Single A Baseball

FlyingEagle86

Seen Friendship play last year there was nothing about the atmosphere that was christian. Just a bunch of rich people that use religion to seperate themselves from others, cause they think their crap don't stink.

I was talking about the Christian atmosphere at the school everyday. You wouldn't understand unless you experienced it. I'm sorry we don't get together and pray after every inning like you apparently think we should.

I too believe A has gone down in the last few years. When I started playing high school baseball in 2001 at RBS we were an average team at best. We met up with FCS a couple of times in the region and they were head and shoulders above us, as well as other teams in the region. After watching FCS in the last few years, I thought they had better teams, especially in 05, than they do now. During those years it was A baseball was dominated by Goodpasture and USJ, who eventually went up a classification and end up playing each other 2 years after moving up in the AA state championship. I see some of these teams now and FCS and Riverside dominate the A class. After these 2 there is a pretty big drop off in the teams, in my opinion.

That's great, I hope the player ( if he wants) gets to sign with any of those schools. Keep in mind interest is one thing, signing is another. I agree FC can hold their own with Leb and WC..... Mj is too deep.... but on any given night who knows.

But overall 1A is weak......weak...weak.... so IF a player can play at a AAA school and get time on the field, he should do so...

Index, I do appreciate your civil open minded discussion on this matter, but I could not disagree with you more on a couple of points. To suggest that Lebanon is a better program than FC is comical. In '07 Lebanon got a new coach and finally agreed to play FC and the Commanders beat the Devils twice. Lebanon stopped playing FC. They played last year because they basically had nothing to lose and beat FC 4-2, with their ace on the mound. The Devils treated it like a tournament game, which I took as major respect toward the Commanders. Secondly, if a kid is good enough to play for Lebanon, WC, or MJ does not mean that they should automatically go to that school. Many reasons for choosing FC over the public alternative, but since we are speaking about athletics, by going to FC you are playing for a championship every year. Go to Lebanon or WC and maybe you can get a winning record. To claim that is a better accomplishment is hogwash. Dog pilling in the Boro feels just as good doing it after the first game as it does the third game.

Index, I do appreciate your civil open minded discussion on this matter, but I could not disagree with you more on a couple of points. To suggest that Lebanon is a better program than FC is comical. In '07 Lebanon got a new coach and finally agreed to play FC and the Commanders beat the Devils twice. Lebanon stopped playing FC. They played last year because they basically had nothing to lose and beat FC 4-2, with their ace on the mound. The Devils treated it like a tournament game, which I took as major respect toward the Commanders. Secondly, if a kid is good enough to play for Lebanon, WC, or MJ does not mean that they should automatically go to that school. Many reasons for choosing FC over the public alternative, but since we are speaking about athletics, by going to FC you are playing for a championship every year. Go to Lebanon or WC and maybe you can get a winning record. To claim that is a better accomplishment is hogwash. Dog pilling in the Boro feels just as good doing it after the first game as it does the third game.

I don't think he claimed it was a better accomplishment, but rather the competition was a lot better in AAA than it would be in A. Last year they played 14 games, tournaments included, against region opponents and then Portland, Macon County, and McGavock. So 16 of the 36 games they played was against lesser opponents. Out of those 17 teams I named only 1 had a winning record. You are correct by saying when these kids choose to go to FCS they get to play for a championship, but what index is saying that if they have a chance to be able to get on the field and play at the AAA level then they should because the competition is much tougher at that level.

I don't think he claimed it was a better accomplishment, but rather the competition was a lot better in AAA than it would be in A. Last year they played 14 games, tournaments included, against region opponents and then Portland, Macon County, and McGavock. So 16 of the 36 games they played was against lesser opponents. Out of those 17 teams I named only 1 had a winning record. You are correct by saying when these kids choose to go to FCS they get to play for a championship, but what index is saying that if they have a chance to be able to get on the field and play at the AAA level then they should because the competition is much tougher at that level.

Swanson, I took the implication for what it was because I hear it all the time around here. Now, by saying they should play AAA ball if they have the ability is ridiculous. I would rather my son play for a good program and for titles. If you are a good player then you will have the opportunity to play at the next level. FC has sent many kids on to play college ball, while playing what is being labeled weak competition. FC plays many AAA schools every year and does well, which gets them ready for the post season. This whole argument of less competition is all the local AAA schools have to try and steer kids away from from FC,but for the most part it does not work.

Edited by orangecrush

I understand the points you make with the Lebanon games, and there's nothing wrong with FC or any other 1A schools. As far as playing for a Championship every year.....my thoughts on the matter.

Here is basically how I see it at FC....

Get as many good players as you can in the athletic program. ( nothing wrong with this ) some players at FC could/can/have played at area High schools.

Go beat the the heck out RBS, Watertown.....etc....maybe win the 1A championship tournament.

To me that's not what I would want.... I would rather play top level AAA talent night in and night out, and if I did not win the AAA tourney, so be it....

FC = big fish little pond syndrome

Swanson, I took the implication for what it was because I hear it all the time around here. Now, by saying they should play AAA ball if they have the ability is ridiculous. I would rather my son play for a good program and for titles. If you are a good player then you will have the opportunity to play at the next level. FC has sent many kids on to play college ball, while playing what is being labeled weak competition. FC plays many AAA schools every year and does well, which gets them ready for the post season. This whole argument of less competition is all the local AAA schools have to try and steer kids away from from FC,but for the most part it does not work.

I doubt any MJ players are wanting to play at FC.

The best players at at any level will get an opportunity to play at the next level. But past the first tier recrutiing the AAA players will take all the spots before the 1A players. It's just a fact..... recruiters looking at who you play...... for instance to a college recruiter a player of same ability that is striking out players against Oakland, Riverdale and Farragut will get more attention than a player striking out kids against 1A talent.

I understand the points you make with the Lebanon games, and there's nothing wrong with FC or any other 1A schools. As far as playing for a Championship every year.....my thoughts on the matter.

Here is basically how I see it at FC....

Get as many good players as you can in the athletic program. ( nothing wrong with this ) some players at FC could/can/have played at area High schools.

Go beat the the heck out RBS, Watertown.....etc....maybe win the 1A championship tournament.

To me that's not what I would want.... I would rather play top level AAA talent night in and night out, and if I did not win the AAA tourney, so be it....

FC = big fish little pond syndrome

Once again, I would rather my son play in a well coached, tradition rich program, that plays for championships. FC plays the AAA schools throughout the year when they are not playing in district, and do very well. Again, the dog pile feels the same when winning the A championship and the AAA championship.

Edited by orangecrush

The best players at at any level will get an opportunity to play at the next level. But past the first tier recrutiing the AAA players will take all the spots before the 1A players. It's just a fact..... recruiters looking at who you play...... for instance to a college recruiter a player of same ability that is striking out players against Oakland, Riverdale and Farragut will get more attention than a player striking out kids against 1A talent.

The kids of the same talent level will have their talent elevated when they are being coached well. Not saying that this is not taking place at the other schools, but I know how the FC kids are being coached. Also, I know that Coach Hunt at Cumberland comes calling to Coach McNeal every year wanting to know what he has. The kids at FC have every opportunity the other AAA kids have.