SPRINGFIELD FOOTBALL 2011 (100 YEARS)

LEON

With the 2011 season approaching , this will mark the 100th season of the storied football program.Coach Meyers and his staff have done an outstanding job of rebuilding the program.I am very excited about the upcoming season and can't wait for it to begin.What are some other thoughts on the 2011 season. I know the Jackets have several starters returning from the 8-3 team a year ago, but the schedule has been up-graded with the addition of long time rival Gallatin. Also with this being the 100th year of Springfield Football,what are some of your more rememberal games or seasons of the past 100 years. Here are some my favorites in my lifetime.1967 Clarksville,1975 BGA,1980-81 Gallatin,1981 Mt.Juliet & Dickson Co.,1984 Clinton,1988 White House,1993 Humbolt,1993 State Championship vs McMinn Central,1994 Goodpasture,1997 Pearl-Cohn,1997 Tullahoma,2001 Columbia,2004 Mt.Juliet,2006 Hunters Lane,2009-10 Northeast.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheatham County in 1995, 1996, and 1999 were all games that I personally recall enjoying. From 1995-2000 I remember Cheatham County & Springfield having some battles in the old Region 6-4A. I believe that during this time the 2 schools split 3-3.

In 1997 the 2 schools nearly met up in the 2nd round of the playoffs but the Cubs fell short in their upset bid at Tullahoma that year in the opening round of the playoffs. Springfield beat Tullahoma the following week (before falling to Pearl-Cohn in the Quarterfinals).

Don't know much about Springfield football but if you were around for a '67 game, I would say you know a lot about there history. What is important about '67 against Clarksville?

Clarksville entered the game unbeaten and ranked #1 in the state,the Jackets were 2-0-1 and ranked 8th.Clarksville coached by Johnny Miller and Springfield coached by the legendary Boyce Smith. Clarksville led 13-7 late in the 4th and had the ball at mid-field with a 4th and 1 situation,the Cats went for it but the Jacket defense held and took over on downs. Springfield completed its only pass attempt of the game to the one yd line and then scored,the PAT was just short and the game ended in a 13-13 tie (no OT this era). A crowd of over 8,500 watched this classic at Boyce Smith Field. Springfield went on to finish 8-1-2, losing only to MBA,who I think won the state that year. Springfield went on to win the North Central Conference that year and won the Tobacco Bowl over Smyrna. The Springfield-Clarksville rivalry was the oldest un-enterupted game in the state until 1993, when Clarksville opted out.

Here are some of my favorites:

• 1988 Page - SHS won 6-3 for their first playoff win in many moons (maybe ever). Game was played in the pouring rain. SHS lost 7-3 to David Lipscomb in the second round of the playoffs finishing 7-5. IMO, this season set the foundation for hard work, dedication, and success for the football program.

• 1991 David Lipscomb (second round playoff game)- after suffering some closes to the Mustangs, the Yellow Jackets got that monkey off their back and overwhelmed David Lipscomb 34-7. SHS went on to finish 12-2 for the season (state semifinalist)

• 1993 Humboldt (second round playoff game) - SHS won 27-7. That game was payback from the Vikings beating us on our home turf in the state quarterfinals and ending our perfect season.

• 1993 White House (regular season) - WH won 17-14 in OT...but (see below)

• 1993 White House (state semifinals) - PAYBACK!!! SHS won 12-6 in the pouring rain!!!

• 1993 McMinn Central - STATE CHAMPS!!!

• 1994 Humboldt - HHS was favored to win and had Kelcy Williams (best RB in 3A). SHS won 17-14 at Humboldt. SHS finished 10-4 with a disappointing loss at Portland (state semifinalist)

Edited by bellgo

Here are some of my favorites:

• 1988 Page - SHS won 6-3 for their first playoff win in many moons (maybe ever). Game was played in the pouring rain. SHS lost 7-3 to David Lipscomb in the second round of the playoffs finishing 7-5. IMO, this season set the foundation for hard work, dedication, and success for the football program.

