2012 pre-season discussion, Transfers, Coaching changes and Rumors

chattanoogachoker

Coaching?? Really??... Great facilities and coaches are obvious advantage in any athletic activity.. However, anyone who has ever coached will tell you that the greatest gift he can receive is a room-full of Tough Competitors. They set the tone for the room, lead with a great example, provide great competition for other studs, maintain a high level of intensity (or be crushed ), and show the next generation of studs (JV) what being a Champion looks like everyday. There is NO substitute for the intensity and technique that is at a high level in that practice room every day. THIS is the advantage of these schools. The ability to take the quality wrestlers that you already have, then sprinkle in a handful (or two) of transfer studs, and voila,...Tough practice room,..everyday!

Several years ago, I remember Baylor's X-country team.. Already tough as heck from the year before, they "picked up" the Individual State Champion from Alabama, and a National Triathlon Jr. Champion for another Country! Great facilities and Coaching? Yes... But the ability to engineer a higher level of practice partners from across the State, Country .. and World? PRICELESS!

Great examples! The realities that made other states push the boarding schools out of their high school associations. We have a STATE tournament not a national tournament.

Cupcake has a good story above, but unfortunately the reasons provided are not the most common cause of high school transfers. I also attended multiple high schools, public and private, but that's just one person's experiences and opinion. Many times a young man develops more character by sticking it out and finishing where they started, versus going to the highest bidder after experiencing a little success. Due to the money involved you see alot of this in high school basketball, some in football, and based on my experience as many young man are ruined as helped by transfering from their original high school where they were experiencing success. Per the parents, the athlete was not playing the right position, getting the ball handed to them enough, getting enough national exposure, we have all seen this. You could make a long list of these situations and often the athletes did not even want to make the change and ultimately suffers.

Sommers appears to be trying to distract from the topic by claiming someone wants 5 divisions. No, two are more than sufficient, one would be better, just get rid of the boarders that are doing their own thing like getting athletes from other countries...lol. Calling for rules that are equal for all. No special rules for certain schools--that's the American way!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, enough of the boarding school topic. That wasnt even one of the things I asked about in the original post. Lets discuss the coaching changes at powerhouses Cleveland and Soddy . How will this affect those programs in the short and long terms? Who will be THE team this year?

Both programs have been and still are in good hands. A few things may have changed on paper,,,but very little if anything will change in the wrestling room and on the mat when it counts. Either team could have the edge depending on what kids weigh when the time comes/ how everyone matches up. It should be a very exciting year in D1.

CC,,,sends...

If you are not going to keep a team score what is the problem? Do you feel that the boarding schools have better coaching? Do you not want your team to wrestle the best competition possible? I have never been associated with a boarding school in any way but by refusing to compete against them you may a well tell your wrestlers that the boarding school kids are superior in talent and I for one refuse to go down that road.

No, I suggest wrestling against the boarding schools during the season. Some of the best competition you'll find for your wrestlers in TN. Also wrestle against Collins Hill, Pope and others in Georgia. When it comes to the state tournament, a wrestler from TN should not compete against an imported guy whose parents still live in California or New Jersey.

A better question is why would the local Chatt boarding schools want to wrestle primarily against local competition or at the TN state tournament? Are either of our Chattanooga boarding schools ranked in the Top 50 nationally? Its not impossible, a school from the West side of the state did it this past year. That's embarrassing. We really need a shake up in the Chatt wrestling community and changing the rules, making our boarding schools act like national prep schools would help. Hopefully, the State will push these schools to conform to the rules, no special exceptions, they'll leave, step up their game and Chattanooga will get two national level wrestling programs. Selfishly, I will get to watch better competition without driving more than 30 minutes and will enjoy every second!

No, I suggest wrestling against the boarding schools during the season. Some of the best competition you'll find for your wrestlers in TN. Also wrestle against Collins Hill, Pope and others in Georgia. When it comes to the state tournament, a wrestler from TN should not compete against an imported guy whose parents still live in California or New Jersey.

A better question is why would the local Chatt boarding schools want to wrestle primarily against local competition or at the TN state tournament? Are either of our Chattanooga boarding schools ranked in the Top 50 nationally? Its not impossible, a school from the West side of the state did it this past year. That's embarrassing. We really need a shake up in the Chatt wrestling community and changing the rules, making our boarding schools act like national prep schools would help. Hopefully, the State will push these schools to conform to the rules, no special exceptions, they'll leave, step up their game and Chattanooga will get two national level wrestling programs. Selfishly, I will get to watch better competition without driving more than 30 minutes and will enjoy every second!

There you go again with idiotic comments. Does Baylor have any kids from other countries wrestling? Do they have any from New Jersey or California? Why arent you all over Cleveland for picking up a state champion from georgia this year? Isnt that unfair to you? Or how about all the kids that Soddy has picked up over the years? What about the one from Illinois Cbhs picked up? Im beginning to see a pattern here with you.

I bet you're for five divisions, aren't you?!?

Yes, he wants 5 divisions. One for the large public, one for small public, one for private, one for boarding and one class just for his team only, so they can win. Mocs2011 I think you have officially become non relevant on this board. You have to be at least a little bit tough to claim to be a wrestling fan and so far you arent passing the test.

Both programs have been and still are in good hands. A few things may have changed on paper,,,but very little if anything will change in the wrestling room and on the mat when it counts. Either team could have the edge depending on what kids weigh when the time comes/ how everyone matches up. It should be a very exciting year in D1.

CC,,,sends...

