Best Teams to NOT Win a State Title

CU06

If you throw out the 98 Elizabethton team the the 1998 Greeneville team has to be on the list. They Beat that Elizabthton team 28-6 in the regular season and where a perfect 10-0. Elizabethton beat them in the play-offs because of some Stupid Decisions (Long Story) made by half the starters before that game.

I thought Greeneville should have won it in 2009 and was playing well enough at the end to beat most teams when they lost the semi to Maryville in 2000.Tennessee High was another team in 2009 that I thought was good enough to win it in 5A.I thought Whitehaven had some of the best looking athletes I've seen in a long time this year,but you can't make mistakes against Maryville and win many of those games.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice topic...

Whitehaven over the YEARS...

2000-'01 (My JR. year we lost on the game-winning drive in the Quarterfinals to Cordova. First we had a bone head false start that took us from the 2 to the 7 yard line. We Recovered and then our top WR dropped a semi-open TD pass in the Endzone on 4th Down)

2010-'11 (Last season we gave up 10 points to Smyrna. Pretty Good right!?!? Problem was we only SCORED 7 SMH. That Senior class had been a part of nothing but 10+ win seasons at Da Haven. They have premently Changed the Culture! The C/O '13, well, You regulars KNOW how I feel about My boys at Whitehaven in the C/O '13. They are upcoming Seniors this season!!! O_o 8-) )

2011-'12 (The Offense DIDN'T SCORE at all in the State Finals, but the DEFENSE DID?!?!?!? This was the BEST WHITEHAVEN DEFENSE I EVER LAID EYES ON! They were not the most talented but they played so well all year long. They Gave up ONE real Drive to the Red Rebels in the State Final and ultimately 2 Fluke punts are what did us in. The OC really did the same thing this year that he did last year for Whitehaven... Didn't Hold up his end. It is what it is)

Now let me step off my Whitehaven High Horse and Say that Melrose between '03-'07 should of gotten at least one! Especially the year they lost 7-6 to Maryville in the State Title Game. I watched Melrose outplay a team for three-fourths of the game yet never could get the lead to change the whole feeling of the game. No kicking game kills us in the Memphis City Schools!

Refs didn't help Melrose's or our Cause either btw.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

'92 Clinton High team lost in the state finals to Gallatin. Coached by Jimmy Gaylor and led by one of the best running backs I've seen, Scotty Whitt. Beat Larry Kerr Halls team twice in the final game of the season and again in the semi-finals. and defeated Riverdale in the quarterfinals. I would say this was Gaylor's best Clinton team.

Edited by ldcoach

'92 Clinton High team lost in the state finals to Gallatin. Coached by Jimmy Gaylor and led by one of the best running backs I've seen, Scotty Whitt. Beat Larry Kerr Halls team twice in the final game of the season and again in the semi-finals. and defeated Riverdale in the quarterfinals. I would say this was Gaylor's best Clinton team.

Funny how I was thinking about this same era when I first read this post/thread. However, in 1992, the AAA State Championship game was played the week before the "Clinic Bowl" on an extremely cold November night at Patriot Stadium in Paris, TN. Calvin Short's Gallatin Green Wave traveled to Paris to take on Jame Counce's Henry County Patriots. This was as epic of a game as I had ever seen and still probably among the top 5 of all time that I have watched personally. When it came down to the final seconds, a botched snap resulting in a safety was the difference in this game resulting in a 16-13 victory for Gallatin. (HC failed at a two-point conversion attempt to narrow the margin after the safety) The next week, Gallatin faced Clinton who had been mentioned all season long in USA Today's Top 25 teams in the country.....Gallatin won that game 31-0. (totally dominating)

Just describing this game from nearly 20 years ago....I can still taste the sourness from that night as dreams were shattered once again by the Gallatin Green Wave...making each Henry County/Gallatin game from then on..."not just another game"! This past season, Henry County awaited the score following a hard fought win over Memphis Ridgeway to see if it would again be Gallatin returning to Patriot Stadium to attempt to end the Patriots' season....it was not...Hendersonville beat the Green Wave in the 3rd round...ensuring Henry County that it would not be G'town ending the Patriots season....(HC beat the Commandos that next week in the semis).

All Brentwood Academy teams under Raplh Potter... definition of underperforming/bad coaching/choke jobs in playoffs.

Also, Brentwood High '09 lost in semis to White Station on tipped pass in endzone that guy caught on his knees with 20 seconds left, WS routed Maryville in championship next week

Funny how I was thinking about this same era when I first read this post/thread. However, in 1992, the AAA State Championship game was played the week before the "Clinic Bowl" on an extremely cold November night at Patriot Stadium in Paris, TN. Calvin Short's Gallatin Green Wave traveled to Paris to take on Jame Counce's Henry County Patriots. This was as epic of a game as I had ever seen and still probably among the top 5 of all time that I have watched personally. When it came down to the final seconds, a botched snap resulting in a safety was the difference in this game resulting in a 16-13 victory for Gallatin. (HC failed at a two-point conversion attempt to narrow the margin after the safety) The next week, Gallatin faced Clinton who had been mentioned all season long in USA Today's Top 25 teams in the country.....Gallatin won that game 31-0. (totally dominating)

Just describing this game from nearly 20 years ago....I can still taste the sourness from that night as dreams were shattered once again by the Gallatin Green Wave...making each Henry County/Gallatin game from then on..."not just another game"! This past season, Henry County awaited the score following a hard fought win over Memphis Ridgeway to see if it would again be Gallatin returning to Patriot Stadium to attempt to end the Patriots' season....it was not...Hendersonville beat the Green Wave in the 3rd round...ensuring Henry County that it would not be G'town ending the Patriots season....(HC beat the Commandos that next week in the semis).

You are incorrect on the Clinton Gallatin score. Gallatin only beat Clinton 21-13 in the state title game. 31-0 was the shellacking Oak Ridge gave Gallatin the year before in 1991.

Nice topic...

Now let me step off my Whitehaven High Horse and Say that Melrose between '03-'07 should of gotten at least one! Especially the year they lost 7-6 to Maryville in the State Title Game. I watched Melrose outplay a team for three-fourths of the game yet never could get the lead to change the whole feeling of the game.

Uhhh BHS.....Eye guess Melrows did haiv 6 moore passin' yards than Mairvul...Butt eye don't thank thay out played ennybody that day.... :popcorneater:

http://www.tssaa.org/2004Champions/StateFootball/Class4A/Stats.htm

This topic was started so I could get one more shot at the the Lexington fans. Now to be serious, I thought Knoxville Central had a couple of gold ball worthy teams in 2004 and 2005.

They did in 1991 too Plumb..The Oak Ridge Central game won by OR 42-41 by blocking an xtra point was the championship game in my book. Oak Ridge murdered Gallatin 31-0 the following week for the title. Central 91 team was crazy good, also had a great team in 1990, but lost to a Kelly Holcombe led Lincoln County team at Neyland Stadium for the gold ball.