• 1991 David Lipscomb (second round playoff game)- after suffering some closes to the Mustangs, the Yellow Jackets got that monkey off their back and overwhelmed David Lipscomb 34-7. SHS went on to finish 12-2 for the season (state semifinalist)

• 1993 Humboldt (second round playoff game) - SHS won 27-7. That game was payback from the Vikings beating us on our home turf in the state quarterfinals and ending our perfect season.

• 1993 White House (regular season) - WH won 17-14 in OT...but (see below)

• 1993 White House (state semifinals) - PAYBACK!!! SHS won 12-6 in the pouring rain!!!

• 1993 McMinn Central - STATE CHAMPS!!!

• 1994 Humboldt - HHS was favored to win and had Kelcy Williams (best RB in 3A). SHS won 17-14 at Humboldt. SHS finished 10-4 with a disappointing loss at Portland (state semifinalist)

My favorite was last year's game against Greenbrier. It was a barn burner of a game with Springfield running away with it in the first quarter haha. 27-0! what a game!

Glad to see their program back on the rise. It is a great feat no doubt. 100 years of anything is impressive. I got a feeling they will have a big year in 2011. Good squad!!!

Favorite players from Springfield

Myron Babb, Torvis Gardener (Best Reciever in history), Mike Thomas(One of the best running backs in Jacket History), They had a defensive end when Babb played that was unreal cant remember his name. Does anyone remember? Charlie Forte was one heck of a fullback. Where are these guys now. Springfield had some unreal speed in the day.

Clarksville entered the game unbeaten and ranked #1 in the state,the Jackets were 2-0-1 and ranked 8th.Clarksville coached by Johnny Miller and Springfield coached by the legendary Boyce Smith. Clarksville led 13-7 late in the 4th and had the ball at mid-field with a 4th and 1 situation,the Cats went for it but the Jacket defense held and took over on downs. Springfield completed its only pass attempt of the game to the one yd line and then scored,the PAT was just short and the game ended in a 13-13 tie (no OT this era). A crowd of over 8,500 watched this classic at Boyce Smith Field. Springfield went on to finish 8-1-2, losing only to MBA,who I think won the state that year. Springfield went on to win the North Central Conference that year and won the Tobacco Bowl over Smyrna. The Springfield-Clarksville rivalry was the oldest un-enterupted game in the state until 1993, when Clarksville opted out.

Didnt Dwight Carroll play in this particular game; I believe this is right around the time he played but not sure.....

Didnt Dwight Carroll play in this particular game; I believe this is right around the time he played but not sure.....

This was later, Dwight Carroll played on the 1964 and 1965 NCC Championship teams , earning all-confernce honors. He gave the ultimate sacarafice , being a casuality in the Vietnam War. His younger brother David was on this team ,who also was a outstanding player later. The Carroll family also had Hugh Carroll of the unbeaten Jacket teams of the late 30's. Jerry Carroll prior to Dwight , was an outstanding player on the powerhouse teams of 1960-63.Some notable names on the 67 team were: Jackie Brinley, Gary Kieth,Randy Thomas,Mike Krisel,Cal Porter,Pat Beck,Martin Borthick,Dale Walpole and Ronnie Hollingsworth.

This was later, Dwight Carroll played on the 1964 and 1965 NCC Championship teams , earning all-confernce honors. He gave the ultimate sacarafice , being a casuality in the Vietnam War. His younger brother David was on this team ,who also was a outstanding player later. The Carroll family also had Hugh Carroll of the unbeaten Jacket teams of the late 30's. Jerry Carroll prior to Dwight , was an outstanding player on the powerhouse teams of 1960-63.Some notable names on the 67 team were: Jackie Brinley, Gary Kieth,Randy Thomas,Mike Krisel,Cal Porter,Pat Beck,Martin Borthick,Dale Walpole and Ronnie Hollingsworth.

Thanx for clearing that up Leon; I believe Greg Bell played w/ either Danny or David Carroll and judging from your post, I am assuming it was Danny.....