Oak Ridge Football

Wildcats much much stronger under Blade this year then the past 2 years.. I am ready for this season.

http://www.oakridger.com/preps/x1556865502/Lift-A-Thon-shows-football-teams-strength

With Oak Ridge making it to the semi-final round last year, are most fans expecting Oak Ridge to finish better this season? I can imagine that expectations are high in the Ridge this year!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Oak Ridge making it to the semi-final round last year, are most fans expecting Oak Ridge to finish better this season? I can imagine that expectations are high in the Ridge this year!

Well, we return most every starter from last year 92, except for Jose Valedon, Geoff Card and a few select others. I think we will be a better all around team this year, and definitely stronger up front on both sides of the ball. Theu say the 3rd year in a new coaches tenure are usually when things really start to gel and take off, so we shall see. Either way, imo i think we will be better then last year, does that mean we will make it as far? idk, but were going to be a tough team to play for anybody i believe.

Oak Ridge may have a better team than last year's, but I don't believe they'll do as well. I see this year's opening game against Farragut once again being a toss-up, and I see the Wildcats being decisive underdogs at Powell and at Maryville. They should win the rest of their games. At 7-3 or 8-2,they will likely be a #3 or #4 seed in QUADRANT 1 this fall rather than a #5 seed in always-weak QUADRANT 2... Oak Ridge will be seeded behind Maryville (best team in the state), Kingsport D-B, and Sevier County (gaudy regular season records/weak regular season schedule.) Oak Ridge will likely catch the runner-up from Region 2 (Bearden? Knoxville Catholic?) in the first round of the play-offs, and their season may end there.Oak Ridge got a tremendous break in the 2010 play-offs by being placed in Quadrant 2 with Cookeville, Bradley Central,etc.....the Wildcats were mediocre during the regular season.

Oak Ridge may have a better team than last year's, but I don't believe they'll do as well. I see this year's opening game against Farragut once again being a toss-up, and I see the Wildcats being decisive underdogs at Powell and at Maryville. They should win the rest of their games. At 7-3 or 8-2,they will likely be a #3 or #4 seed in QUADRANT 1 this fall rather than a #5 seed in always-weak QUADRANT 2... Oak Ridge will be seeded behind Maryville (best team in the state), Kingsport D-B, and Sevier County (gaudy regular season records/weak regular season schedule.) Oak Ridge will likely catch the runner-up from Region 2 (Bearden? Knoxville Catholic?) in the first round of the play-offs, and their season may end there.Oak Ridge got a tremendous break in the 2010 play-offs by being placed in Quadrant 2 with Cookeville, Bradley Central,etc.....the Wildcats were mediocre during the regular season.

Bradley Central was far from a bad team, and so was riverdale, and we went on the road and beat both of those teams, nothing shabby about that. There is nothing easy about going on the road and beating a team in the playoffs, and we did it 3 games in a row. It is extremely tough to go on the road and beat 3 teams, and we did it, so to say our kids didn't get better as the season progressed is pretty shallow. Give credit where it is due. I agree, we were mediocre for the most part, but Scott Blades teams are notorious for getting better as the season goes along. I think we will be underdogs at the teams you mentioned, but most teams are going to be playing them teams away.Both games we played against Maryville last year were very tough, hard fought games. I guarantee you if you ask any maryville fan they will tell you Oak Ridge is a tough hard hitting bunch. Both of those games were lost based upon out turnovers, and Maryville cashing in on them. Neither of them games did maryville just line up and knock us off the ball. They scored in both games, mainly on long passes and broke down coverages, and interception returns for td's..They had one long run in both games, one...and that was from Robinette..I bet they did have 100 yards rushing in either game. But, we still lost, and they took advantage of our mistakes. But, to say we are that far behind them is not true, we are closer then a lot of people think. And to say we would lose to Catholic or Bearden in the first round?! How do you figure? I doubt very seriously Bearden will be as good as they were last year, and what makes you thinhk Cath will mop the field with us???? And btw, playing 3 straight away games in the playoffs, is not an easy road my friend.

Well, we return most every starter from last year 92, except for Jose Valedon, Geoff Card and a few select others. I think we will be a better all around team this year, and definitely stronger up front on both sides of the ball. Theu say the 3rd year in a new coaches tenure are usually when things really start to gel and take off, so we shall see. Either way, imo i think we will be better then last year, does that mean we will make it as far? idk, but were going to be a tough team to play for anybody i believe.

I believe OR has all the pieces in place to make a very deep run again this year. Most of the players they have coming back have been starting for at least 2 if not 3 years now. I would still be a little concerned about the running game. Im still not sure if OR has the type of rb OR is used to having like they did back in the day. I have heard that Hall is looking really good in practice.....maybe he will step up and be that type of runner OR is used to having.

• 3 weeks later...

Wildcats much much stronger under Blade this year then the past 2 years.. I am ready for this season.

http://www.oakridger.com/preps/x1556865502/Lift-A-Thon-shows-football-teams-strength

You got to tell us what CAK looks like when Oak Ridge scrimmage them this fall. Hate to say but I think Oakridge is going to have a great season.lol I do hope you all win every game but one... Lets talk some football and hold off on having some fun till AC / OR week :thumb:

OR will beat Maryville this year, imo.

When Maryville was in our district a few years back....i found myself saying the same thing year after year. I would say "you know what? I bet Central will beat Maryville this year" Central is gonna be loaded, but it would never happen.

I would say "i bet Alcoa beats Maryville this year" again...it wouldnt happen. If there is a team out there OR would love to beat, its Maryville! If im not mistaken, thats a team OR has never beaten in football. That would be motivation enough right there as far as im concerned.

When Maryville was in our district a few years back....i found myself saying the same thing year after year. I would say "you know what? I bet Central will beat Maryville this year" Central is gonna be loaded, but it would never happen.

I would say "i bet Alcoa beats Maryville this year" again...it wouldnt happen. If there is a team out there OR would love to beat, its Maryville! If im not mistaken, thats a team OR has never beaten in football. That would be motivation enough right there as far as im concerned.

Actually Dragon, we are 3-7 against the boys from Maryville...with 3 of those losses coming in the 40's we spanked them pretty good a few times in the late 60's

Actually Dragon, we are 3-7 against the boys from Maryville...with 3 of those losses coming in the 40's we spanked them pretty good a few times in the late 60's

I would love if Oak Ridge beats Maryville!!! It would help AC out....lol They would alomost half to have a small let down after that huge win..... GO Wildcats!!!!