Reclassification

fblover

So we are going back to 5 classes?

How about we cut it to 4 across the board?

4 across the board sounds good. Not sure why football now has six and baseball & basketball has 3. Seems like they would have more.... because more schools field baseball & basketball. Must be a money issue. Would make it alot easier for me to keep up with... if it were the same.

you wont see the 4 class because all the sports beside football loses money

It almost seems they are making intentionally unappealing projections in hopes of a negative reaction, where they can come back and say there was not enough pull for any significant change and things remain the same. Four classes could work but would have to have some creativity. One of the articles mentioned how the regions/districts wouldn't work out with four classes and that's partially correct. With 16 districts, each would average about 4.5 teams and some might have just a couple in an entire area. With eight regions, each would average nine teams and give very little room for traditional non-region rivalries/money games. Go four classes, divide into 12 regions/districts, average six teams in each. True 12 can't evenly go into two teams in a final, so add one week of playoffs with some getting first round byes. Cut out Week Zero and things would end on the same Saturday in December. You may have to go back to quads but that would probably help with the travel, if so design them where non-region and overall record wasn't a factor.

Edited by Indian

The majority of the high school coaches want to go back to the old system with 5 classifications and I think the Board will vote along those lines. I would be ok with the six classifications if they don't have the three classes for the regular season. It creates too much disparity within the districts between the size of schools.

I'd like to have the same teams competing in the playoffs as in the regular season, also (1A up to 6A). The trouble has clearly been the unevenness of some teams playing larger schools in the various districts, with playoffs on the line, as well as the overall record affecting placement. If you go six regular season classes to match the six playoff classes, the regions will be even more spread out than they were a few years ago. Around the major cities things might break down evenly but in rural areas a team might be 2-3 hours from its nearest region opponent. Four would be best, in most sports.

With all private schools in Division II, four or five would work out better. I haven't seen anything reported indicating a total split has been discussed in the meetings this week, there was an earlier article with a brief section on the idea's popularity in the Chattanooga area.

Edited by Indian

The majority of the high school coaches want to go back to the old system with 5 classifications and I think the Board will vote along those lines. I would be ok with the six classifications if they don't have the three classes for the regular season. It creates too much disparity within the districts between the size of schools.

"Majority?" I talked to 4 high school coaches today in 3 different classifications and NONE of them mentioned wanting to change ANYTHING regarding classification or the postseason! Who are these "majority" coaches who want change?? Please mention schools or names....I've yet to visit with one!

p.s. What about basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and soccer is broken? Why have any discussions about anything other than football regarding this matter?

Edited by QBClubPrez

"Majority?" I talked to 4 high school coaches today in 3 different classifications and NONE of them mentioned wanting to change ANYTHING regarding classification or the postseason! Who are these "majority" coaches who want change?? Please mention schools or names....I've yet to visit with one!

p.s. What about basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and soccer is broken? Why have any discussions about anything other than football regarding this matter?

According to the TSSAA article, 60 percent of coaches want to return to the 5 class system. Of the few names I saw listed, most, if not all of them were from Rutherford County. James Counce (Henry County) and Anthony Crabtree (Beech) are only two examples of some coaches who would rather keep things as are.

I originally didn't mind returning to 5 classes, in hopes that they would make some changes to that playoff format, but they aren't. They're wanting to return to the top 4 vs. top 4 playoff format which I always hated. I would rather keep the current system.

I was told Oak Ridge's enrollment has dropped by around 300. Is there a school that has opened?

No, but the population of the city of Oak Ridge has gotten older and has dwindled. High city taxes in Oak Ridge have driven a lot of the now adult children of folks who moved in to work at the DOE plants out in to the county and in to other nearby counties. Their kids aren't going to school at Oak Ridge, and that has been a big part of why the student numbers have dropped, as I understand it. That seems to be the reason they will likely drop to 4A under the new classification, if it is passed.

On Powell's number, I don't believe that when all is said and done they will be 5A school. I suspect that the number used was from a couple of years ago when the school did have similar number to what are now 6A schools. That number was inflated because Knox County re-drew the zones, and gave those students who were in the part of the Powell zone that was zoned to other schools an opportunity to finish at Powell rather than go to Karns if they chose to. Now that the grandfathering has been phased out and only the students actually zoned for Powell are now at Powell, the number has dropped back to where it should be. I was told that last fall the enrollment was at about 1,325, which should be on the upper end of 4A, rather than push them to 5A, when all is said and done.

According to the TSSAA article, 60 percent of coaches want to return to the 5 class system. Of the few names I saw listed, most, if not all of them were from Rutherford County. James Counce (Henry County) and Anthony Crabtree (Beech) are only two examples of some coaches who would rather keep things as are.

I originally didn't mind returning to 5 classes, in hopes that they would make some changes to that playoff format, but they aren't. They're wanting to return to the top 4 vs. top 4 playoff format which I always hated. I would rather keep the current system.

I saw a quote from your coach, Prez, and frankly was surprised at what he said. I don't know about the western end of the state, but I have talked to probably a dozen head coaches in the last few weeks - some on the air, and some off the air - and none of them are in favor of keeping things as they are now. They have all pretty much been in unison that we need to go back to 5 classifications, and the playoff system needs to revert back to something similar to what it was prior to the last change. The consensus is that there is just too much uncertainty and way too many variables that aren't settled on the field between the teams vying or playoff spots. It's become way too BCS like subjective.

Most of the coaches I have talked with are also in favor of going back to a true public/private split come playoff time. I suspect that may be on the agenda before long.

Most of the fussing about basketball, baseball and softball involves private schools playing in Division I with a lot of titles being claimed by private schools. They moved volleyball to three classes not long ago and I don't know if four classes are needed. Soccer, I don't think there are enough for another class in Division I.