Nashville Christian @ Gordonsville

croz6110

Well, SP was like a mash unit that year and the backfield was full of freshmen except for the blocking back. Freshmen tailback, freshmen full back and banged up in several places. We had a 10th game to win the district with a very good copper basin team at their place. They had a pair of all state QB that year and how we beat them up there with the injuries was short of a miracle. We then won a couple of playoff games but our star blocking back/qb had the only bad game in his 3 years as a starter and muffed a punt and tried to do too much. We have been banged up this year, but no where near as bad as 1987.

Hmmmmmm I thought Rodney cummings was a Senior, RLH?? As far as injuries your guys must have been hurt early in the year as all the film we saw the numbers matched. Your BB/QB did have a rough game that night but he was not the reason for the loss. Take a look at your big OT maybe number 77 or 71?? You tell me how we read him all night long.

I was really hoping to hear from some NC posters, but I guess us and the guys from SP can keep it exciting this week.

As for Friday, I was looking at some films from some of my glory days :roflolk: and I realize part of the reason that this year's team plays with no excitement is the crowd. The crowd used to be louder and bigger.

I understand that it's hard for the crowd as well to get up and attend the game for crappy teams, but it translates to the players.

I would love for the atmosphere for the rest of our games to be like it was for the Carthage game.

So, the Gville fans should come out in droves, and bring whatever noisemaker you can.

My kids make plenty of noise, so I'm bringing them. :roflol:

Either way, the Jungle needs to be rocking Friday, and that's on the crowd, not the players.

"The Jungle" will be just fine this week. Trust me Croz. Nashville Christian sucks. Gordonsville will mercy rule them this week then someone else again next week. We all know that the only team that can give Gordonsville a game in the east this year is South Pitt and we aint too sure how much fight we will give you.

BTW, Rodney Cummings DID play in the 1987 game vs Gordonsville. He was basically out the entire season and tried to come back and play that night. I remember #12 for SP had one of his worst nights ever that night. I remember him fumbling punts, etc. It just wasn't a good night for the pirates. Gordonsville lost the next week to Greenback in the semifinals as Greenback claimed the state championship that season.

Edited by TheAmbassador

Gordonsville will win by a lot in this one. This will not be a game. Too much talent on Gordonsville side and not enough on NCS. The only thing I wonder about is how is the teams attitude this year. I tend to hear a Moose team tends to self destruct. I want to play Gordonsville. I like good football. They will show Eagleville a lesson the next week.

I have to say I was expecting to play Moore County but this is the playoffs and anything can happen. Croz, this will acually be the third meeting the Nashville Christian as Gordonsville played then in 1985 in the Bellbuckle Bowl and won. Our young men and Coaches are ready for the games to begin. I expect them to come out Friday with some fire. It would not surprise me to see is with a slow start but it will not take long for them to adjust and get going. I will go ahead and say final score Gordonsville 42 Nashville Christian 7.

I have to say I was expecting to play Moore County but this is the playoffs and anything can happen. Croz, this will acually be the third meeting the Nashville Christian as Gordonsville played then in 1985 in the Bellbuckle Bowl and won. Our young men and Coaches are ready for the games to begin. I expect them to come out Friday with some fire. It would not surprise me to see is with a slow start but it will not take long for them to adjust and get going. I will go ahead and say final score Gordonsville 42 Nashville Christian 7.

You want have to worry about #7 he aint got it M C shut him down we just made some bad turnovers at crucial time of the game that we haden't been doing, you might say we shot ourselfs in the foot no excuses just facts.

1987. 36-0. A lot is being made of injuries and other things but what I remember was a loss for SP. From what I remember Rodney Cummigs was their starting TB and he did play that evening despite reports to the contrary. Now some like to lay the blame at their BB/QB's feet but I can tell ya an offensive lineman for the pirates was the "key" that night.

You are wrong. Rodney Cummings was out for the season after the first couple of games. We had a freshman named Patrck Pitts at tailback that game. I did't lay the blame on the BB/QB. I said that is the only bad game I ever saw him have as 3 years as a starter in part because he was having to make up for a young inexperienced backfield. Furthermore, a healthy Pirate team kicked your butts on that same field the year before with a guy name Carl Lehr running all that place.

Hmmmmmm I thought Rodney cummings was a Senior, RLH?? As far as injuries your guys must have been hurt early in the year as all the film we saw the numbers matched. Your BB/QB did have a rough game that night but he was not the reason for the loss. Take a look at your big OT maybe number 77 or 71?? You tell me how we read him all night long.

He was and he was out for the season with a hairline fracture in his leg. He played the first game against Jasper and had the fracture in that game. He ran a 99 yard TD against Jasper with the fracture and it had to be one of the slowest 99 yard runs I ever saw. He played a little in the next 2 games but when the fracture was found, that was it for the season. He was a tight end and DE in 1986. He was moved to TB in 87. He went to Alabama A&M on scholarship.

You are wrong. Rodney Cummings was out for the season after the first couple of games. We had a freshman named Patrck Pitts at tailback that game. I did't lay the blame on the BB/QB. I said that is the only bad game I ever saw him have as 3 years as a starter in part because he was having to make up for a young inexperienced backfield. Furthermore, a healthy Pirate team kicked your butts on that same field the year before with a guy name Carl Lehr running all that place.

You are wrong. Rodney Cummings wore #33 and he played some against Gordonsville that night. He was out most of the season with a leg injury. He still played against Gordonsville. Watch the film. It was about 15 degrees and dog butt cold. We had fires built in barrells trying to stay warm.

Edited by TheAmbassador

You are wrong. Rodney Cummings wore #33 and he played some against Gordonsville that night. He was out most of the season with a leg injury. He still played against Gordonsville. Watch the film. It was about 15 degrees and dog butt cold. We had fires built in barrells trying to stay warm.

I know about the fire barrels, I was around one of them. thumb[1].gif He played some is the operative there because he hadn't played any since the fracture. Patrick Pitts got the majority of the snaps. I also remember the wing back and db on the sideline on a space blanket in the 1st half which didn't help our chances much. I don't have the film goober.

You want have to worry about #7 he aint got it M C shut him down we just made some bad turnovers at crucial time of the game that we haden't been doing, you might say we shot ourselfs in the foot no excuses just facts.

Hey oldraiderfan I sure hope the Gordonsville team over looks #7 and NCS. Your right he's not that good. He only has 609 yards in the last 5 games. This game will be much closer than what others have expressed here. Gordonsville Please Please over looke NCS.

NCS had a problem of turning the ball over earlier this year.. They have started 3 different players at QB and have look really good at times only to fall apart and throw interceptions at the worst times. They can move the ball on offensive but have turned it over to much. With 4 turnovers against Clarksville Academy it made very difficult to win. But still only lost 28 to 16. Alos against Harpeth one of the better 2A schools in the state NCS was tied 14 to 14 with 4 minutes to go in the game. They were driving about to score and then turned it over and some how gave up 21 unanswered points in less than 4 minutes.

They have a very solid Defensive Line that will attack the ball. The Eagles are pulling it together at the right time for the playoffs and look like a totally different team. If NCS protects the ball and limits the turnovers NCS has a very good chance of beating Gordonsville.

Their coach Jeff Brothers should not be discounted he is a winner and will have the Eagles ready to play this Friday. As a quarterback at Brentwood Academy, he helped guide his team to two straight state championships (1987 and ’88), with the ’88 team finishing with a No. 7 ranking by USA Today.

Let the smack talk continue.

Edited by youthsportsPIX