Alcoa Zoning Restrictions

matt_8777

I have been asociated with Alcoa Football since 1969 and was a fan before that. We do have an advantage, because we attract sudents to Alcoa because of the athletics and the academics. Why should other schools not play Alcoa, it is a terrible problem to try to schedule 10 games. It has been and it will always be, I guess. I actually wish that we would do away with the playoffs and play for the kids to have fun. That will not happen. When folks are as jealous as they are, we will always look at the scoreboard. Just remember that students learn from playing athletics, whether they win of lose.

BC, I never asked the question to try to diminish the quality of football at Alcoa. I simply asked a question. The others on this thread have escilated this into a "this isn't fair to us" campaign. I just wanted to know the facts. I mean, yeah, they could recruit the best players from the 500,000 or so people that live in that area, but yes they do have competition with the other 6A schools. The fact that you have "Exposure" to SEC scouts there also draws the players to Alcoa. If I had a son that was good enough to play for Alcoa or CAK, I would definately send him to Alcoa. That's a no brainer. Benton County does have 2 High Schools just so we get the facts correct, but only one football program. Benton County has approx 17,000 residents to pull their talent.

Alcoa is successful because they are talented, hard working, well coached, have good boosters, and excutute the game plan better than who they play. I'm making NO excuses why Alcoa is successful. Didn't know you needed an excuse to be successful. The NY Yankees have the largest payroll in baseball and have the most talent money can buy. Do they need an excuse to be beaten by Tampa Bay? No. So don't go trying to say what my motives for starting a thread or asking a question.

17000 residents into one High school verses Alcoa with 7000 residents within the city limits + academically qualified transfers outside the city limits. Alcoa enrollment is less than 550 students............Camden's enrollment???

Reb why do you always insist on watering down the number of OOZ players that have been on Maryville's roster? Since you know all of the statistics sir, what's the percentage of OHR(Oldfield/Hall/Rockford) players on Alcoa's roster? Because truth be told, those are the kids that opponents should worry about :thumb:

I agree and I bet it's much higher than 37%

The problem is this and its not just with Alcoa. Just ask Volunteer,Sullivan North,and Sullivan Central how it hurts there programs for athletes to pay to go to a school up the road like Dobyns Bennet. And the thought there is that many good athletes in the small town of Alcoa is obsered,if that was the case Science Hill would be world beaters with almost 2500 kids to choose from. Just face it you pull in great athletes to your school and theres nothing nobody can do but #### about it. But heres a question would Ranken be able to win so many say at like Happy Valley? I dont know you tell me. And good luck the rest of the year,hope we visit you late in the playoffs.

Go Cyclones!!!

Sorry, Barb.

But that garbage holds no merit.

Just ask any school not named Maryville or Alcoa.

We have started recruiting internationally though. We have some quality Salvadorans on the futbol team and work has started in Europe for the next great Alcoa golfer.

CAK and all they stand for must be vanquished.

The Alcoa faithful are generally very nice, but you have to watch Alcoaspaintedbridge. Check out this rare footage of APB standing behind me on the back row last year at the CAK / Alcoa game.

C4r2.gif

Here's my thought....Alcoa is one of four High SChools in Blount COunty. Students out side of the city of Alcoa and Maryville can pay tuition and attend the city schools.

PLUS,Blount County is not the only County with open zone.

Then you have Counties with only one High SChool. EXample: Benton County, where Camden Central is located. They can pull ALL the talent from the entire County without sharing talented players with other High Schools in the area. I see this as a huge advantage for shcools like Camden Central!

Now, Alcoa has to share talented players in the area with 3 area 6A High Schools.

So.....Imo, the open zone is simply a convenient excuse for people like the Camden guy that started this thread why Alcoa is successful!

EXACTLY! The Blount County High Schools can pull students from the City of Maryville and the City of Alcoa and they don't have to pay anything to go there. If either one of the Blount County Schools would have stepped up when Maryville was down or when Alcoa was down, things might be a whole lot different.

And the thought there is that many good athletes in the small town of Alcoa is obsered,if that was the case Science Hill would be world beaters with almost 2500 kids to choose from.

As a person who was born and raised in Alcoa, I can vouch for the fact that this is not an ABSURD thought. My favorite player growing up was Alcoa native, Lynn Swann. What made it even more special for me, was the fact that my mother knew his grandmother. There are athletes in Alcoa. :ph34r:

As a person who was born and raised in Alcoa, I can vouch for the fact that this is not an ABSURD thought. My favorite player growing up was Alcoa native, Lynn Swann. What made it even more special for me, was the fact that my mother knew his grandmother. There are athletes in Alcoa. :ph34r:

What makes this even more special for me is that his grandmother was my grandmother's cousin :thumb: