CPA @ Goodpasture

DANR

Well we all knew this matchup was coming. So let's hear it. Is this the year CPA gets over the hump and gets by GP in the playoffs? I will say that GP is firing on all cylinders right now, and CPA will not see the same team they saw in week 0. I'm sure CPA has improved as well.

It seems like cpa and gp have about three coacht posters, so let's all six talk it up this week.

Edited by DANR

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

"Stats alone can be deceptive due to quality of opponent, which defense (1st, 2nd teams) gave up the points, etc.. With that said, CPA's defense has been pretty impressive. Their 1st team defense has only given up 14 points in 3 games and that was to Goodpasture. I would be surprised if anyone else holds GP to 14 until well into the playoffs."

Here is the points per game GP scored after that: 34,45,42,34,24,42,34,42,41,42. As I predicted, only CPA held GP to less than 24 points. This is not the same GP team CPA beat week 1; however, CPA will still be the best defense they have played, especially pass defense which is CPA's strength.

GP has been the playoff nemesis for CPA for the last few years. CPA, at full strength, can beat GP, but they are pretty banged up. I don't think GP can score more than 28 against CPA defense, but CPA matching that could be a challenge.

GP had no answer for Wharton in week zero. Part of that was that they had no film and didn't know how CPA would utilize him on offense. Also the whole coaching staff was new, so GP was going in blind. I don't think CPA will score 35 again. That being said: CPA has been great on D. That alone should make this another great one.

To CPA fans: What is the biggest difference you have seen with this CPA team, who could easily be undefeated right now, vs. Matthew's teams of the recent past?

GP had no answer for Wharton in week zero. Part of that was that they had no film and didn't know how CPA would utilize him on offense. Also the whole coaching staff was new, so GP was going in blind. I don't think CPA will score 35 again. That being said: CPA has been great on D. That alone should make this another great one.

To CPA fans: What is the biggest difference you have seen with this CPA team, who could easily be undefeated right now, vs. Matthew's teams of the recent past?

That is an easy one. Martin is a run first, pass second team. Matthews was pass first, run second.

Matthews has always been, pre-CPA, at CPA, and now at Briarwood (Birm.) a great coach and a great man. Sometimes a change is needed and is part of a bigger plan. Matthews accepts that and is happy where he is. "All things work together for good to those who love God".

Keep in mind, this team is basically the same players Matthews had and he helped develop them since they were 5th graders. Differences: Great senior leadership even though only a few guys; great defensive scheming, great freshman kicker, and biggest difference: best players are now playing both ways, except QB. Matthews always 2-platooned.

Ome more thing: Matthews had to be a pass oriented coach because of a lack of size in the line. This is the first year in many where CPA has had both size and athletes on the OL and DL. And most of them are back next year.

Hopefully this will be a closer game for Goodpasture and they won't get man-handled like the did the first time around. If Goodpasture can get a few stops on defense this time, I think we will see a typical GP/CPA playoff game like they we have seen the last couple of years.

I went to the CPA/Maplewood game when GP was off and CPA has quite the field-goal kicker. This kid sunk one at 51 yards and I believe it would of went for a few more. Hopefully we will see the CPA punter more than we see the kicker :D