules around to accomodate them so that they CAN participate in other sports. He has everything it takes and does everything it takes to be called a great coach.

[Edited by tnwareagle on 10-8-02 10:18A]