5-A playoffs (may get very interesting)

GWAVE1

Gallatin cannot get a #1 due to Antioch winning their district. The best we can hope for is a #2. But I think Gallatin can beat Beech but first they have to beat Portland.

Which is extremely sad. Is that the same team that Station Camp hammered, yet Station Camp may not make the play-offs. I had no idea. I guess the same would be true for a school like Cookeville. They play in a terrible league (worst in the state), but win it, so they would get a higher seed? Is that correct?

Sorry, but this play-off system is week. Please go back to 3 classes and let the chips fall where they may. When you try to make everyone happy, nobody is happy! Why don't we just give everyone a trophy? Oh wait, we started that about 25 years ago in most little league sports.

Edited by 13sports

Add Munford, now 3-5 and likely to win out, to the list of teams projecting to the field of 32. TSSAA needs to address the number of teams in Districts to level the playing field. Districts 6 and 13 are a joke with only 5 members in each. My suggestion: regardless of district size, each team has to schedule a minimum standard number of games within its classification to qualify for playoff consideration. It is unfair for some conferences teams to have a predetermined 7conference games at the AAA level while others have only 4 required games at the AAA level. Munford has scheduled to their benefit with two games vs AA teams and two more vs A teams. If total wins is the primary criteria for becoming eligible for the playoffs and it is based on classification, everyone should be required to schedule to the same criteria. And I'm not picking on Munford or White Co. These schools are just taking advantage of the loophole TSSAA has given them: the flexibilty to schedule more games with smaller schools .

Add Munford, now 3-5 and likely to win out, to the list of teams projecting to the field of 32. TSSAA needs to address the number of teams in Districts to level the playing field. Districts 6 and 13 are a joke with only 5 members in each. My suggestion: regardless of district size, each team has to schedule a minimum standard number of games within its classification to qualify for playoff consideration. It is unfair for some conferences teams to have a predetermined 7conference games at the AAA level while others have only 4 required games at the AAA level. Munford has scheduled to their benefit with two games vs AA teams and two more vs A teams. If total wins is the primary criteria for becoming eligible for the playoffs and it is based on classification, everyone should be required to schedule to the same criteria. And I'm not picking on Munford or White Co. These schools are just taking advantage of the loophole TSSAA has given them: the flexibilty to schedule more games with smaller schools .

Crawdad..."i think" I agree with you. First..question..how in the world did Jackson Northside beat Liberty Tech..then Munford beat Northside 29-7? With Frayser and Westwood to go..Munford "might sneak in"...which I agree...is not exactly admirable...but it appears that this is how they (Munford) drew it up! While Covington, Millington, Dyer County, & Brighton isn't exactly "cupcake city" finishing off with Frayser and Westwood should be frowned upon by the TSSAA as far as playoff status is concerned!

On the other hand...is there a big disparity between the last 4 in and the first 4 out? Again..just asking the question? What's the real difference between Anderson County and Daniel Boone in the big scheme? Morristown East is currently the 8 seed in Quad 1...are they any better than Munford? I guess what I'm asking...from teams 26-32...does it really matter?

Crawdad..."i think" I agree with you. First..question..how in the world did Jackson Northside beat Liberty Tech..then Munford beat Northside 29-7? With Frayser and Westwood to go..Munford "might sneak in"...which I agree...is not exactly admirable...but it appears that this is how they (Munford) drew it up! While Covington, Millington, Dyer County, & Brighton isn't exactly "cupcake city" finishing off with Frayser and Westwood should be frowned upon by the TSSAA as far as playoff status is concerned!

On the other hand...is there a big disparity between the last 4 in and the first 4 out? Again..just asking the question? What's the real difference between Anderson County and Daniel Boone in the big scheme? Morristown East is currently the 8 seed in Quad 1...are they any better than Munford? I guess what I'm asking...from teams 26-32...does it really matter?

