Gerry Bertier 3A Playoff Bracket

Gerry Bertier

I understand your point, but that's why they said Bledsoe instead of Coach Reel and it really don't matter who scheduled them. I don't care what these people are trying to argue, there is a lot of great teams that are in smaller classification's. Like South Pitt, Signal Mountain and so on that are better than bigger schools.

I agree that playing harder schedule will prepare you for playoffs. I hope they don't penalize teams for playing down when it comes to the SV teams, as this will be disheartening. Marion and South Pitt might have beaten Sequatchie more they we beat them over the years, I don't know, but from a older guy's standpoint, I would hate not to play them. I hope Sequatchie can schedule Sp in the near future.

Just trying to get my point across that the current coach didn't schedule them to get easy wins or to make a "cupcake" schedule because he had nothing to do with it. I understand your saying that he said Bledsoe and not coach Reel but when you say Bledsoe that kind of includes the coach too.

I understand your point of view, but for Milan to play 4 Class A teams and to get full credit in the playoff systems and full credit in the seeding for those wins does not seem fair compared to a team that plays Class AAA teams. The TSSAA system is currently penalizing teams that play up and rewarding teams that play down. You would have to agree that Bledsoe County playing 6 Class A teams should not be rewarded the same as a team who does not play any Class A teams and schedules several Class AAA teams. They have scheduled every NON district game with a Class A team.

If teams want to do that fine, but give teams that play harder schedules an additional consideration. The first thing that comes to mind is that a win against a lower class opponent should not count the same in the tiebreaker formula as a win against a higher class opponent. Perhaps a Class AA win should count as 1.0, a Class A win should count as .75 and a Class AAA win should count as 1.25 in the tie breaker formula.

I agree with your points and I am sure there are different circumstances in every region/area. What works best for us doesn't mean it will work for others. I don't think the TSSAA would give your formula much of a look but it's not that bad of a set up. Would be anxious to see what the seeding would look like if this was used after week 10.

I agree with your points and I am sure there are different circumstances in every region/area. What works best for us doesn't mean it will work for others. I don't think the TSSAA would give your formula much of a look but it's not that bad of a set up. Would be anxious to see what the seeding would look like if this was used after week 10.

BF#2...............I'm figuring when the dust settles........It will be Milan and Alcoa back in Cookeville... :popcorneater:

BF#2...............I'm figuring when the dust settles........It will be Milan and Alcoa back in Cookeville... :popcorneater:

I can't go there on these boards. But I can tell you I like our chances with the way we are currently playing. We are young in some important areas but we've also got some seniors where we need them. Now don't get me wrong, we don't have anything for the F5, but we definitely got a chance to get there. Camden would be a good test, they say they are more balanced this year. ????? I don't know enough about them to really say much. I would like a rematch with Westview to avenge that regular season loss but I don't see that happening with where the seeds will fall. Not for sure who would come out of Quad 3?

Time will tell but I would love to have the problem of facing you guys again in Cookeville.

I can see giving a pass scheduling 1 down class game. I might even stretch it to 2 for a traditional rivalry. But there is no way playing 3 or more should be allowed without a penalty. Milan playing 4 Class A games is not fair. Bledsoe County playing 6 Class A games is cheating. It may be legal as far as the rules go, but it is cheating the system.

The system that is in place was also put there to cut down on travel yet added over 500 miles to the traveling that Milan has to do every year. The system is what it is, play your games and prepare yourself for the playoffs. Ever noticed how the cream always rises to the top.....if you are good then you will get in the playoffs then advance! Pretenders make it in every year no matter what system there is but the good teams find a way to win!

The schools did not (directly) set up the system of classification - the TSSAA did. The whole point and purpose of classification is to draw a distinction between teams in terms of strength (based on school size and multipiers)so that smaller schools have a shot at a championship against other teams of their size.

If we just say "play whoever you want" outside of your district, then we are ignoring the above intent, and not supporting it. If we can multiply privates, then we can certainly multiply credit for "playing up", or reduce credit for "playing down". When a team plays down and gets a full credit for that win, that flies in the face of the intent of classification.

If a rivalry game that involves playing up or down is important to a school, then they can accept the consequences of less or more credit in terms of playoff spots.

On a separate note, having teams in different classifications in the same district is in a word - RIDICULOUS! How can you say we want to recognize their are differences because of school size, then ignore that idea when forming districts? Fix that first, work with the schools to build a schedule against other schools in their class, then this issue dissolves.

An by the way, the argument of travel doesn't fly. There are plenty of teams within 2 hours drive to form a schedule.

Nobody is playing a team outside their classification in district play. The classes are A, AA and AAA.

