GREENEVILLE GREENE DEVILS STATE CHAMPS!

DevilMan03

“They don’t,†White said tersely. “It wasn’t anything (Greeneville) did. We let the referees dictate the way we played.â€

From my own point view ..it was the refs who made the bears ..lose focus and control ...everything positve the bears did on offense and defense early on ..was flagged ..8+ flags in the first qtr alone ..senseless seemed like ..just enough to get you guys a nice cushion ...what else did you expect these kids to do?? ...the refs lost control by not letting these kids play ..and backed them in a corner .. they had no choice but to come out fighting... "if want to flag me ...for nothing then here is something to flag me for" .. now the refs have lost the respect of the kids and the coaching staff ...and the other team sits back and smile because everything going their way ...just as planned ...of all the games i watched ..no one was flagged more ...you guys act like these kids wanted ...to come out there and be made to look like fools ...they earned a right to play in that game just like greeneville...and should have been giving a chance ... im not saying they would have won the game ...but it would not have been the same score ...and to blame those guys for what happened to your bus ...wrong just as well... maybe it was a greeneville fan that slashes the wrong tires by mistakes.... now how does that sound??? ...just didnt like what i saw ...and it was a shame it came to that ..i was looking forward to a good game ...and all i saw was crap.. and i see this all to often ..

From my own point view ..it was the refs who made the bears ..lose focus and control ...everything positve the bears did on offense and defense early on ..was flagged ..8+ flags in the first qtr alone ..senseless seemed like ..just enough to get you guys a nice cushion ...what else did you expect these kids to do?? ...the refs lost control by not letting these kids play ..and backed them in a corner .. they had no choice but to come out fighting... "if want to flag me ...for nothing then here is something to flag me for" .. now the refs have lost the respect of the kids and the coaching staff ...and the other team sits back and smile because everything going their way ...just as planned ...of all the games i watched ..no one was flagged more ...you guys act like these kids wanted ...to come out there and be made to look like fools ...they earned a right to play in that game just like greeneville...and should have been giving a chance ... im not saying they would have won the game ...but it would not have been the same score ...and to blame those guys for what happened to your bus ...wrong just as well... maybe it was a greeneville fan that slashes the wrong tires by mistakes.... now how does that sound??? ...just didnt like what i saw ...and it was a shame it came to that ..i was looking forward to a good game ...and all i saw was crap.. and i see this all to often ..

Crap Boski, how many adult beverages did you have before you watched this one....those kids were jumping off-sides every other play on defense and many of those weren't flagged. And don't even get me started on the HOLDING...that didn't get called either. I was told by one of our kids that the Bears started trash-talking at them from the very beginning in an attempt to get them off their game and it escalated from there. And that "had no choice but to come out fighting" is nonsense. It's about time someone taught these kids that they DO have a choice.

We have 5 schools in Greene County and they all 5 play the same sports...against each other. The Sun's circulation depends heavily on the county citizens and having their school sports in the local paper is important to them. Willie has gotten enough recognition for his accomplishments in the local paper.

Fritz is real quick to jump on the Greeneville bandwagon and I do appreciate the kind words for our team but he really has a burr under his saddle about Alcoa and I don't particularly feel his Greeneville/Alcoa comparisons serve any purpose but to inflame the Alcoa fanbase and make him look stupid.

As far as Willie's story goes, it was nice but I think he is more concerned with where he's going than where he came from. Unfortunately, everytime his background is mentioned in the press,the words "transfer" and "import" are attached to it and that is often viewed negatively. I really think the Sun's restraint was admirable.

I still stand by my original premise that it's a shame that the local paper can't cover a local team as well as a city 35 miles away. I can't recall the Sun ever doing a story during the season on a local athlete. For pete's sake, Willie is Mr. Football and this is his first year at the school. If the Sun was the only info I got, I wouldn't know anything about him.

The Sun has always been pitiful in regards to keeping up with area athletes. It should be an embarrassment to them that they never cover local athletes that move on to college ball. In the 30+ years that I've followed Greeneville/Greene County sports, I've always been disappointed that they don't regularly update us with how the atletes are doing. Whether it's baseball, basketball, football, or any other sport, once they leave, you'll never find anything about them in the Sun.

Obviously, you don't care for Doug Fritz, and that is fine. However you lose credibility when you talk about how poor his coverage is, but then compliment the G'ville Sun's non-existant coverage.

I still stand by my original premise that it's a shame that the local paper can't cover a local team as well as a city 35 miles away. I can't recall the Sun ever doing a story during the season on a local athlete. For pete's sake, Willie is Mr. Football and this is his first year at the school. If the Sun was the only info I got, I wouldn't know anything about him.