Should be a barn burner this year but Ive heard all of Soddys kids are about the same weight. Cleveland seems to be more spread out. Also Cleveland has a TRANSFER.. oh my gosh!!! lol. The new kid is supposed to be a stud. I think a lot will change with Soddys feeder and middle school. This may be their last chance for a while then it will be all Cleveland.

Mocs2011 why do you hate "the boarding school" so much, jealously is an ugly thing. I think everyone will agree with this statement, STOP YOUR CRYING AND COMPLAINING just beat them on the mat. Wait you can't that's why you fight your battles on here.

Hate? No, actually respect the "boarders" quite a bit for their academics, facilities, alumni and other things, but in wrestling I want them to be better than they are. Go be a top level prep school. The current rules giving them a leg up on other TN schools has just built a system that rewards our "boarders" for mediocrity (compared to similar national prep schools). Jealous, yes, of wrestling fans in New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvannia and other places where they get to watch some of the top programs in the country. I have to drive to Collins Hill High School or hope that someone comes in for the Cleveland duals to find a top 50 program to watch.

Let's change the topic a little and I think this gets to the same place. Who thinks the level of wrestling in Chattanooga has gotten better over the last 10-15 years? Other places in the state? Are our wrestlers and teams doing better or worse on the national level? If the answer is "no" we are worse off, which I believe is correct, then it is time for a change. Seems I have heard that slogan recently related to 4-years and politics? The old "let just buckle down and work harder" in the current system doesn't seem to be cutting it. Our TN high school state tournaments need to be tougher and there needs to be some TN national prep teams being successful on the national level. What productive changes do others propose?

Edited by mocs2011

Hate? No, actually respect the "boarders" quite a bit for their academics, facilities, alumni and other things, but in wrestling I want them to be better than they are. Go be a top level prep school. The current rules giving them a leg up on other TN schools has just built a system that rewards our "boarders" for mediocrity (compared to similar national prep schools). Jealous, yes, of wrestling fans in New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvannia and other places where they get to watch some of the top programs in the country. I have to drive to Collins Hill High School or hope that someone comes in for the Cleveland duals to find a top 50 program to watch.

Let's change the topic a little and I think this gets to the same place. Who thinks the level of wrestling in Chattanooga has gotten better over the last 10-15 years? Other places in the state? Are our wrestlers and teams doing better or worse on the national level? If the answer is "no" we are worse off, which I believe is correct, then it is time for a change. Seems I have heard that slogan recently related to 4-years and politics? The old "let just buckle down and work harder" in the current system doesn't seem to be cutting it. Our TN high school state tournaments need to be tougher and there needs to be some TN national prep teams being successful on the national level. What productive changes do others propose?

What makes you think that we're worse off? we recently had a Super 32 placer, multiple NHSCA placers, A top 30 program that was beaten in the traditional state, almost ten seniors wrestling in college and several top 20 ranked wrestlers, a top ten junior duals team, D1s best wrestled D2s best in dual matches for the first time in a while, and all three regions of the state won a state team title for the first time in state history. The only problem that I see is that the competition is evening out, and chattaboogie isnt the clear cut best region anymore.Last year was a pretty solid year and I don't by any means think that the competetion in Tennessee has gotten any worse. Also, Baylor didn't even win state last year, yes they had some transfers but no they didn't recruit. They need to stay in the state to promote better competition among the D2 teams.

What makes you think that we're worse off? we recently had a Super 32 placer, multiple NHSCA placers, A top 30 program that was beaten in the traditional state, almost ten seniors wrestling in college and several top 20 ranked wrestlers, a top ten junior duals team, D1s best wrestled D2s best in dual matches for the first time in a while, and all three regions of the state won a state team title for the first time in state history. The only problem that I see is that the competition is evening out, and chattaboogie isnt the clear cut best region anymore.Last year was a pretty solid year and I don't by any means think that the competetion in Tennessee has gotten any worse. Also, Baylor didn't even win state last year, yes they had some transfers but no they didn't recruit. They need to stay in the state to promote better competition among the D2 teams.

I have to agree. Additionally if you look at the talent coming up through the AAU Youth it is very impressive. Last year's State Tournament was outstanding and Team TN had the most success in it's history at the AAU Elementary Duals.

I have to agree. Additionally if you look at the talent coming up through the AAU Youth it is very impressive. Last year's State Tournament was outstanding and Team TN had the most success in it's history at the AAU Elementary Duals.

The period 2000-2007 had Leen, Marable, Simpson, Keller and Cleveland all TN high school guys that placed D1 in the NCAA's. Also Raymond Dunning had a very strong NCAA Division 2 career. There were also other guys that wrestled NCAA D1 from this same period, such as Whitt Dunning, Manson, and Manley with a couple of these guys being NCAA D1 qualifiers. You could also throw in McCroskey, Johnson, Wright and other NCAA qualifiers towards the tail end of that period. This group was also very accomplished on the high school level, Fargo champion, Sr. National champ, Sr. Nationals finalist. Add Kyle James, another Fargo placer. Probably forgetting a few. There were some great TN wrestlers to watch during this period.

After 2007, just don't see the same number of TN high school wrestlers graduating with those credentials or potential. Croy may get there, Watson, Baker, Hooker and a few others? The State has not been turning out as many wrestlers that are having success at the next level or seem to have that potential. It could just be a slump, but it seems headed in the wrong direction. I agree that the TN AAU youth org is getting stronger and its the right place to start, but suggest other changes at the high school level as well.

Edited by mocs2011