TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

Here is the quote from the paper "TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress said that while the player's residency changed from Georgia to Tennessee, he had not moved into Signal Mountain's zone, making him ineligible to participate in athletics at the school."

It clearly says the players residency changed from GA to TN. They are questioning if he moved into the zone. Again nothing has changed since they ruled him to be eligible prior to the season.

I guess you need to go back and re-read my post. You are assuming that his parents didn't keep a residence in Georgia or the place they had. That is exactly what bit P.C. in the behind. To spell it out in crayola, you are assuming that everything in the documents was the truth. Furthermore, the school choice doesn't automatically come with a tssaa waiver, a point which you have essentially dodged.

If the Tssaa gave him eligibility then it was to play sports at sm. Hamilton county declares it ok as to what other school he can attend for academics. Everyone other than the true posters, and we all know who they are, need to realize this is all about zoning and if the kid is actually living where he says he is. The Tssaa could have made a mistake who knows. If they did, I don't see how they could punish the school or the kid.

It may have not been anyone to turn him in. We all know that anyone rising to fame quickly gets investigated eventually.

If the Tssaa gave him eligibility then it was to play sports at sm. Hamilton county declares it ok as to what other school he can attend for academics. Everyone other than the true posters, and we all know who they are, need to realize this is all about zoning and if the kid is actually living where he says he is. The Tssaa could have made a mistake who knows. If they did, I don't see how they could punish the school or the kid.

It may have not been anyone to turn him in. We all know that anyone rising to fame quickly gets investigated eventually.

Here is a key part of the story. Apparently, he could have been eligible to play for Howard.

LFO, Heritage and Ringgold all played their spring games at Heritage on May 21, and coaches from those schools said McClendon participated for LFO that day, meaning he potentially could be ineligible for one calendar year to play for any team outside the zone in which he currently lives.

The Tssaa could have made a mistake who knows. If they did, I don't see how they could punish the school or the kid.

I realize it is a different organization, but I posted this example earlier. The NCAA told Memphis that Derrick Rose was eligible to play. So, Memphis played him like any other university would. Then, the NCAA went back and made him ineligible, and they punish Memphis for using a player who was declared eligible. My point is, you can’t always depend on these organization to do what seems rational.

Edited by GvilleDevilsFan

Yes, which is thought to be Howard. However, it could be that his folks still have their place in Georgia. Its now a wait and see from the TSSAA.

It used to be that if you moved you had to have the utilities disconnected at the residence you were moving from. i haven't read all the links from the TSSAA on this thread, so forgive me if I've been repetive.

It used to be that if you moved you had to have the utilities disconnected at the residence you were moving from. i haven't read all the links from the TSSAA on this thread, so forgive me if I've been repetive.

It is still basically that way. However, it seems that one of the key things is he participated in spring scrimmages with LFO. That apparently means he would only be eligible to play outside of his zoned school after 1 year. (see quote from paper in my last post)

I guess you need to go back and re-read my post. You are assuming that his parents didn't keep a residence in Georgia or the place they had. That is exactly what bit P.C. in the behind. To spell it out in crayola, you are assuming that everything in the documents was the truth. Furthermore, the school choice doesn't automatically come with a tssaa waiver, a point which you have essentially dodged.

Don't believe that is the issue, but don't know for sure. We are all just speculating at this point.:blink:

As others have stated, the T$$AA's eligibility rules have not kept pace with state and federal laws surrounding Public School Choice. TN.gov Federal Programs: Public School Choice

It would appear that the T$$AA has the latitude to rule either way on this. This case may come down to how the Hamilton County Board of Education defines the "territory" of its high-achieving schools that have special programs not available at its "high priority" schools. And ... as you state, that Childress man has the option to grant waivers. Since he knew the circumstances of this student's transfer before the season and ruled him eligible, I hope he will uphold his initial eligibility determination. If not, the eligibility of all student athletes attending a school under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001

will be in question.

Regardless of the outcome of this case, I hope the T$$AA, as it refines its eligibility rules, doesn't force kids to chose between transfering for a better education and staying at a high priority school to remain eligible for sports.

It is still basically that way. However, it seems that one of the key things is he participated in spring scrimmages with LFO. That apparently means he would only be eligible to play outside of his zoned school after 1 year. (see quote from paper in my last post)

Section 13.b of the by-laws address this 1 year ineligibility. The issue, I believe, surrounds the definition of "territory".

Don't believe that is the issue, but don't know for sure. We are all just speculating at this point.:blink:

As others have stated, the T$$AA's eligibility rules have not kept pace with state and federal laws surrounding Public School Choice. TN.gov Federal Programs: Public School Choice

It would appear that the T$$AA has the latitude to rule either way on this. This case may come down to how the Hamilton County Board of Education defines the "territory" of its high-achieving schools that have special programs not available at its "high priority" schools. And ... as you state, that Childress man has the option to grant waivers. Since he knew the circumstances of this student's transfer before the season and ruled him eligible, I hope he will uphold his initial eligibility determination. If not, the eligibility of all student athletes attending a school under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001

will be in question.

Regardless of the outcome of this case, I hope the T$$AA, as it refines its eligibility rules, doesn't force kids to chose between transfering for a better education and staying at a high priority school to remain eligible for sports.

What about the statements from the Ringold and Heritage coaches? If he participated in the spring events, then he wouldn't be able to get eligibility to participate in TSSAA events for one year outside of his zoned school which is Howard, apparently. That is also assuming there is no original residency issue like with PC. However, you are correct on 2 things. At this point it is speculation. #2- the TSSAA will likely be reviewing its guidelines to clearly address these sort of issues. I tend to believe that they in the future will not allow eligibility simply because of NCLB because that act is strictly about academics and he isn't being denied that. The fact is there are a lot of other kids that don't qualify for eligibility for various reasons. This is just one of the many situations. The reason I doubt the TSSAA will allow this in the future is because it is too easy for it to get turned into a No Athlete Left Behind.

What about the statements from the Ringold and Heritage coaches? If he participated in the spring events, then he wouldn't be able to get eligibility to participate in TSSAA events for one year outside of his zoned school which is Howard, apparently. That is also assuming there is no original residency issue like with PC. However, you are correct on 2 things. At this point it is speculation. #2- the TSSAA will likely be reviewing its guidelines to clearly address these sort of issues. I tend to believe that they in the future will not allow eligibility simply because of NCLB because that act is strictly about academics and he isn't being denied that. The fact is there are a lot of other kids that don't qualify for eligibility for various reasons. This is just one of the many situations. The reason I doubt the TSSAA will allow this in the future is because it is too easy for it to get turned into a No Athlete Left Behind.

Wouldn't that position force kids in high priority school zones to choose between academics and athletics?

Section 13.b of the by-laws address this 1 year ineligibility. The issue, I believe, surrounds the definition of "territory".

This is the text for Section 13b

b. A student who transfers as a result of a change of residence is ineligible unless (1) the old residence

is outside the territory of the new school, and (2) the new residence is both outside the territory of the

old school and inside the territory of the new school;

I am pretty sure here that the issue is that the new residence isn't inside Signal Mountain's Territory. If it is ruled that Howard is inside SM's territory, there probably will be no issues assuming the move from Georgia included shutting down electric service etc.