Big 8 Offseason Thread - 2010 Edition

formerblazer

Oh OK...so you smacked us around did you? That's allright 'cause we are going to get back to our tradition of tanning that hide this year.

Comp you know as well as I do that those days are long gone. I don't see any more HH's, or CP's running around over there to carry you guys. It was a good run but all good things must eventually end.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

came across science hill's 2011 schedule:

wk 0 @ Greeneville

wk 1 vs. Elizabethton

wk 2 vs. Central (Homecoming)

wk 3 @ Morristown West

wk 4 @ David Crockett

wk 5 Open

wk 6 vs. Sullivan South

wk 7 @ Daniel Boone

wk 8 vs. Volunteer

wk 9 @ TN High

wk 10 vs. Dobyns-Bennett

glad to see the DB game moved back to week 10 where it belongs.

came across science hill's 2011 schedule:

wk 0 @ Greeneville

wk 1 vs. Elizabethton

wk 2 vs. Central (Homecoming)

wk 3 @ Morristown West

wk 4 @ David Crockett

wk 5 Open

wk 6 vs. Sullivan South

wk 7 @ Daniel Boone

wk 8 vs. Volunteer

wk 9 @ TN High

wk 10 vs. Dobyns-Bennett

glad to see the DB game moved back to week 10 where it belongs.

Why is South playing back to back Away @ DB, SH and TH?

When the TSSAA changed the classifications and the new Big 8 was born, the ADs agreed to re-draw schedules every 2 years to make the process fair to those who got an unfavorable draw. That is the reason as explained to me and I would agree with the fairness of its principle.

What doesn't make sense is why TSSAA re-figures things on a 5 year cycle instead of 4 or 6 since everyone is operating on a 2 year non-conference contract schedule. Sullivan South does have Tn. High at home next year as well as Boone. Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill are the repeats on the road.

When the TSSAA changed the classifications and the new Big 8 was born, the ADs agreed to re-draw schedules every 2 years to make the process fair to those who got an unfavorable draw. That is the reason as explained to me and I would agree with the fairness of its principle.

What doesn't make sense is why TSSAA re-figures things on a 5 year cycle instead of 4 or 6 since everyone is operating on a 2 year non-conference contract schedule. Sullivan South does have Tn. High at home next year as well as Boone. Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill are the repeats on the road.

DB and SH on the road again is BS. Sounds like someone was afraid to stand up.

It should switch out every year but I will say this, If the school doesnt have the means to house the visiting side then they should loose home rights. I know alot will come back on DB on this comment but there was plenty room at DB, just not the greatest placement system at the beginning of the season. Also I want to add one more thing, If The City was so interested in taking over and making DB THE high school then they would have let them buy the property were the Vet. Monument is now, the park and building to increase their building room/parking which they need and should have done anyways. Its meets the school property and right across the street they could have put the monument and had it's own parking area. Guess what, They didnt as you can see.

Edited by FootballMania

It should switch out every year but I will say this, If the school doesnt have the means to house the visiting side then they should loose home rights. I know alot will come back on DB on this comment but there was plenty room at DB, just not the greatest placement system at the beginning of the season. Also I want to add one more thing, If The City was so interested in taking over and making DB THE high school then they would have let them buy the property were the Vet. Monument is now, the park and building to increase their building room/parking which they need and should have done anyways. Its meets the school property and right across the street they could have put the monument and had it's own parking area. Guess what, They didnt as you can see.

DB will become "THE" High School. Theres plenty of room to expand. But its not for the reasons most on this board think. You don't understand how the "powers" in this city think. They could care less about sports. Their the ones that show up at football games to be seen, then leave at halftime after the band plays. They want to have the largest high school in the state, the largest band etc. Anything "Big" that they can brag about when they have their "get togethers" with other citys in the state. Thats why they had to have the big conference center and why they have to continue to add to it. Their the same group that has to have the water park,the learning center and the parking garage downtown. All the money they have spent on downtown and theres still no retail business to speak of. Most of downtown is still a eyesore. If you ever see a McDonalds or Burger King go in downtown then you'll know its coming to life down there. They only build where they know there will be customers. It will not end until we are completly broke. Steping off my soapbox now.

DB will become "THE" High School. Theres plenty of room to expand. But its not for the reasons most on this board think. You don't understand how the "powers" in this city think. They could care less about sports. Their the ones that show up at football games to be seen, then leave at halftime after the band plays. They want to have the largest high school in the state, the largest band etc. Anything "Big" that they can brag about when they have their "get togethers" with other citys in the state. Thats why they had to have the big conference center and why they have to continue to add to it. Their the same group that has to have the water park,the learning center and the parking garage downtown. All the money they have spent on downtown and theres still no retail business to speak of. Most of downtown is still a eyesore. If you ever see a McDonalds or Burger King go in downtown then you'll know its coming to life down there. They only build where they know there will be customers. It will not end until we are completly broke. Steping off my soapbox now.

Thats pretty much my point, except I dont think they give a crap about DB, South on and on. All they want is the tax dollars!

It has been said that Kingsport is a mill town and will never be anything but...Johnson City, on the other hand, continues to make us look foolish.

Mania, I've already stood on the soap box about the wasted money at Hunter Wright Stadium, the new field house (or at least it's asinine location), the new DB parking lot, the monument, versus the need to redesign the DB stadium. The stadium is fixed now. It is what it is and that will just have to satisfy everyone. But with a little fore-thought it could have been done right...the first time. So what's left? Tear down the Civic Auditorium and Legion Pool? I'm sure. There's no other choice. I mean we are getting a water park right?

It has been said that Kingsport is a mill town and will never be anything but...Johnson City, on the other hand, continues to make us look foolish.

Mania, I've already stood on the soap box about the wasted money at Hunter Wright Stadium, the new field house (or at least it's asinine location), the new DB parking lot, the monument, versus the need to redesign the DB stadium. The stadium is fixed now. It is what it is and that will just have to satisfy everyone. But with a little fore-thought it could have been done right...the first time. So what's left? Tear down the Civic Auditorium and Legion Pool? I'm sure. There's no other choice. I mean we are getting a water park right?

The City "leaders" don't even know where Johnson City is. They look to the west at Knoxville, Chattonooga, and Nashville because they think thats where their competition is. Johnson City is small change to these people, not worthy of their attention. We're about to get a new Carousel downtown. Why? Do we need one? Do the people of Kingsport want one? NO! The people who are doing this have no money to do it so their asking for "donations". The "donations" will fall far short and the taxpayers will pick up the tab for the rest as well as the opperating cost for years to come. And all because Chattanooga has one.

Hunter Wright Stadium. Man I had even forgot it even existed. Maybe its not big enough? We need to build on to it and make it the biggest baseball stadium in the state. Then prevent anybody from using it. I don't know when their going to tear down the Civic Auditorium and Legion Pool but you can bet its going to happen. And its probably going to be part of Dobyns Bennett High School. The largest high school in the state of Tennessee.

• 2 weeks later...