CPA @ Goodpasture

DANR

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who made the plays for CPA n the 2nd half? Did Goodpasture kick to Wharton any--did he return any kicks/punts for TDs?

CPA held GP when they had the ball 2nd and goal from the three. Forced a field goal. That was huge. Cranford scored on a 50 yard bomb to end the half. The he caught a pass on 4th and 20 something to set up the first down. They really held wharton in check for the most part. Also, go had offsides and move the field goal up 5 yards.

I agree. I'm not saying GP can't win - they are a very good team, and this should be a great matchup. I am just discussing the game, and based on this year, CPA's defense has done well against some teams as good as GP. Again, I am not going to predict a winner or score, but I will say GP won't score over 28.

Unlike most of these games in the past, the key to CPA winning will be to run the ball, run clock and shorten the game.

GP has a better passing game than PC and Maplewood, but that doesn't make them better offensively. PC and Maplewood's running game is better than GP's. CPA's pass defense is the best GP has seen this year, including the game CPA beat them and held them to 14. GP's passing game has been very good, but they have played teams, for the most part, who couldn't defend the pass, so they have scored a lot on those teams.

Reynolds won't throw at will against CPA like he has against weaker teams. He will complete passes, but I also think if GP can't run, he will take some sacks and throw some int's. Just my analysis - we will see.

Reynolds completes 2 passes in the 1st half - one a wounded duck that should have been intercepted, but the GP receiver caught it after it was touched by 2 CPA defenders. CPA got their int., as I predicted, to stop one GP drive. Reynolds 6/13 for 97 yards.

GP didn't score over 28, even though CPA lost tons of yards on penalties after good gains (100 penalty yards total), and had 2 critical fumbles.

CPA's defense held GP to a FG after GP had 1st down on the 5 with less than 2 minutes left. Even though Wharton didn't return the next KO, the fact he was on the field and they didn't want to kick to him caused 2 kicks to go out of bounds, then gave CPA starting field position on the 43 with 1:06 to play and no timeouts. They gutted it out from there,with a great long jump ball pass (one of many)to Cranford, then an amazing clutch kick into the wind with 4 seconds left by FRESHMAN kicker, Osborne, after being iced once by GP timeout and once by the officials. GREAT GAME by 2 good teams. Shame one had to lose, but great to see CPA finally get by GP in the playoffs.

Edited by CPA4Ever

CPA held GP when they had the ball 2nd and goal from the three. Forced a field goal. That was huge. Cranford scored on a 50 yard bomb to end the half. The he caught a pass on 4th and 20 something to set up the first down. They really held wharton in check for the most part. Also, go had offsides and move the field goal up 5 yards.

Don't know if Wharton could be said to be held in check when he got 98 yards rushing and over 6 yards per carry. Also, GP kicked the ball out of bounds twice after taking the lead at the end to keep him from getting the ball, and ended up giving CPA field position at the 43 YL.

And CPA had a 5 yard penalty right before the GP offsides prior to the last FG. Amazing 38 yard FG on the last play by a freshman into the wind after being "iced" twice.

basically CPA threw 3 hail mary passes and came down with all three

Make that 2 Hail Marys caught and one dropped in the end zone. The long TD pass before halftime was not really a Hail Mary. It was just a great long pass where Cranford got behind the defender - was thrown almost 60 yards in the air on a rope.

BTW, Reynolds had 97 yards passing, and 30 of those came on a Hail Mary that should have been intercepted.

I must say though Reynolds is a great athlete and QB, and I have enjoyed watching him play for 4 years. He just had to play a great CPA defense twice this year that bends but rarely breaks.

GP had no answer for Wharton in week zero. Part of that was that they had no film and didn't know how CPA would utilize him on offense. Also the whole coaching staff was new, so GP was going in blind. I don't think CPA will score 35 again. That being said: CPA has been great on D. That alone should make this another great one.

To CPA fans: What is the biggest difference you have seen with this CPA team, who could easily be undefeated right now, vs. Matthew's teams of the recent past?