Single A Baseball

FlyingEagle86

Once again, I would rather my son play in a well coached, tradition rich program, that plays for championships. FC plays the AAA schools throughout the year when they are not playing in district, and do very well. Again, the dog pile feels the same when winning the A championship and the AAA championship.

I guess this is just what makes us different, The "dog pile" in high school is not as important to us as the "dog pile" later on down the road. FC does some AAA schools, if you want to count McGavock, Gallatin and Portland

Again this has gotten off topic a bit....this thread was intended to discuss players at 1A schools verses 3A schools, once again a FC supporter has hyjacked the thread.

Edited by indexspace

The kids of the same talent level will have their talent elevated when they are being coached well. Not saying that this is not taking place at the other schools, but I know how the FC kids are being coached. Also, I know that Coach Hunt at Cumberland comes calling to Coach McNeal every year wanting to know what he has. The kids at FC have every opportunity the other AAA kids have.

Your delusional.......Coach McNeal is a good coach, he is not a great high school coach. You think he is, you think 1A players get the same looks from college recruiters that AAA players get...your nuts....you want to believe that..... It's ok to be the big fish in the little pond....if that's what you want....get a good team, beat undersized weak talent and then tell each other how great you are.....but don't try to convince people who have been there and have gone through many recruiting seasons that there is not a difference.

There's a huge difference....

You will not hear me say anything bad about Coach Hunt......he runs a top notch program....and he also knows the value in keeping a few local boys on the team.

I guess this is just what makes us different, The "dog pile" in high school is not as important to us as the "dog pile" later on down the road. FC does some AAA schools, if you want to count McGavock, Gallatin and Portland

Again this has gotten off topic a bit....this thread was intended to discuss players at 1A schools verses 3A schools, once again a FC supporter has hyjacked the thread.

Wrong sir. Check the title to this thread. It has nothing to do with AAA baseball, but you came on here and began to rip the A kids and the FC program, therefore, I don't see the hijacking comment as being relevant. It is unfortunate though. I am simply taking up for the type of baseball played at the A level.

Edited by orangecrush

Your delusional.......Coach McNeal is a good coach, he is not a great high school coach. You think he is, you think 1A players get the same looks from college recruiters that AAA players get...your nuts....you want to believe that..... It's ok to be the big fish in the little pond....if that's what you want....get a good team, beat undersized weak talent and then tell each other how great you are.....but don't try to convince people who have been there and have gone through many recruiting seasons that there is not a difference.

There's a huge difference....

You will not hear me say anything bad about Coach Hunt......he runs a top notch program....and he also knows the value in keeping a few local boys on the team.

I am glad that you hold Coach Hunt in such high esteem because I know for a fact that he values Coach McNeal's opinion. The reason is because he respects the program that Coach McNeal runs at FC. This discussion is going nowhere and I will not spend any more time wasting it on a person that has nothing better to do than try and build up some at the expense of others. Everything you have said in regards to FC, single A baseball kids getting recruited, and Coach McNeal is your opinion. An opinion that is shared by some and refuted by others. Either way FC will keep on winning titles and best of luck to the others in the community.

Edited by orangecrush

You,my friend are the one off topic.This thread is entitled "Single A Baseball...who will win it all",no refrence to 1A vs. 3AAA at all.Friendship does not have to defend to me(or anyone else)why a student would choose to enroll at,and subsequently play for their program,and any kid'd be silly not to be proud to earn a spot on their roster.It bothers me that small rural schools have to compete with whomever has had a better recent past regarding 'transfers'(I didn't use the "R" word!)with homegrown talent,but thats the rule...and until/unless they're caught breaking rules...well that's fair(I guess).What does bother me is the fact that some 'hater' trolls around these boards until the name of a particular school(of which I'd guess they are jealous)appears,and let the bashing begin...then when called out to defend why,the "what'd I do,I didn't start it" act!Go back to some topic that concerns you and leave the "argueing" over 1A ball to those of us who care.Have a nice day!

You,my friend are the one off topic.This thread is entitled "Single A Baseball...who will win it all",no refrence to 1A vs. 3AAA at all.Friendship does not have to defend to me(or anyone else)why a student would choose to enroll at,and subsequently play for their program,and any kid'd be silly not to be proud to earn a spot on their roster.It bothers me that small rural schools have to compete with whomever has had a better recent past regarding 'transfers'(I didn't use the "R" word!)with homegrown talent,but thats the rule...and until/unless they're caught breaking rules...well that's fair(I guess).What does bother me is the fact that some 'hater' trolls around these boards until the name of a particular school(of which I'd guess they are jealous)appears,and let the bashing begin...then when called out to defend why,the "what'd I do,I didn't start it" act!Go back to some topic that concerns you and leave the "argueing" over 1A ball to those of us who care.Have a nice day!

You my brother speak the truth. Not to mention, the last time I checked a public rural school has won the last 3 state titles (Riverside back to back and Summertown). There are plenty of great programs around this state in small towns, but many of the AAA school supporters don't pay much attention and automatically believe that they play better ball. Look at Vandy the last several years (Mike Minor from Forrest, Drew Hayes from McKenzie, soon to be Stephen Gant from Riverside). Lots of good ball being played at the A ranks despite what some might think.

Edited by orangecrush

The best players at at any level will get an opportunity to play at the next level. But past the first tier recrutiing the AAA players will take all the spots before the 1A players. It's just a fact..... recruiters looking at who you play...... for instance to a college recruiter a player of same ability that is striking out players against Oakland, Riverdale and Farragut will get more attention than a player striking out kids against 1A talent.

What I get from this is that all the kids are going to get looked at first who go to AAA schools? For the most part I agree with what you say, but this I do not. A is weaker but the kids who are good enough to play will go to college and play. I believe a kid a couple of years ago, if i'm not mistaken led the A state in homeruns, that played for FCS was looked at by Belmont and another from FCS, Michael Wheeler, was drafted by the Royals. Gant from Riverside has, or so I was told, signed with Vanderbilt. Jordan Collier from Jackson County signed to a small college as well, I can't remember exactly where though. So there is plenty of talent making it to the next level, but there are more players that sign to these big schools in AAA because like I said before it is easier to find a stud in a group of 800 kids than it is 200 kids. There isn't as many kids signing to the big school in A ball, simply because there isn't enough talented enough to sign with big schools. If a guy is throwing 90+ or if a guy hit 15+ homeruns during a high school season he's going to get looked at reguardless of classification.

Edited by swanson71

You my brother speak the truth. Not to mention, the last time I checked a public rural school has won the last 3 state titles (Riverside back to back and Summertown). There are plenty of great programs around this state in small towns, but many of the AAA school supporters don't pay much attention and automatically believe that they play better ball. Look at Vandy the last several years (Mike Minor from Forrest, Drew Hayes from McKenzie, soon to be Stephen Gant from Riverside). Lots of good ball being played at the A ranks despite what some might think.

All the privates that dominated before are now in AA or division II. When I was playing USJ and Goodpasture dominated the A scene, in 05 FCS made it to the state championship where they faced off against USJ with an unpleasant result. Really the only dominate private school left in A, or the only one I can currently think of, is FCS. FCS has never been my favorite school, but they have top notch facilities and take pride in there baseball and softball and I can appreciate that!

Wrong sir. Check the title to this thread. It has nothing to do with AAA baseball, but you came on here and began to rip the A kids and the FC program, therefore, I don't see the hijacking comment as being relevant. It is unfortunate though. I am simply taking up for the type of baseball played at the A level.

Your right I was confused with another thread.... I apologize and I will keep my opinions to myself

Edited by indexspace

What I get from this is that all the kids are going to get looked at first who go to AAA schools? For the most part I agree with what you say, but this I do not. A is weaker but the kids who are good enough to play will go to college and play. I believe a kid a couple of years ago, if i'm not mistaken led the A state in homeruns, that played for FCS was looked at by Belmont and another from FCS, Michael Wheeler, was drafted by the Royals. Gant from Riverside has, or so I was told, signed with Vanderbilt. Jordan Collier from Jackson County signed to a small college as well, I can't remember exactly where though. So there is plenty of talent making it to the next level, but there are more players that sign to these big schools in AAA because like I said before it is easier to find a stud in a group of 800 kids than it is 200 kids. There isn't as many kids signing to the big school in A ball, simply because there isn't enough talented enough to sign with big schools. If a guy is throwing 90+ or if a guy hit 15+ homeruns during a high school season he's going to get looked at reguardless of classification.

I agree with you, the top tier athletes are going anyway, Wheeler , Gant, Sweeney such as the ones you mentioned, but the second tier is not going to come from 1A it's coming from Dll an AAA

All the privates that dominated before are now in AA or division II. When I was playing USJ and Goodpasture dominated the A scene, in 05 FCS made it to the state championship where they faced off against USJ with an unpleasant result. Really the only dominate private school left in A, or the only one I can currently think of, is FCS. FCS has never been my favorite school, but they have top notch facilities and take pride in there baseball and softball and I can appreciate that!

The USJ team of which you speak helps to validate my feelings of unfairness toward the rural schools,as(I believe'05 was the year)if you check the roster there was a young man named Gant playing for them too...Stephens brother.I can't have hard feelings toward anyone who takes advantage of a situation to better themselves,just that the "situation" hurts the hometown team.USJ provided transportation(sent a van)to and from,and applied a scholorship for Gant to play(50+ miles one way).Gant and USJ were both winners with the state title and a private school education,Riverside the loser.USJ break the rules...no,was it "fair" to the community?Sorry to stray off topic,just sorta' gravitated to it.