"If a rivalry game that involves playing up or down is important to a school, then they can accept the consequences of less or more credit in terms of playoff spots."

That would be terrible. The school here has played Whitwell for decades and they're down this season. They could play a Chattanooga AA/4A instead, but not only would such as school bring 50 fans, the home crowd would also suffer. Would you really want a school to choose between the two?

Also, how do you judge if a Whitwell is scheduled and turns out to have a great record like Class A Signal Mountain or Copper Basin, which would do well against a lot of AA teams?

Go to four classes across the board, football, basketball, baseball, softball, redivide for every sport (not keep the classes the same as in football since there are more in basketball) and go to the 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 playoff matches.

Nobody is playing a team outside their classification in district play. The classes are A, AA and AAA.

"If a rivalry game that involves playing up or down is important to a school, then they can accept the consequences of less or more credit in terms of playoff spots."

That would be terrible. The school here has played Whitwell for decades and they're down this season. They could play a Chattanooga AA/4A instead, but not only would such as school bring 50 fans, the home crowd would also suffer. Would you really want a school to choose between the two?

Also, how do you judge if a Whitwell is scheduled and turns out to have a great record like Class A Signal Mountain or Copper Basin, which would do well against a lot of AA teams?

Go to four classes across the board, football, basketball, baseball, softball, redivide for every sport (not keep the classes the same as in football since there are more in basketball) and go to the 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 playoff matches.

[/quote

As I said in my earlier post, give a team a pass on up to 2 games for playing down. It is the teams that abuse the system and schedule 3,4,5 and as many as 6 down classification games that should be penalized in the seeding system.

The schools did not (directly) set up the system of classification - the TSSAA did. The whole point and purpose of classification is to draw a distinction between teams in terms of strength (based on school size and multipiers)so that smaller schools have a shot at a championship against other teams of their size.

If we just say "play whoever you want" outside of your district, then we are ignoring the above intent, and not supporting it. If we can multiply privates, then we can certainly multiply credit for "playing up", or reduce credit for "playing down". When a team plays down and gets a full credit for that win, that flies in the face of the intent of classification.

If a rivalry game that involves playing up or down is important to a school, then they can accept the consequences of less or more credit in terms of playoff spots.

On a separate note, having teams in different classifications in the same district is in a word - RIDICULOUS! How can you say we want to recognize their are differences because of school size, then ignore that idea when forming districts? Fix that first, work with the schools to build a schedule against other schools in their class, then this issue dissolves.

An by the way, the argument of travel doesn't fly. There are plenty of teams within 2 hours drive to form a schedule.

I can assure you there are plenty of teams within 2 hours to play BUT these are the teams the TSSAA said you are now going to play, so we have to travel and hour or and hour and a half to play larger schools that bring about 50 fans to the games. People wonder why Milan keeps their traditonal rivalry games it is to receive the larger gates in order to fund the program not to get an easy W. Ask the TSSAA....it is all about the money for them but schools are supposed to take a beating financially at their expense? Every program does whatever it has to in order make money. Speaking of your multiplier to you get extra credit for beating larger schools? Our region only has (3) 3A playoff teams including Milan and (6) 4A playoff teams.

Quad 1

1 West Greene (7-2)

8 Piegon Forge (4-4)

4 Happy Valley (5-2)

5 South Greene (5-3)

3 Sullivan North (6-3)

6 Gatlinburg Pittman (5-3)

2 Chuckey Doak (6-2)

7 Elizabethon (5-3)

Quad 2

1 Alcoa (8-0)

8 Sweetwater (4-4)*

4 Loudon (6-2)

5 Tyner (6-2)

3 Polk Co. (7-1)

6 Kingston (5-3)

2 CAK (8-0)

7 Austin East (5-3)

Quad 3

1 Smith Co. (8-1)

8 Grundy Co. (5-3)

4 Bledsoe Co. (6-2)

5 East Literature (6-2)

3 Goodpasture (7-1)

6 Pearl Cohn (5-3)

2 Howard (7-1)

7 Sequathcie Co. (5-3)

Quad 4

1 Camden (9-0)

8 Cheatham Co. (4-4)

4 Oakhaven (6-2)

5 CPA (5-4)

3 Fairview (7-1)

6 Westview (5-3)

2 Milan (7-1)

7 Stewart Co. (5-3)

Gerry:

It is scary how accurate your bracket was this week my friend.

You nailed both Q-2 and Q-4.

In Q-1 you missed South Greene, Elizabethton, & Gatlinburg-Pittman.

In Q-3 if you flip/flop Grundy County & East Literature then you have that bracket nailed as well.

WELL DONE MY FRIEND :thumb: