Single A Baseball

FlyingEagle86

Thats ludicris...poll all the major leaguers out there and see how many teammates from high school of theirs made the bigs,they don't draft in pairs.More kids in a particular school=better chance to have a kid with talent,and thats as far as that goes.I'll also agree that stats may look better against weaker competition,but with AAU ball,summer leagues,and sponsors private showcase events high school games are not where scouts go to evaluate talent.Scotts Hill has three kids with an invite to the under armor event in Florida,garnered from 'tryouts' in Germantown...put yourself out there and(if you can play)someone will find you.

I didn't say major league.I said college.Look it up.See who playing,Some of the kids from 1A out play the kids from bigger schools in summer league.But when they go back to the college team......they don't play...I'm 50 years old, and I could get invite to under armor event in Florida if I payed the money to go.....We have had 4 or 5 kids from 1A teams invited to these events all over from cape cod to disney.If you pay you can go to these events.

Edited by lancer10

My job lets me meet alot of these college and high school coaches.I was at MTSU about 6 or 7 years ago.I was there talking with the coaches,they had a summer try out going on.I watch the kids hit.One of the kids hit about 6 to 8 homeruns.I ask them if they could get him to play at MTSU.They said that he was from a 1A school.That he would have to go to a junior college first.This kid hit 6 to 8 homeruns out of about 20 to 25 pitches,the other hits were shots.....I don't know what happen to this kid, he may have went there later.......Most college coaches I have talked too say the same thing...Even at some junior colleges......

Edited by lancer10

My job lets me meet alot of these college and high school coaches.I was at MTSU about 6 or 7 years ago.I was there talking with the coaches,they had a summer try out going on.I watch the kids hit.One of the kids hit about 6 to 8 homeruns.I ask them if they could get him to play at MTSU.They said that he was from a 1A school.That he would have to go to a junior college first.This kid hit 6 to 8 homeruns out of about 20 to 25 pitches,the other hits were shots.....I don't know what happen to this kid, he may have went there later.......Most college coaches I have talked too say the same thing...Even at some junior colleges......

From what I have been told if you are a pitcher it does matter as much if you play at a small school. If you have the arm and the control you can move on. For position players it is a much different game. It is this way at any level. Pitchers are measured differently than position players. I have have a few scouts tell me that if a pitcher has what they are looking for then they do not care as much about the size of the school. They definately take it into account though.

I have had a college recruiter tell me that he goes to the best AAA schools in the state first.....then he might hear about a kid at a small school and look into him. If he really has the stuff then he is added to the list, followed etc...

But for position players, you better be hitting 30 HR's at 1A to get chance. If you do not think for a moment that playing against better talent game in and game out, not just a few games, is not going to make you more prepared for the college game you are fooling yourself. I know a kid at a Dll high schook that hit like 35 HR's ina season, he attended a bigger school than 1A and he washd out in JUCO ball, conversely I know a kid that hit 12 HR's at a AAA school and he went ans is still playing D1 ball.

Here is some sound advice, make a list of schools your son would like to attend to get an education and play some ball as well., pick a D1 a D2 a D3 a NAIA and a JUCO....then take your kid to the camps that these coaches are having at their campus. Believe me the coaches will tell you what they think and where they think your son can play. You can showcase him unitl his arm falls off, and you will only have less money and a sore arm.

What did Friendship do that was so satanic

FC fans are a bunch of rich punks. They use their private school status to exclude yet they want to be included in public school activities. They are very disrespectful of others. That cowbell needs to be shoved up you know where. Very annoying and distracting to players and fans. In the end all the pomp and privilege couldnt help em hit Gant though.

FC fans are a bunch of rich punks. They use their private school status to exclude yet they want to be included in public school activities. They are very disrespectful of others. That cowbell needs to be shoved up you know where. Very annoying and distracting to players and fans. In the end all the pomp and privilege couldnt help em hit Gant though.

So what you are saying is Friendship is Unchristian because they support their team with cowbells? Boy they really are satan's spawn over in Possumtown aren't they.

Please think on this question a little more before you try to answer it again.

And where are you from?

Edited by classof82

I understand the points you make with the Lebanon games, and there's nothing wrong with FC or any other 1A schools. As far as playing for a Championship every year.....my thoughts on the matter.

Here is basically how I see it at FC....

Get as many good players as you can in the athletic program. ( nothing wrong with this ) some players at FC could/can/have played at area High schools.

Go beat the the heck out RBS, Watertown.....etc....maybe win the 1A championship tournament.

To me that's not what I would want.... I would rather play top level AAA talent night in and night out, and if I did not win the AAA tourney, so be it....

FC = big fish little pond syndrome

There are plenty of weak teams in AAA as well. Look at LaVergne, Smyrna and Gallatin for example. There are plenty of Singel A teams that can compete with and beat 90% of AAA teams. Not every team plays at the level of Mt. Juliet or Farragut. You put Riverside, FC, Eagleville or Summertown in Rutherford counties AAA this year or last and and they would finish in the top 2. Mike Minor is from Forrest and now plays for the Braves. Carcuff from Cascade has signed with Austin Peay, Gant from Riverside has signed with Vandy and Eagleville has got 4 starters on this years team that have committed to various colleges. Many AAA schools are scared to play a strong Single A school because they don't want to get embarressed.

Clarksville Academy should be strong as well. The 2010 team was 23-10 and finished runner-up in district 10-A to NCS. CA then won the district tournament, after winning the district and finishing runner-up in 2009. CA was knocked out by a 2-0 score in the first round of the playoffs by Cascade last year. In that game, the Cougars had two hits and one error, and gave up one hit as two stellar pitchers were showcased.

High school baseball is a funny game, and the whole season rides on one single game in the first round of the playoffs. Who knows what will happen in 2011!

In 2011 CA returns 7 starters after graduating 2 seniors.

ClarksvilleAcademyBaseball.com

You play in a weak district. NCS was simply not very good last year and knowing that you lost to them speaks volumes. Cascade had descent pitching and could hit but they were a poor defensive team especially on the right side. You will have to improve drastically to even have a shot at making it to Sub-State.

I know baseball season is a while away,but from who each team has returning who will be playing for the state championship? My picks are Eagleville vs. Riverside... Thoughts?

This makes sense. Eagleville played toe to toe with Riverside until the 5th inning at Spring Fling last year and should have a stronger team this year than last.

• 2 weeks later...

Friendship will be back in it and is the favorite in my mind. I was a senior on the team last year and I'm sure I am the one being referred to as the DH, I was only the DH for maybe three games. I played a position most games even though my labrum was torn and I pitched in a few as well. The pitcher you are referring to only pitched in maybe three or four games because he got hurt early in the year and was pretty much out the rest of the year. Losing the center fielder will be the biggest loss, he was the only healthy one of us three. Friendship also returns a player that missed last year due to Tommy John, he was all state his freshman year where he went 14-1. He also shut down Riverside his eighth grade year in the state tournament when we took them to extra innings. He is a very talented player and he will be dominant if he is healthy. If the underclassmen, who are now upperclassmen, can pitch like they did in the state tournament last year then this team will be hard to handle. Riverside has one great player with a bunch of average players. Friendship is a team full of very good high school baseball players at any level, much less Single A.

You're clueless, Riverside is loaded with talent. They've played for the State Championship 3 years in a row and won it the past two whipping FC's butts last year. They are not only the top dog in single A but one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the entire state regardless of class. FC will be very good no doubt and may be back in the State but come tournament time matchups are key, especially pitching. Riverside has been able to keep Gant in reserve until the championship game the past couple of years so beating them in the first couple of rounds and forcing them to use him early is the best bet. I understand backing your team but do your homework.

union city is gonna win 1a cuz they are the stuff cristian couger, luke chunk searcy, drew cooley emo and the ginger bread man him self clay treece will win state and leave stevan gant in the dust

Wait...hold on....just a minute.....I'm still having trouble getting up from the floor after rolling with laughter....speaking of dust, you musta just done some angel dust to make that comment. :roflol:

I love how the "sally league" single A teams fight with each other on this board. It's hilarious....... it's like watching midget wrestling. with the exception of a few players, this league is a notch above P.E.

this line says it all.... Can you deal up a 88 mph heater? Check ..... 88 ? funny.....

You have no clue. I'd put Riverside up against most anyone in the state, Farragut being the big exception. That's like saying Cal State Fullerton and Rice can't play with Texas or LSU etc... yet they do. The top 5 or 6 teams in 1A would be very competitive in any class because they have depth in pitching and hitting. You make it sound like there aren't 1A teams that can hit a 92 mph fastball or 1A pitchers that can shut down big school hitters, lets see Mikey Minor Atlanta Braves, Gant/Vandy, etc, etc... No not all 1A's but the best of them, yes.