Marshall County Mess

Croach

Assuming that the information being reported on this board is correct, the Marshall County School Board may have legal action taken against them that will cost more than if they paid the coaches. If the principal said that he was going to pay the coaches X then that is a verbal contract by an authority figure and must be honored. Why were the coaches dismissed and not the principal when the principal is the person that made an agreement that he could not deliver?

Assuming that the information being reported on this board is correct, the Marshall County School Board may have legal action taken against them that will cost more than if they paid the coaches. If the principal said that he was going to pay the coaches X then that is a verbal contract by an authority figure and must be honored. Why were the coaches dismissed and not the principal when the principal is the person that made an agreement that he could not deliver?

In the state of TN, public school principals can't officially offer employment or make contractual agreements. Only the legal CEO of the public school system can make such arrangements and it must be in writing and included in the budget and/or contract. Any additional monies that do not go through the system are a violation of BOE policies in most systems and the TSSAA regulations prohibit coaches from receiving money not directly approved by the BOE. I heard from a Williamson County sports reporter that the story boils down to did the coaches in question complete work during the school year they were paid to do outside of the scope of their coaching duties. I would only be speculating as to what type of work that might be but he seemed confident enough to be running with the story. Who knows what is really going on, maybe the board is using the superintendent to clean house? The bottom line is any non-tenured teacher can be dismissed without cause and any tenured teacher can be dismissed with cause. The new school year has not begun; therefore, any promises made by the principal or outgoing Superintendent don't mean anything. The new teacher contracts are always contingent on the new budget being approved and that's where the school board is at this time.

Edited by OldStoneFort

The word out of Lewisburg is that the head coaching search is not going to begin until the second week of July and they hope to have someone in place before the start of football camp the last week of July. I can't say why it is taking so long but my guess is they are required to post the position for 5 to 10 days before they can interview. I can't imagine them firing the previous coach without having someone in mind for the job. If they didn't, this could become a three ring circus. Most coaches will have completed three weeks of non-padded practice and 7 on 7's before the Tigers name a coach. What kind of coach will they find this close to the start of the season? Maybe a retired coach or someone willing to jump ship and take the job without time to build a quality staff. As Charlie Brown says: "Good Grief!"

Edited by OldStoneFort
  • Upvote 1

Coach T did an interview that can be seen on IHIGH.COM. Skip ahead to about the 8 minute mark.He tells his side of the story. Nobody knows what is going on here. I think we may be down to one assistant coach. The kids have no idea what they are supposed to do. We learned that the 7 on 7 tourney was cancelled from refs that were supposed to work it. These kids worked their tails off for Coach T and now they have no one to turn to. The community is furious with this move. It seems the people in charge have either hid, or put their heads in the sand. Not a peep from the higher ups. In fact, about 30 players went to the B.O.E. to ask why their coach was gone and the director of schools handed them a piece of paper and told them to "talk to my lawyer"....the kids called and got a "NO COMMENT." and a click on the other end. The kids should come first, the kids in this situation have gotten the shaft.If you don't believe me, ask any one of them that came to practice everyday and gave a 110%.

TSNSports has learned that three Marshall County Tigers football coaches, including the head coach have been dismissed by the county's school director.

Reports to TSN say it boles down to salary increases allegedly promised for assistant coaches by principal Roy Dukes worked out with the head coach Tom Turchetta.

According to reports when coach Turchetta arrived at MCHS two years ago he was given additional money for his assistant coaches by Dukes without the approval from the school system. 

The reports to TSN indicated Dukes apparently allowed the increases without consulting with the school system and when the figures were later questioned, school director Jackie Abernathy released the coaches.

The action was at NO fault of the coach.

We have also learned that coach Turchetta reportedly will fight the director's decision.

This has hit the team hard. One report is it is like a death in the family. 

Marshall County Tiger players have called a meeting today to discuss the matter and to rally around their coaches.

Around 1/2 of the Tigers football team took their concerns to the Marshall County Board of Education Friday morning. Members told WAXO radio's Bob Smartt that they were told, by the director of schools, to contact the systems legal team. When they made the call the representative gave "no comment".

WAXO radio also made an attempt to obtain a press release and were told there will NOT be one forthcoming.

This couldn't have come at the worse time with football season just a few months away.

TSN has been unable to reach head coach Tom Turchetta, but we'll have more on this story.

Correction to TSNSports story: Mr Dukes was actually the MC School Director at the time the deal was done.

Former Tiger Head Coach Tom Turchetta met with the media Monday morning (6/25) to address the issues involving the dismissal of  Turchetta and two coaches, plus the transfer of several others.

The action by the Marshall County Director of Schools Jackie Abernathy has the residents talking. People are asking, why? But no one is getting answers.

You may view the press conference by clicking here.

TSN also extends an invitation to the director to make a comment concerning this issue. We feel the Marshall County taxpayers deserve an answer! TSN did notice that the director is moving on. The school system has already posted the teacher/head football coach opening on their website and will take applications through July 3rd.

Edited by TSNSports

Coach T did an interview that can be seen on IHIGH.COM. Skip ahead to about the 8 minute mark.He tells his side of the story. Nobody knows what is going on here. I think we may be down to one assistant coach. The kids have no idea what they are supposed to do. We learned that the 7 on 7 tourney was cancelled from refs that were supposed to work it. These kids worked their tails off for Coach T and now they have no one to turn to. The community is furious with this move. It seems the people in charge have either hid, or put their heads in the sand. Not a peep from the higher ups. In fact, about 30 players went to the B.O.E. to ask why their coach was gone and the director of schools handed them a piece of paper and told them to "talk to my lawyer"....the kids called and got a "NO COMMENT." and a click on the other end. The kids should come first, the kids in this situation have gotten the shaft.If you don't believe me, ask any one of them that came to practice everyday and gave a 110%.

TSNSports did air coach Turchetta's press conference on (6/25) at WAXO RADIO in Lewisburg.

Finally the people of Marshall County see Marshall County as the rest of us have for years.....Could it be an epiphany! I think so!