East Tn top 10 teams 2011-2012

westrebel2012

They haven't lost to a Knox County public school in many years and are something like 14-1 over the past 10 years or so. This record includes multiple wins over Bearden, AE, Powell, Halls, Central and your West Rebels. They haven't played the teams you mentioned recently, but you could ask anyone from Maryville who went to the Webb vs Maryville scrimmage this past season and find out how that turned out. Not sure what it would take to prove anything to you but I think if you went around the Knoxville area and asked those who follow HS football, they would tell you that Webb has proven itself and have the respect of many. Just sayin...

I respect WEBB , they have a great program. As far as the scrimmages go... GQ schedules these so he can work on the spots and specific points of interest he really does not try to win or loose them.

Yeah Strong, I know of a guy that is trying to recruit a team from Blount Co. to play in Knox. I think he plans on recruiting the best kids off of mainly the Raider, Southerner, and Alcoa teams and any others that may be in the county. The kids have to try out to make the team and he will only take about 18 players, 20 at the most. Let me know if you know of any of the more serious kids that want to try out, I will put you in touch with him.

Thanks Jake. I think I found out about the guy who is putting it together - if not, I may ask for your help. I don't have a kid that young anymore, but I know of 3-4 southerner/reb and a couple of alcoa parents who have expressed an interest in something more competitive. I will let them know. My neighbor is tied into the bears group so I will let him know as well. I'm not sure about the raider, but I heard their program has dominated recently, so they probably have some kids who could help. It would be a great opportunity for the better players to get into a more competive situation. From what I remember of the parks/rec league, it would also make that league much more balanced if you took 20 of the better players off of the stacked teams. But you never know, some parents may want their kid stay at parks/rec and dominate just like LL.

Thanks Jake. I think I found out about the guy who is putting it together - if not, I may ask for your help. I don't have a kid that young anymore, but I know of 3-4 southerner/reb and a couple of alcoa parents who have expressed an interest in something more competitive. I will let them know. My neighbor is tied into the bears group so I will let him know as well. I'm not sure about the raider, but I heard their program has dominated recently, so they probably have some kids who could help. It would be a great opportunity for the better players to get into a more competive situation. From what I remember of the parks/rec league, it would also make that league much more balanced if you took 20 of the better players off of the stacked teams. But you never know, some parents may want their kid stay at parks/rec and dominate just like LL.

It seems as if the last few years there has been two teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else. That means that the players are practicing and the coaches are coaching for two games in the year, When those two teams meet in the regular season and when they meet each other in the super bowl. The last few years that has been the Raiders and Rebels, with exception of Eagleton Midgets a couple of years ago. To me, that would get pretty boring. I mean the Raiders had games last year against Rockford 57-0, Bears 48-0, Eagleton 71-0, I fail to see either team getting anything out of that. In my opinion, everyone would benefit by someone having tryouts and taking 20 of the more serious, more competitive kids and fielding a team to play over in Knoxville in the XFL. Your thinking is right in line with mine, that they may actually balance the current Blount County league and in the end be what saves it. Last year, Rockford, Eagleton, and Lanier barely had enough kids to make a team and I have to believe that part of the reason that they struggle to get kids out is because the league is so lopsided. That is a hard sale to get kids to come get their brains beat out. If the league was more balanced, I believe it would be easier for them to get numbers back on the field. The question is are there enough kids and parents in Blount willing to possibly sacrifice a Parks and Rec championship in order for the kid to get a lot more out of it. That is not to say that a team from Blount could not win a championship in Knox, because I believe that if the better kids bought in to this that they could, but I have seen first hand the league over there and every game would be a fight. You wouldn't go into many games knowing the outcome before the game started.

It seems as if the last few years there has been two teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else. That means that the players are practicing and the coaches are coaching for two games in the year, When those two teams meet in the regular season and when they meet each other in the super bowl. The last few years that has been the Raiders and Rebels, with exception of Eagleton Midgets a couple of years ago. To me, that would get pretty boring. I mean the Raiders had games last year against Rockford 57-0, Bears 48-0, Eagleton 71-0, I fail to see either team getting anything out of that. In my opinion, everyone would benefit by someone having tryouts and taking 20 of the more serious, more competitive kids and fielding a team to play over in Knoxville in the XFL. Your thinking is right in line with mine, that they may actually balance the current Blount County league and in the end be what saves it. Last year, Rockford, Eagleton, and Lanier barely had enough kids to make a team and I have to believe that part of the reason that they struggle to get kids out is because the league is so lopsided. That is a hard sale to get kids to come get their brains beat out. If the league was more balanced, I believe it would be easier for them to get numbers back on the field. The question is are there enough kids and parents in Blount willing to possibly sacrifice a Parks and Rec championship in order for the kid to get a lot more out of it. That is not to say that a team from Blount could not win a championship in Knox, because I believe that if the better kids bought in to this that they could, but I have seen first hand the league over there and every game would be a fight. You wouldn't go into many games knowing the outcome before the game started.

Sounds like things haven't changed alot since I was around the league. I heard the raider teams have been pretty dominant - I guess that is somewhat of a change. They were unbelievable one year with the Burstrom group. My kids city players were dropping like flies when we played. I doubt this group was that good.

I bet if you asked the coaches from the raiders and rebels they would probably say (and believe) the dominance is primarily due to their coaching! What's the old saying about jimmys and joes not X's and O's? It used to be that we would get the better county kids to come to the city because they didn't want to get their brains beat out - as you say. That must still be happening, but aren't the raiders in the county? My kids coaches actually told me they were coming for the coaching! People sometimes forget that it's pre-puberty, youth, parks/rec football. Jimmys and joes are going to win more times than not.

There was a movement several years ago to try some things to balance the league, but I guess those in power didn't see the need. I think you are right, taking those kids out might be the best way to save the league. I hope something good happens because it has provided probably thousands of kids (many who won't play in HS) an opportunity to play football.

• 3 weeks later...

maryvul was lucky to win 6a...had to do it in a down year...and as luck usually blows, maryville got 1 beating the big boys

the prob...last years mville team ...average

congrats

Oh kay fishin' diddy eye'll bite....Bad knews fer ewe'uns.....Necks yeer Mairvul ort two bee sligthlee abuve avridge....

:flower:

Butt eye will say...Eye do thank yalls got tha best hi skool caps eye've evur seed....Gomer wood be proud.... :thumb:

http://www.zazzle.com/owl_hootie_hoo_baseball_cap_hat-148264117488851544

Edited by STARSNBARS
  • Upvote 1