Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Then what is the difference ( or rule ) if he takes the snap ( his knee is on the ground ) and gets up to throw a pass or run the ball ?

ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes dead and the down is ended:

a. When a runner goes out of bounds, is held so his forward progress is

stopped or allows any part of his person other than hand or foot to touch

the ground.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his knee(s) on the

ground and with a teammate in kicking position catches or recovers the snap while

his knee(s) is on the ground and places the ball for a kick, or if he rises to advance,

hand, kick or pass; or

2. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his knee(s) on the

ground and with a teammate in kicking position rises and catches or recovers an

errant snap and immediately returns his knee(s) to the ground and places the ball for

a kick or again rises to advance, hand, kick or pass.

NOTE: The ball becomes dead if the place-kick holder muffs the snap or fumbles and

recovers after his knees have been off the ground, and he then touches the ground

with other than hand or foot while in possession of the ball.

If the kicking team scores on a fumbled kickoff and the clock runs out, why would the PAT not be tried? This happened in our first game of the season.

If this took place during the last play of the game it was done properly. There is no PAT. If it happened at the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd qtrs then the PAT would be attempted.

Edited by footballref

This one puzzled me...whistle blows before the snap...penalty is announced as "offsides on the defense"...I didn't see any movement on the line, could have missed that but certain that there was no contact...how is that possible? I was told that, in the words of the official "the defense lined up in the neutral zone", but that was second hand information. Again, the ball was never snapped... how was there a penalty? The call went in our favor so I'm not griping, just curious.

This one puzzled me...whistle blows before the snap...penalty is announced as "offsides on the defense"...I didn't see any movement on the line, could have missed that but certain that there was no contact...how is that possible? I was told that, in the words of the official "the defense lined up in the neutral zone", but that was second hand information. Again, the ball was never snapped... how was there a penalty? The call went in our favor so I'm not griping, just curious.

It sounds like you was told right. If either team is in the neutral zone it's a foul.