Great question, good point....to answer in specific terms I'd say there can be a huge diffenence. If you will look at the tiebreaker categories you will get a good feel for Morristown East. They are at 9 in the 50% category and out the roof in total wins of opponents. Just 2 weeks age they had Morristown West beat when West drove the field for the winning TD in the last 1:30 aided by 40 yards in penalties. I have projected them in with a 4-6 record for three weeks now believing there would not be 32 five win teams. I now believe Mo-East will actually win 5 themselves. They are good enough imo, to upset any 5A team outside the top 5 or 6 in the state on a given night. They have played a very tough schedule.

My point is classification must matter or we wouldn't have it. I know smaller schools can beat larger schools, but stats and common sense will show the percentage is larger over smaller, so everyone should have to schedule the same number in their own classification to make it fair.

Mostly likely it doesn't but sometimes it does. It is a good question though. It does matter if it causes other teams to move quads. For instance, Munford and Bartlett qualifying and Clarksville getting moved to quad 3. Or several East Tenn schools qualifying and making a Columbia move back to quad 3 or Powell moving back to quad 2. In other cases like in 93' McMinn Cent goes to the finals after a mediocre regular season and more recently Livingston Aca going 5-5 then winning the state. Both would have been very low under the current playoff system but both made big impacts.

Great question, good point....to answer in specific terms I'd say there can be a huge diffenence. If you will look at the tiebreaker categories you will get a good feel for Morristown East. They are at 9 in the 50% category and out the roof in total wins of opponents. Just 2 weeks age they had Morristown West beat when West drove the field for the winning TD in the last 1:30 aided by 40 yards in penalties. I have projected them in with a 4-6 record for three weeks now believing there would not be 32 five win teams. I now believe Mo-East will actually win 5 themselves. They are good enough imo, to upset any 5A team outside the top 5 or 6 in the state on a given night. They have played a very tough schedule.

My point is classification must matter or we wouldn't have it. I know smaller schools can beat larger schools, but stats and common sense will show the percentage is larger over smaller, so everyone should have to schedule the same number in their own classification to make it fair.

I believe Mo East is better than their record but I also think Mo West is really not as good as they think.

To me it makes sense to give more credence to teams in a lower classification that play up. Manipulating the system is fine in order to get wins but that doesn't necessarily help you come playoff time. In fact I think it hurts you. As Calvin Short used to say, "if you play a team in a lower classification and win, you are expected to, if you lose you look bad." I tend to agree.

Last year Lenoir City got in with 4 wins. There is a chance they could only have 4 wins this year too. Could they get back in with only 4 wins? They play in one of the toughest districts in the state. I think they would give a lot of teams fits that may have better records. Just wondering thoughts....

Last year Lenoir City got in with 4 wins. There is a chance they could only have 4 wins this year too. Could they get back in with only 4 wins? They play in one of the toughest districts in the state. I think they would give a lot of teams fits that may have better records. Just wondering thoughts....

Granted they play in one of the toughest districts in the state, but I still think they'll be a 1st round exit if they get in. However, you never know in the playoffs. There's a fair share of upsets ever year.

I agree completely with your last sentence. Franklin High, a 6a school, plays more 5a schools than Centennial, a 5a in the same district does. Something is very wrong with that. This system still rewards weak scheduling.

5A playoffs with field of 32 looking pretty solid: Henry Co., Powell, Gallatin, Columbia, Morristown West, Memphis East, Shelbyville, Dyer Co., Beech, Hendersonville, Ooltewah, Tullahoma, Cherokee, Knox West, Glencliff, Clarksville, Clarksville NE, South-Doyle, Sullivan South, Antioch, Tennessee High, Springfield, Station Camp, Centennial, Ridgeway, Hamilton, Cleveland,

that makes 27teams either with 5 or more wins in the bank or the 5th win on the remaining schedule in the "can't miss category"

Bartlett vs Craigmont will give the winner a 5th and eliminate the loser. 28

White Co. , Anderson Co. and Munford are strong candidates to win out and go from 3-5 to 5-5 in the season's final 2 weeks 29-31

And the 32nd team on the list will be Morristown East at 5-5 or 4-6

Others with reasonable hope by taking care of their own business with "slight" upsets: Cocke Co. and/or Boone

Hoping several falter or planning on a major upset: Lenoir City

Don't see your 5A team on the list and think they still have a puncher's chance? Tell us who and why.