Blount County Football

countryREB

The thread is Blount County football so let me hear some opinions on this: What are the pros and cons of Alcoa getting back on the schedules of Heritage and William Blount. This would allow a return to a true "Blount County champion". I jokingly said on another thread that Blount County needs to annex Greenback and get the 'Kees in the mix.

The only "Pros" that I see is that it would limit travel times for teams. I dont know WB or Heritage schedules the past few years but Alcoa has had to travel all over Gods creation to pick up ball games.

The excuse I always heard...I dont dont know how accurate it is, is that when one of the 6A schools lose to the smaller school it doesnt help their team any. But if they beat the school, since they're still a smaller school it still doesnt help them. Which I completely disagree with the statement......hints why Im not sure how accurate it is, as Alcoa and Maryville both have proven you and win and lose against different size competition and still be competitive.

Ive also heard its had some things to do with the "swapping of coaches" more or less a few years ago but its all whatever to me. Id like to see the county title be brought back but the people that pull the strings need to get over whatever they're on first.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02 worth..

Alcoa is young... May be down a little this year.. Will be much better next year.. Well Coached...

Maryville just reloads.. GQ and staff adjusts to the strengths of the players.. Won't miss a beat as long as GQ and staff are in place..

William Blount has played well and poorly this year.. Sometimes in the same game.. Not a fan of Gregory's system but he has brought a little stability.. I wish he and the Govs the best...

Heritage has struggled for a long time.. Hope they can turn it around..

As for the peewee situation.. I agree with GovMan.. Can't see him pulling anything bush league.. The bottom line is when the ball is marked for play and the whistle blows.... The defense had better be ready to play! The blame may lay with the opposing coach.....

tpoole12

[3. Still have not seen Alcoa Middle, but have heard they are bigger than some high schools. I have seen MMS and if Alcoa is going to beat them, then they better be good, which I have heard they are. MMS will get to measure where they are tonight against a stout Sevier Co. team.

4. Don't know much about the pee wee situation, but Southerners coach is as good as they come. While some may not agree with it, if it did not get stopped or called back by the officials, then evidently there was no wrongdoing. Whoever the opposing coach was, may want to get up to date on the rules.

Jake my friend and old coaching buddy, I'll bet you a coke on that middle school game. As for the peewee thing, I said it was legal, just (bush league) as mlreb described.

Edited by alcoanation

I dont want it to come of as "bashing" (although I know there is at leas one person here that Im sure will try to twist my words) but Id really like to see William Blount and Heritage turn the corner with their programs. I know WB has seemed close a few times and then kinda fall back and Heritage has just been off for so long. It makes you proud to see the local kids all over doing well. Maryville will and always will be Maryville. I think until the big three (GQ, Ellis, Gaylor) Maryville will always be a threat. Even without them they might not lose much but GQ might be Immortal and out live everyone else anyway lol. I think Alcoa will be fine for the regular season. The only hiccup on the road I see would be against CAK. CAK has the better O but Alcoa has the better D so I would lean more towards a close low scoring Alcoa win but as we saw a few weeks ago...anything can happen. Hopefully as the season goes more guys will come back from injury. Also hopefully we lose the slippery hands problem we've had the past couple games. I know someone will complain about this but Id really love to see Oggs play some as a slot receiver. Personally I feel Wall has the more accurate arm but Oggs is just too much of a beast to not be on the field. Once Vee returns have him in the backfield with Chapman/Turbyfill and then spread the field out with 3 WRs in Ferguson, Warfield and Oggs...you have double threat with a passing and running game. It will open larger lanes up for Vee as well and will force teams to not stick 9-10 in the box on us like Maryville did. The deeper into the playoffs Alcoa goes I think the scores and games will become closer. I still think Alcoa has plenty to win and 8th straight but they're going to have to play A ball and limit mistakes.

Agree 100%. You can do alot out of that slot position with a good player. I would love to see that look. We've got to get some of the defenders out of the box!

Agree 100%. You can do alot out of that slot position with a good player. I would love to see that look. We've got to get some of the defenders out of the box!

Now see...That's twice on this topic someone said its a good idea...if nothing else just to try it....Why is it when I mention it in "other places" on the forum people get butt hurt and say Im calling Coach Rankin a bad coach and dont support the team. :rolleyes:

Jake my friend and old coaching buddy, I'll bet you a coke on that middle school game. As for the peewee thing, I said it was legal, just (bush league) as mlreb described.

Hey alcoa nation, how are you? I better not be betting on the game, the elders may de-church me. I hope I am able to come see at least part of the game, it should be a good one. Has AMS been faring better than the high school in the injury department? It seems like the high school is losing one every few days. As far as the pee wee thing is concerned, I did ask around and found out what game that it was and with that being said, I think those two coaches have mutual respect for one another and I don't think any ill will was intended. I appreciate what both coaches are doing for our young boys and therefore don't want to stir this pot.

As a long-time supporter of WB (from the beginning) I would give my eye-teeth to see William Blount put Alcoa back on the schedule. Them not playing is an "adult thing" not a "kid thing." And yet it is the kids that catch the flack at WB for not playing Alcoa.

Would WB have taken some beatings in the last few years? Sure. But up until they stopped playing, WB had actually became competitive in the series, winning some. I believe it is a shame that they don't play.

Thanks for the reply Gov. I consider you the most classy poster on CoachT.

[quote name='jake' timestamp=

Hey alcoa nation, how are you? I better not be betting on the game, the elders may de-church me. I hope I am able to come see at least part of the game, it should be a good one. Has AMS been faring better than the high school in the injury department? It seems like the high school is losing one every few days. As far as the pee wee thing is concerned, I did ask around and found out what game that it was and with that being said, I think those two coaches have mutual respect for one another and I don't think any ill will was intended. I appreciate what both coaches are doing for our young boys and therefore don't want to stir this pot.

As of right now we are pretty healthy. If we were beat up, my boy might get in lol. Two weeks to go and anything can happen in that lenght of time. As for the pee wee thing, I should not have brought it up. Water under the bridge. I checked with your elders and you can bet a coke. I'll take us and give you 6 points.