3A Championship Alcoa v. Goodpasture

Some people just don't belong...-Judge Smails  

125 members have voted

1. 1. The winner is....

• Champions (Alcoa)
    • Country Club (Goodpasture)
    • Just don't care....OR Hope Alcoa loses, but don't really like Goodpasture either.

Really? I mean its all opinion anyway but at least out of this stretch run, the 05 team will always be by far the best team Ive seen on the field.

The `05 Team did not have near as good an offensive line as the `09 and `10 team. The `09,`10 are more physical. The `05 did have a better passing game. Then, both are very similar in all other aspects. I'd also give Figler(sp)the edge over Tallant at QB, but Tallant's play at DB easily makes up for it.

The `10 team would control the LOS and beat the `05 team in similar fashion, to the Alcoa/Maryville game.

Now........if I could take pieces and parts from all the teams in the last ten years.....Oh, it would be UNREAL! :thumb:

The `05 Team did not have near as good an offensive line as the `09 and `10 team. The `09,`10 are more physical. The `05 did have a better passing game. Then, both are very similar in all other aspects. I'd also give Figler(sp)the edge over Tallant at QB, but Tallant's play at DB easily makes up for it.

The `10 team would control the LOS and beat the `05 team in similar fashion, to the Alcoa/Maryville game.

Now........if I could take pieces and parts from all the teams in the last ten years.....Oh, it would be UNREAL! :thumb:

The line is def more physical but I think all around the 05 team was one of the hardest hitting teams I had seen. As you mentioned the 05 team had a great passing attack and I honestly think that would be just too much for the current teams. It would be close though and a barn burner. Id love to see who people would put on an All decade team for Alcoa from the 2000 team to this year.

e

Hello volcamry42 :) ......good to see Goodpasture back in the championship game!

How would you compare this years Cougar team to the teams Alcoa played in `2005, 06, 07?

Looking forward to a great game!

Well BCsportsfan Goodpasture's team this year is a very solid team. QB Keenan Reynolds can run the ball, he can pass the ball or he can hand it off. The two running backs will give you all they have in Martin and Tompkins. On defense we keep the players in front of us instead of behind us as years past. They play as a team and not individuals this season. I would be happy for them to try and keep up with you guys but they will have to keep up their run for another game.

Really? I mean its all opinion anyway but at least out of this stretch run, the 05 team will always be by far the best team Ive seen on the field.

If you could add the coaching and off season training to that team then maybe. I'm with APB the 09 team and this year teams are much more physical than that team. Also the depth the last two years was much better. I would also like to point out that last years defense was awesome. In 05 I don't believe that defense was as good as the last two years but that's JMO.. The 89 team that kicked Brentwood Academy's tail in a ice storm was my favorite. The Gallatin people that sat (they actually stood due to the ice) :shock: behind me told us that we would have beat them by 2 touchdowns at least. Then they go on and beat Oakland for the championship. I guess ALCOA was the little team that could that year. :roflol: We should have been playing in single A but yet we CHOOSE to play up during those years. :popcorneater:

For Goodpasture to keep this one close they will have to pass it 60-70% of the time. They will also need to complete a very high number of passes to keep the clock running and shorten the game. Be some what effective running the ball and win the turnover battle. If this all happens then this could be a very good game. If it doesn't then we will see results like the previous games in the past. :popcorneater:

The '89 team had the likes of Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams, was ranked nationally, not exactly a "little team that could" :roflol: Still, they had got good playoff tests from Kingston and Marion County that year.

35-14 but I'd enjoy a 50-0 wipeout much more.

Edited by Indian

I will try and make this short,but since this thread is slow maybe some of the old timers can fill in some of what they remember.Alcoa fans are comparing past champions and i felt like the 77-79 teams have just been forgotten about.We did play goodpasture once during that run.Someone from that team or era can chime in.

There were only 3 divisions then and no private school divisions.Alcoa played single A of course.We had alot more small schools in Blount county.Porter,Friendsville,Lanier,Walland,but I do not rember Alcoa playing Walland that much.The same could be said about Greenback.I have never known Alcoa to ever play them.Maybe someone can answer why that was.Maryville had some real good teams and of course Rule High had some really good teams and players.I hung out with Rodney Dykes class of 79,and I knew alot of the players from that era even though I was 2-3 years behind them,Sam Love,Pat Simonic,Doug Staley,Glen Sankey,Kokey Earls(sp).Terry Whitted,Dutchy Parker,Greg Osborne and so on.Others can chime in on other players cause there were alot during this run of 3 in a row.You can't compare these teams with say the last 15 years or so.Teams then mainly ran the ball.You never ran into the CAK type teams.Everyone ran and sometimes passed and played Defense.Sweetwater was real good with the Lathams and who remembers Joe Cozart.He was awesome.I can remember more than once where coaches from other teams would say that Alcoa was the hardest hitting team that they had ever played.The State Championships were played at one or the others field.It was just so much different then.In the playoffs the scores were always close.You never saw blowouts like you do now.I believe only 2 teams made it from each district,mainly because you had so many more teams then and even though you were close to each other another team might be in a different district.It was alot of fun and alot of true rivalries back then.Some others can speak up and carry this on if you can remember that far back,and if any goodpasture people remember that team from the era please talk about them.I really cannot remember much about them.

• Upvote 1

The '89 team had the likes of Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams, was ranked nationally, not exactly a "little team that could" :roflol: Still, they had got good playoff tests from Kingston and Marion County that year.

35-14 but I'd enjoy a 50-0 wipeout much more.

Indian those were two great teams Marion and Kingston that year. Kingston was the best team we played all year and Marion Co was right there. That's when every playoff game meant something.

As for my comments. that was for a BA poster that always states they were the little team that could. Well if I'm not mistaken BA had athletes all over the southeast on the team we beat in 89. I guess that was a shot at him.....

Really long post...lol

There is actually some footage on YouTube from Goodpasture's 1979 team against Goodletsville and their 'single wing'

I got to see Goddlettsville in 1978 against Maryville and the single wing got clipped pretty bad that night as the Rebs hung half a hundred on them!

Check out the jump pass on the second play.

Goodpasture is in white.

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

Here is schedule and results from those seasons.

Some scores are missing and I will get them after the season is over. (thus the overall record is not right)

777879.jpg

Remember also we had a coaching change from 1978 to 79 as Bill Cochran took the VP job at William Blount and Steve Fugate took over in '79.

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge