GREENEVILLE GREENE DEVILS STATE CHAMPS!

DevilMan03

Like Alcoa, Greeneville has it's idiots as fans too--- 99 percent of Greeneville fans are great. Both teams went this year playing mostly backups in the second half, so both teams would have shattered the record if they would have played their starters all 4 quarters throughout the season....

Congrats to Alcoa on keeping the dynasty going, and Congrats to Greeneville on a 15-0 season and winning the state championship!!!!

BTW Greeneville only went for 2 to secure the record, not to run up the score.

Cant wait for WEEK 5 next year :popcorneater:

alcoa would beat greenville by atleast 4 tds i watched both games and thats my predition and i also think lexington would have beat them if they had made it but turnovers is what killed them that was there only bad game lol!!!

If Lexington was that good, they would of beaten them turnovers or no turnovers. After a turnover you still get to play defense or you use too. And if they score they give the ball back to you, it is not make it take it.

Maybe I read the paper wrong but the Devils beat Trezavant 60-12 with the Mercy clock running most of the second half.

Ignorance is bliss except on a chat board.

Edited by noonesfool

Best team in the state?? ....winner Alcoa!!! Only 2010 state champ to defeat another 2010 state champ Maryville from higher class. Impressive!!!

Meow! :twisted: bad kitty! sk'it outa here!

See if T$$AA will throw yal out West next season. Better yet, ask them if they'll just leave the teams in their three regular-season classifications when it comes playoff time.

Soo glad to see 3 take a few snaps from under center. I don't know how the team kept their composure. I must admit I probably would have been ejected;at the very least collected a few yellow hankies...I'm afraid the crew of officials were just as yella as their flags though.

Edited by CharlieArrington33

Greeneville state-championship team among best ever in Tennessee

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

Greeneville set records, changed history, and established itself not only as the best football team in Northeast Tennessee history, but one of the best the entire state has ever seen.

The Greene Devils rolled into Cookeville, with about 5,000 fans in tow, and absolutely destroyed Memphis Trezevant 60-12 in the Class 4A state title game on Saturday at Tennessee Tech University.

Greene Devils’ head coach Caine Ballard said he doesn’t have a problem with his record-setting team being spoken of in the greatest-ever circles.

“I would make that statement because I know how hard these kids have worked and what they’ve put in to get there,†said Ballard, whose team set a Tennessee record for most points in a season with 748. “I think records are held for a reason. This is certainly a special football team.

“If someone wants to mention us as one of the best teams, I’d say we are deserving.â€

First things first: Some people might say Greeneville doesn’t compare with the 1972 Tennessee High team. That observation is acceptable because there is nothing wrong with people being loyal to their own era.

However, the numbers tell a different story. Tennessee High averaged 36.3 points per game in 1972 with a margin of victory of 28 per contest.

Greeneville averaged 49.9 points per game with a margin of victory of 41 per contest. Also, Greeneville had just one four-quarter challenge all season, coming from Nashville Maplewood in the state semifinals.

An argument can be made — and has been made — the Vikings weren’t even the best team in Northeast Tennessee in 1972. They handed Elizabethton its only loss of the year, a 21-15 decision in Week 6, but the outcome was influenced by what Cyclones’ fans have long called an imaginary clipping penalty on a potential game-winning punt return.

Other people who won’t be too fond of Greeneville being called one of the best ever will be the Alcoa folks. The Tornadoes have won seven straight state championships, and seem to be a little touchy when bouquets of love aren’t thrown their way.

However, Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even.

For a look at how things broke down among this year’s top teams, here is the Johnson City Press exclusive all-classification final state rankings:

1. Greeneville (4A)

2. Alcoa (3A)

3. Maryville (6A)

4. Smyrna (6A)

5. Columbia Central (5A)

6. Nash. Maplewood (4A)

7. Knox West (5A)

8. Hendersonville (5A)

9. Memphis Whitehaven (6A)

10. Signal Mountain (2A)

Regardless of how Greeneville is viewed in a historical sense, the Greene Devils need to be congratulated for changing the landscape of Northeast Tennessee football. The Greene Devils’ move to conquer the state should prove beyond a shadow of a doubt this area is capable of bringing home a gold ball in football from time to time.

Yes, this was a special team. But last year’s team wasn’t quite as special, and Greeneville made it to the title game and was a play or two away from winning the first of two championships.

Area football players from the junior class all the way down to middle school should be setting their sights beyond conference titles. Teams need to start thinking about state championships — and start believing it is possible.

Greeneville has paved the road. It’s time for others to travel it.

— — —

The whipping of Trezevant was one of epic proportions. The Greene Devils beat the Bears down so badly, Trezevant’s players responded with street-fight tactics. Trezevant repeatedly got flagged for personal fouls, including two late shots on Greeneville’s kicker after extra points — establishing its own program as classless with a coach who followed suit.

After his team got beaten badly in every phase of the game, Bears’ head coach Teli White was asked how Greeneville compared to some of the other tough teams on Trezevant’s schedule this year.

“They don’t,†White said tersely. “It wasn’t anything (Greeneville) did. We let the referees dictate the way we played.â€

Blaming the refs in a 60-12 loss? Really?

And in a classic contrast when asked about White’s comments, Ballard took the high road.

“We got on them early and got them down a little bit,†said Ballard. “We broke their spirit early. What was going on with the personal fouls and stuff was probably just some frustration by their kids. It’s tough to get here and struggle.â€

B.J. Spradlin said it wasn’t fun dealing with the Bears’ dirty play.

“All you could really do was play through it,†said Spradlin, who carried 31 times for 235 yards and three touchdowns. “It was very tough not to retaliate. We just had to get our minds on the gold ball and not retaliate.â€

alcoa would beat greenville by atleast 4 tds i watched both games and thats my predition and i also think lexington would have beat them if they had made it but turnovers is what killed them that was there only bad game lol!!!

What are you smoking??? 1st off Alcoa Wouldnt even beat Gville, 2nd off they would score 4tds! Gville's Defense was too good this year for any team in the state! Alcoa beat Elizabethton 50-20. Gville beat em 55-14...this doesnt mean anything because both teams prolly had 2nd and 3rd teams in most of 2nd half but i see Greeneville winning this one 28-14 cause your not stoppin willie or bj and shuff!!!

GO BIG GREENE!!!!!! :twisted: