portland basketball coaching vacancy

Cleggy

I read in the news today that Kris Hooper resigned yesterday as head boys basketball coach at Portland High School. Who will they hire to turn that program around? It hasn't been very successful since Corey Brewer graduated and they made the move to AAA. Also, I understand that Portland is the smallest AAA school in Tennessee. That's tough. I feel for them and hope they get a coach that can help them.

I read in the news today that Kris Hooper resigned yesterday as head boys basketball coach at Portland High School. Who will they hire to turn that program around? It hasn't been very successful since Corey Brewer graduated and they made the move to AAA. Also, I understand that Portland is the smallest AAA school in Tennessee. That's tough. I feel for them and hope they get a coach that can help them.

I dont know, that place is where good coaches go to die. Single A talent in a AAA league. VERY unrealistic parents and administration; it was a forced resignation. Any coach taking that job is walking into a very tough situation. There are NO Corey Brewer's walking those hallways.

I dont know, that place is where good coaches go to die. Single A talent in a AAA league. VERY unrealistic parents and administration; it was a forced resignation. Any coach taking that job is walking into a very tough situation. There are NO Corey Brewer's walking those hallways.

You’re dead on.

As a 9-AAA fan, I had a chance to see Portland play a couple of times this past season. What I saw was a group of kids who played their hearts out for their coach. It was unfortunate there was little, if any talent. They appeared to be well coached, disciplined, and organized, just didn’t have the quality athletes that other teams in 9-AAA had. It is very disappointing to see the Portland administration let go these young dedicated coaches because they have unrealistic expectations.

What a shame. Best of luck to Coach Hooper.

Eda

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Regardless who the smallest school in AAA is…Who wants this job? Combine the genes of Phil Jackson, Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski , John Wooden, etc… and it wouldn’t matter. I wouldn’t recommend anyone taking a coaching job in any male sport at Portland High School. You won’t be successful and you will get fired. Unrealistic expectations and below average talent for AAA competition. Basketball coach was fired, football coach was fired, and the baseball team has avg maybe 3-4 wins a season over the last 3 years.

Regardless who the smallest school in AAA is…Who wants this job? Combine the genes of Phil Jackson, Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski , John Wooden, etc… and it wouldn’t matter. I wouldn’t recommend anyone taking a coaching job in any male sport at Portland High School. You won’t be successful and you will get fired. Unrealistic expectations and below average talent for AAA competition. Basketball coach was fired, football coach was fired, and the baseball team has avg maybe 3-4 wins a season over the last 3 years.

Why do you suppose that is? Lack of youth sports programs? I don't live there, so i don't know. The school supposedly has the population to support a adequate talent pool. It has a good history and should have tremendous support from the community (alumni). Cory Brewer sponsors an AAU boys basketball team, but guess what, there not even based out of portland nor does it have Portland boys on it. How can that be? I know this America and he can do what he wants, but come on support your hometown and school. As a Blue Devil supporter, we regard Portland as our biggest rival and its sad to see the state of affairs there now. I guess Greenbrier and Goodpasture are more important games to me now.

Well, when the new principal fired Corey's mom, I think that may have burned a few bridges...smart move Gideon! You have an NBA player as an alumnus and you fire his mom? I think she was a teacher's aide at that...even if she's dead weight, she's got a lifetime contract if I am in charge. Just keep those donations rolling in! But that gives you an idea of the brainiacs who are making decisions over there. When Mrs. Grogan was principal, Corey came back all the time. He was also in college during that time but still...