Maryville vs. Alcoa (Official ESPN2 Game Thread)

Red Rebels

Call me crazy, but I think that this year's Alcoa team has something to prove and has the horses necessary to back that up. I would put them in the conversation of "best teams" that Rankin has had, even up against the 2009 and 2010 teams. Either way, they're a solid bet to win the state championship, which is all that matters in the end.

Edited by AllRegion

Will be interesting to see how much Alcoa was sandbagging against Webb. I expect Alcoa to throw it a little more with Sweetland as OC, but I don't think they are going to beat Maryville throwing the football. Can Maryville stop Alcoa's big power run game? I don't think they can completely shut it down, but I do think they will be able to get a few stops, and that is all GQ's offense will need. I knew I would be impressed with Prevo Saturday, but I was just as impressed with Shuler. I think the two teams are pretty close, but as usual, the coaching edge will go to GQ and staff. I like Maryville by two TD's.

espn2.jpg

THATS AWESOME BABY!!

As far as 1 of Rankins best teams ever, only time will tell, that 2004 Riverdale team has been his best so far.

From Saturday: Mhs look really good except for the 4 TOs and giving up so many yards.When Ahs scrimmaged cleveland this preseason they had 4 first downs and a busted 80yard td, Webb controled the clock against AHS, and the tornadoes only had the ball 3 times in the first half(the goal line stop, the td drive and the last drive with 1:20 left to go 88 yards,Missed FG),and 3 times in the second....make of it what u want, but i can promise u that this game sunday will be just like the last 2 AHS-MHS games.

GQ is not only the best coach in the state but he's also one of the best business men. Maryville will make sure it stays fairly close (cause 21+ pt blow out on National TV doesnt help you) but will still play typical Maryville football, keep a comfortable lead of 10-14 pts and quiet some of the "haters" it gets from people throughout the state/nation that says "they dont play anyone."

You think the television audience and the "haters" will be a factor in GQ's gameplan?