Miss Basketball Thread

CoachT

I really do not see were holding someone back over a the fact that a Senior is over them. If a player has done more work and spent more time and earn the spot while hold them back. It all shows on the floor every night who comes to play other just here and there. There are good players and then their exceptional players who it is comes easier to them and it shows all the time. Tn has been fortunate to have boys and girls programs in the summer for those who wants to go the next level. Yet, it is just basketball someone going to go home with a lost for the night but is it really a lost or a learning game to prepare for the next game.

Class A

After watching all of these players throughout some point this year, there are five players who stand above the rest in terms of individual play, abilities, statistics, and college potential (any of the three would make great nominees):

1. Carly Daniel, 6-2 Senior F, Wayne County

2. Rachel Garland, 5-9 Junior W/F, Moore County

3. Alycia Simmons, 5-6 Senior CG, Perry County

4. T.T. Flowers, 5-5 Junior PG, Lake County

5. Layce Colter, 5-5 Senior PG, Red Boiling Springs

Others to Consider:

- Keta Robinette, 5-6 Senior SG, Marion County

- Jordan Galey, 5-10 Senior W/F, Greenfield

- Caroline Warden, 5-5 Senior PG, Jackson County

- Heather Vann, 5-10 Senior F, Moore County

- Alaina Jordan, 5-9 Senior CG, Coalfield

What about the Laws girl from Loretto? I watched her play Wayne County and I thought that she was a really good player.

I have seen a lot of girls basketball this year. My vote is going to Carly Daniel from Wayne County. She is very athletic and runs the floor better than any post player I have seen in the last five years. Carly is also a tremendous passer and her scoring ability speaks for itself. I feel like every time I see a box score she has gone for 25 pts and 8 or 9 rebounds. Good luck to her and the Ladycats from Wayne County.

T.T. showed as a freshman at the stste against Oliver Springs and I believe the girl that won Miss Basketball that she could match up.T.T. had over 20 points in that game.Fastest player I've seen in Single A .Now T.T. has more shooters around her and doesnt have to do as much scoring but she is the player that makes them go.Her breaking the press and passing to open team mates and not many can keep her from taking the ball to the basket in the open.Her defense and steals alone are woth 10 points a game.Plus people may not realize it,but she can get off the floor.She plays under the basket wheneven the coach plays a team with a couple big girls a lot to help Carnation.T.T. probably leads the team in blocked shots.Carnation Hart is a special player as well.I really hope to get the opportunity to see Carly Daniel and Carnation go at it.Carnation is so quick,Bradford,Greenfield ,Union City has to double team her down low to keep her her spinning and going for a layup.I've seen her play against players 6'4 in Ann Jones from Liberty and played pretty darn good.So..size isn't going to bother Lake Co like it would against some slower teams.The speed of Lake Co will offset the size in a lot of games.

bigster, not trying to shoot your spirits down too much, but you may not want to see Carly Daniel v. Carnation Hart as much as you think you do. Carly is good and I mean very good. She's good with the left and right hand and makes good post moves. Also, her heigth would be a big advantage for her as Carly is about 6'1 and Carnation is what....? 5'8? If Wayne and Lake were to play, Lake would have the advantage at the guard spots, but not in the post.

Edited by GCPioneer

bigster, not trying to shoot your spirits down too much, but you may not want to see Carly Daniel v. Carnation Hart as much as you think you do. Carly is good and I mean very good. She's good with the left and right hand and makes good post moves. Also, her heigth would be a big advantage for her as Carly is about 6'1 and Carnation is what....? 5'8? If Wayne and Lake were to play, Lake would have the advantage at the guard spots, but not in the post.

Lake Co played them at the camp at Martin earlier this year so they have seen her and Wayne Co.Wayne Co had trouble with the speed of Lake Co.