The Sun has always been pitiful in regards to keeping up with area athletes. It should be an embarrassment to them that they never cover local athletes that move on to college ball. In the 30+ years that I've followed Greeneville/Greene County sports, I've always been disappointed that they don't regularly update us with how the atletes are doing. Whether it's baseball, basketball, football, or any other sport, once they leave, you'll never find anything about them in the Sun.

Obviously, you don't care for Doug Fritz, and that is fine. However you lose credibility when you talk about how poor his coverage is, but then compliment the G'ville Sun's non-existant coverage.

Fritz has not covered Greeneville every week....perhaps you are imagining that.

I'm a G'ville resident and I couldn't disagree more. The Greeneville Rag only gives GHS token coverage. Wayne must be too scared that he will upset the county residents if he does too many G'ville stories. JC Press(Fritz) did an article on Willie 2 months ago. Other than the game preview, the Sun never writes additional articles.

I generally agree with you Barb, but to think that the Sun gives GHS "GREAT" coverage, you must be friends with Wayne Phillips. Can you point to any articles during the season that the Sun had? The only coverage they give is the exact coverage that ALL of the Greene County teams get. I think it's a real shame that Fritz had to do an article that Wayne should have done(Willie's story).

And fritz did one on bj a week ago also a article

Crap Boski, how many adult beverages did you have before you watched this one....those kids were jumping off-sides every other play on defense and many of those weren't flagged. And don't even get me started on the HOLDING...that didn't get called either. I was told by one of our kids that the Bears started trash-talking at them from the very beginning in an attempt to get them off their game and it escalated from there. And that "had no choice but to come out fighting" is nonsense. It's about time someone taught these kids that they DO have a choice.

thats just my opinion ..you dont have to like it ..and you im sure you would not understand ..i saw holding going both ways ..that was by no means a perfect game... and your guys were talking smack also ...just part of the game ....if you ever played a down of football ..you would know what i was talking about ...not the first not the last ....if it was about time someone taught them ...what would you do ..if backed in a corner ?? lay there and cry or come out fighting ...i know what i would do... so if its crap ...then we all are stepping in it ...some more than others

Edited by boski

Im a Devil fan 100% so this might sound bias, but you'd have to be stupid not to be able to notice the attitude of the Trezevant team. I find it offensive to generalize about "every innercity kid" being a thug, but the attitude and displays of lack of self control were very evident. A coach cannot control what a player does on the field, but as soon as that play is over he can yank his tale off the field. That type of lack of self control when not dealt with gives nonverbal affermation to the behaviors. In my opinion, the coach is as guilty as the players. An as far as coach White's philosophy of "playing for repect," I'd worry about the team and let the repect come later. GO DEVILS!

thats just my opinion ..you dont have to like it ..and you im sure you would not understand ..i saw holding going both ways ..that was by no means a perfect game... and your guys were talking smack also ...just part of the game ....if you ever played a down of football ..you would know what i was talking about ...not the first not the last ....if it was about time someone taught them ...what would you do ..if backed in a corner ?? lay there and cry or come out fighting ...i know what i would do... so if its crap ...then we all are stepping in it ...some more than others

They weren't "backed in a corner" Boski...it was a football game, not a street fight. There is NO EXCUSE for those late hits or the hits on the unprotected kicker and holder and there was no excuse for that coach or those officials to let the situation escalate the way it did. I was proud of the way our boys held their composure and did not get drawn into that cesspool. They had been warned that Trezevant would try to push their buttons...it worked against Lexington. I know it took incredible stregnth and perseverance for those Trezevant kids to get to school and practice and stay focused with what they have to deal with every day. And I was very sad that they couldn't keep it together and earn the respect they so desperately wanted. An awful lot of us wanted to see those boys perform and were really disappointed that in the end, they were totally unprepared to compete with Greeneville. I don't think White and his staff prepared them for a team as big and fast as Greeneville...obviously he was convinced that Greeneville was only as good as their competition. Maybe the lesson they take from this one is you are only as good as your preparation.

It's not like he has anything else to do...go look in the jc press archives and see how much he wrote about Greeneville in September and October.

It's not his job to cover Greeneville or Greene County football. Any coverage we get is just a bonus. However, it is(or should be) the Greeneville Sun's job to cover area teams. Wayne Phillips should be embarrassed that the JC Press has written seperate articles on BJ and Willie, while he has done ZERO.

It's not his job to cover Greeneville or Greene County football. Any coverage we get is just a bonus. However, it is(or should be) the Greeneville Sun's job to cover area teams. Wayne Phillips should be embarrassed that the JC Press has written seperate articles on BJ and Willie, while he has done ZERO.

I could not care less how many articles Fritz writes about Greeneville football. I just wish he'd quit using our accomplishments to pick a fight with Alcoa Edited by barb