Grins and Chuckles

owlbooster

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly this is the same Gary Rankin whose 1990's Riverdale teams could not compete with Carlton Flatt's powerhouse BA teams, thus causing Rankin to lead the charge towards the current division split? I thought so, Rankin left the Boro because Riverdale was losing its huge stock of athletes to rezoning and new schools.

I'll never respect Gary Rankin after the things I heard that man say at a scrimmage out in Murfreesboro many summers ago

weird that he is in a position to influence the lives of young men

pick up the phone when BA/MBA/MUS come calling, please

Alcoa's AD already called........all three stated their schedules have already been filled.

believe what you want about Rankin..........but look at Alcoa's record against the big boys in D1 and D2........Alcoa will play anyone!

The Blount County Kickoff bowl now has some BIG $$$ backing........stay tuned!

Alcoa's AD already called........all three stated their schedules have already been filled.

believe what you want about Rankin..........but look at Alcoa's record against the big boys in D1 and D2........Alcoa will play anyone!

Not true, my friend, not true at all

Alcoa's record speaks for itself. Do you know if a Rankin team has ever played a DII team? With his history of spearheading the public/private split, you would think he would rather eat broken glass. Just curious.

Never mind. He hasn't played a DII team since the split but at Riverdale went 3-1 in 4 regular season games against Baylor (2-1) and McCallie (1-0) between 1993 and 1996 and lost to BA in the state finals in 1995. So, for whatever reason, he played no scheduled games with local DII schools. I understand he turned down one or two invites to play either BA or MBA in a local charity game. Probably another reason for the Nashville area animosity toward him.

Edited by owlbooster

Owlbooster, I'm sure you followed the thread I started on the 3A boards about Alcoa not playing any good OOS competition earlier this year. I went round and round with these Alcoa/Maryville fans. They seem to be content with just playing eachother in the "Blount County Bowl". I am a huge fan of both Alcoa and Maryville, but I simply wanted the both of them to start looking towards better competition, preferrably regionally. I feel the exposure will make TN better as a whole. I would love to see the both of them carry the TN banner for once against a solid OOS team(Bell Co and Middletown just don't cut the mustard.) It seems to me the only teams that have been walking the walk are the Div II teams.

Owlbooster, I'm sure you followed the thread I started on the 3A boards about Alcoa not playing any good OOS competition earlier this year. I went round and round with these Alcoa/Maryville fans. They seem to be content with just playing eachother in the "Blount County Bowl". I am a huge fan of both Alcoa and Maryville, but I simply wanted the both of them to start looking towards better competition, preferrably regionally. I feel the exposure will make TN better as a whole. I would love to see the both of them carry the TN banner for once against a solid OOS team(Bell Co and Middletown just don't cut the mustard.) It seems to me the only teams that have been walking the walk are the Div II teams.

It's always painful when your beautiful theory ("We have the very best team.") is dashed by an ugly fact (Team X hands you your head on a platter). This observation explains a great deal, including the very existence of Div II.

This is MUS vs. CBHS week in Memphis. I have been asking coaches et al from the 2 schools about the week zero "Blount County Bowl," which has been turned down already by these 2 schools, because their "schedule is full," according to several Blount County posters. I found this curious, as the week zero Bridges Classic in Memphis involving these 2 teams was only canceled a few weeks ago. For what it's worth, as I only have spoken to a few so far, none of them knew anything about the "Bowl" much less an invite to play in it. In fact, MUS and CBHS are trying to get 2 Ohio schools to come play in a "Kickoff Bowl" event which they hope ESPNU would televise. I also was told that a game with Maryville or Alcoa would be welcome. I also heard that Ricky Bowers still would like to play one of them. (Ensworth has been playing a 9-game schedule for several years) Has anybody in the rest of the state actually been contacted for sure? It would be nice to get some verification by an involved party other than the BC folk.

Edited by owlbooster

I can guarantee you South Panola would play either Alcoa or Maryville IF they will agree to a home and home (SP has a nice facility...no concerns there). They played Colquitt County, GA this year for the competition with no return game but rarely will they travel without a return game. They have a heck of a time trying to get anyone to play them so the schedule is always a challenge. I still wish they'd told Rush Propst no b/c he won't return the game and would only agree to play at Hoover when he was coaching there. Kudos, by the way, to both CBHS and MUS who have had home and home series with South Panola.

Tell either coach to call SP coach Lance Pogue about next year. They have 2 spots coming open early in the year. I can assure you that a guarantee of a home and home series would nail either matchup down in a heartbeat. They simply don't turn down a competitive home and home against a good non-district opponent.

This is MUS vs. CBHS week in Memphis. I have been asking coaches et al from the 2 schools about the week zero "Blount County Bowl," which has been turned down already by these 2 schools, because their "schedule is full," according to several Blount County posters. I found this curious, as the week zero Bridges Classic in Memphis involving these 2 teams was only canceled a few weeks ago. For what it's worth, as I only have spoken to a few so far, none of them knew anything about the "Bowl" much less an invite to play in it. In fact, MUS and CBHS are trying to get 2 Ohio schools to come play in a "Kickoff Bowl" event which they hope ESPNU would televise. I also was told that a game with Maryville or Alcoa would be welcome. I also heard that Ricky Bowers still would like to play one of them. (Ensworth has been playing a 9-game schedule for several years) Has anybody in the rest of the state actually been contacted for sure? It would be nice to get some verification by an involved party other than the BC folk.

I have leaned towards giving the benefit of the doubt as to status of said bowl game. With that said, it would be nice for a newspaper (Times Daily or News Sentinel) to pick up on the story and give the specifics (where, when) and have a couple of quotes from ADs/coaches as to who has been contacted and who has accepted/declined (and accordingly, quotes from those ADs/coaches as to their interest/availability). Such an article would settle any uncertainties/conflicts on the message boards as well as promote the bowl to those schools needing games who don't look on CoachT for opponents.

I don't know how anyone interested in a level playing field in terms of these debates (or whatever they are) can contest the impartialness a third party media mention would represent.

I can guarantee you South Panola would play either Alcoa or Maryville IF they will agree to a home and home (SP has a nice facility...no concerns there). They played Colquitt County, GA this year for the competition with no return game but rarely will they travel without a return game. They have a heck of a time trying to get anyone to play them so the schedule is always a challenge. I still wish they'd told Rush Propst no b/c he won't return the game and would only agree to play at Hoover when he was coaching there. Kudos, by the way, to both CBHS and MUS who have had home and home series with South Panola.

Tell either coach to call SP coach Lance Pogue about next year. They have 2 spots coming open early in the year. I can assure you that a guarantee of a home and home series would nail either matchup down in a heartbeat. They simply don't turn down a competitive home and home against a good non-district opponent.

In all seriousness, as a South Panola fan, you should venture over to our D1 board and present this to the Alcoa and Maryville fans, and then....enjoy the response you get.