Just curious.Have you seen Wayne Co play other than the State tournaments?I know you have seen Lake Co maybe once this year.Maybe you should have come to the Lake Co-Humboldt game,Lake Co-Bradford..Lake Co- Trenton game to see Lake Co play really well.And yes..Carnation may be 5'8..Ann Jones is 6'4 and Carnation did pretty well.You think Daniel is better than Ann Jones?Every team Lake Co plays has taller players.Central had a tall girl.Carnation is extremely quick.Every team we have played,she has been able to spin either right or left and score layups.Then the teams have started double teaming her once she gets the ball.I think height is over rated when it comes to girls basketball,especially against a quick team.And again..She's 6'1..Not 6'4..Don't think her height will make that much difference..Maybe her talent will and the talent of Wayne Co..but the height won't .With T.T. on the floor,Lake co was the better team.You say Lake Co is better at the guard spot.Hopefully those big girls will have trouble with the smaller ,quicker girls.The guard spot and handling the ball against Lake Co could be the key for them.In no way am I implying she's not a Miss Basketball candidate or even doesn't deserve Miss Basketball.She may win it.But I look forward and hope we get the opportunity to play against her.That's means both teams will have reached their goals.

Edited by mrbigster

In DII-AA, Clay from GPS is the best player I have seen by far. Reece from BA will likely be a nominee as well. She has big numbers against most teams, although she was held to just 12 points against GPS this weekend,and Clay and GPS won the game. Haven't seen any teams out west, so maybe the 3rd nominee comes from there.

The voters usually don't like to have freshmen as Mr or Ms Basketball...When Laken Leonard was a freshman at RBS she was a finalist, but noone give her much of a chance at winning it because she was just a freshman...

I don't think it should matter what grade you're in as long as you are in high school. Miss Basketball is given to a young lady that is the best in that particular year. It shouldn't matter how many points they've scored in previous years, it should only matter in that one year what the player has done on the court. There are many young lady's that would be very deserving of the award but i'm telling every one right now that Jaycee Coe from Jackson County is one of the best players in the state regardless of the fact that she is a freshman and regardless of what division she plays in and she is on one of the best teams in the state that plays a very very high level of competition. She may not win it but i promise you she should be in the top 5 and is very worthy of consideration. Those of you that have't seen her play, make sure you get a seat up close at the state tournament and those of you that have seen her, well i don't need to say anything. When the opposing team puts their best player on you and face guards you all night long and you still drop over 20 a game you're pretty special :popcorneater:

I don't think it should matter what grade you're in as long as you are in high school. Miss Basketball is given to a young lady that is the best in that particular year. It shouldn't matter how many points they've scored in previous years, it should only matter in that one year what the player has done on the court. There are many young lady's that would be very deserving of the award but i'm telling every one right now that Jaycee Coe from Jackson County is one of the best players in the state regardless of the fact that she is a freshman and regardless of what division she plays in and she is on one of the best teams in the state that plays a very very high level of competition. She may not win it but i promise you she should be in the top 5 and is very worthy of consideration. Those of you that have't seen her play, make sure you get a seat up close at the state tournament and those of you that have seen her, well i don't need to say anything. When the opposing team puts their best player on you and face guards you all night long and you still drop over 20 a game you're pretty special :popcorneater:

Exactly right! I'll go one step further and say that I wish there were some means to remove name and class from the equation,taking only stats into consideration.Some formulation of points,rebounds,assists,steals,and opponents winning percentages...ect could be created to crown the true best player in a classification for a single season. I find it more impressive that a 14-15 year old compiles the stats to be considered among the best,playing against upperclassmen every night than the contemparary thought process of "she hasn't earned it yet".

Exactly right! I'll go one step further and say that I wish there were some means to remove name and class from the equation,taking only stats into consideration.Some formulation of points,rebounds,assists,steals,and opponents winning percentages...ect could be created to crown the true best player in a classification for a single season. I find it more impressive that a 14-15 year old compiles the stats to be considered among the best,playing against upperclassmen every night than the contemparary thought process of "she hasn't earned it yet".

Totally agree with you and maybe they do i'm not sure but generally underclassmen do not win it for whatever reason.

Lake Co played them at the camp at Martin earlier this year so they have seen her and Wayne Co.Wayne Co had trouble with the speed of Lake Co.

Just curious.Have you seen Wayne Co play other than the State tournaments?

I watch WC just about every game and I've been very suprised that they haven't lost more games than just 1. Carly is having a good year but WC is not even close to being as good as they could be. They have had teams in the past that would blow this team off the court. This may be the year that they win it though.