2012 pre-season discussion, Transfers, Coaching changes and Rumors

chattanoogachoker

Really? This has nothing to do with ownership. It has everything to do with a level playing field. If it is truly mono e mono, why have weight classes? Let the "best" man win.

Your lack of insight into high school athletics is amazing. The only trophy cases it is about are the ones that are recruiting. Your argument is backwards. The recruited kids aren't there because of good looks. Your "Ownership" argument is a cop out to allow the bourgeois to play by different rules than everyone else. Why should a larger bank account allow one group to have an unfair advantage? I don't care if they recruit or not but don't act like it doesn't happen or that it is not a HUGE advantage.

So how does their larger bank account play into anything? Didnt they state almost all the kids listed are paying full tuition?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I might jump in here and give my thoughts... Ultimately it's the kids and their parent's decision to send them to school wherever that may be. I am as blue as it gets, but i will say I don't think Ben Nelson is out recruiting any of these kids to come to Baylor. If any "recruiting" is being done, it is by wrestlers, wrestlers parents, and/or alumni. Is that ok? sure why not. With that being said, there is NO DOUBT in my mind Tate Robinson should have to sit out a year. I don't care if the kid moved, when you get kicked out of a school and transfer to another school in the same division (d2) you should have to sit out a year, no questions asked. Moving cities should have no affect if the schools are competing for the same championship title.

Examples) Houston "I'll always bleed trublu" Clements left for the darkside ... kid sat out a year. That's how it should be, and it is no different for Robinson. CBHS and Baylor are in the same DIVISION FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Example2) Blaike Henry left McCallie for Soddy Daisy, TJ Satterfields left McCallie for Blount County, both were immediately eligible because they were transferring to a school in a different division.

Should Baylor have to compete in a prep only league? Not at all. From a McCallie standpoint, I would never want to see that as it would take away from the excitement every winter. I doubt father ryan, or any of the d2 schools would really want that either.Really though, what does ryan have to be mad about anyways, they whip those red ba$tar**'s every year anyways.

Just an old farts thoughts! hope i havent put you all to sleep.

GO BLU!

There is no rule what so ever about transfering from division to division to my knowledge. I think Mr. Clements had to sit out because he didnt move. I think Mr. Satterfield was eligible because he did move. Im not sure about Blake Henry. Tate Robinson moved so there for should be eligible. Its no diferent than all the public school kids that move accross town to play football at another school whithin their own division. There are multiple kids that do that every year in Chattanooga. Why would a kid that moves from Hixson to Cleveland be able to play football but Tate Robinson who moved across the whole state cant? By the way the Hixson to Cleveland was just an example. I probably should have said Red Bank to Signal to me more accurate with current events. lol

Clements took some time off to heal from a football injury if I remember right. TJ Duncan remained in North Ga and transferred over to the Blue after some mat time with the Red, so the rules of transferring for .D2 appears a bit more flexible, e.g., If I had my son transfer up (not that we are, Bray & Mr. Mark Reeves :) ) to join my brother's new team, we'd have to give up custody legally and move him away some 60 miles... Great to see that, yet crazy thought too?!?! He needs to be focused here with his faminy. But, this situation may not apply to all. Probably like-what Swanson had to do to come down and help add more hardware to Mr. Henry's grand finale. Great families can also contribute to these special situations of our young men. And that can also be a noble thing too :)

There is no rule what so ever about transfering from division to division to my knowledge. I think Mr. Clements had to sit out because he didnt move. I think Mr. Satterfield was eligible because he did move. Im not sure about Blake Henry. Tate Robinson moved so there for should be eligible. Its no diferent than all the public school kids that move accross town to play football at another school whithin their own division. There are multiple kids that do that every year in Chattanooga. Why would a kid that moves from Hixson to Cleveland be able to play football but Tate Robinson who moved across the whole state cant? By the way the Hixson to Cleveland was just an example. I probably should have said Red Bank to Signal to me more accurate with current events. lol

I think Trublu2 addressed that above, there is a separate rule if you leave a TSSAA school for disciplinary or athletic reasons within the past 12 months that will be applied to Tate Robinson. Its the school that you leave which has to provide something to the TSSAA saying that you did not leave for those reasons. If you live with your parents in Tullahoma or Birmingham and then go to a boarding school, your parents have not moved, they are still your legal guardians and that is still your home. So you should wait a year, just like any other wrestler that transferred from Hixson to Cleveland without his parents moving. Fair and balanced :)

So how does their larger bank account play into anything? Didnt they state almost all the kids listed are paying full tuition?

Ha..ha...is that before or after that check gets deposited monthly in their parent's bank account? Just having fun. I know one of the parents very well who's son was from a different part of TN, won a state title, and went to one of the boarding schools here in Chatt, won't say which one to protect the innocent. They paid a small portion of the bill.

Moving on a little, there were some big changes this off-season in some of the top TN high school programs, should be very interesting to see the impact on these programs. Probably more movement than in many prior years.

Cleveland new head coach

Soddy new head coach

Clarksville new head coach

McCallie added Cody Cleveland, correct?

MBA added another Simpson?

Way to much emphasis is put on the part about Education. A kid can get as good an education at a public school vs a private school. It all depends on how much the kid wants to work in the classroom and beyond not just at athletics.

Now I understand not all public schools have the same facilities and opportunities that private have, but you get back only how much you put into something.

So to be truthful, it is about Athletics and Reputation for the most part. People have a different oppinoin about private schools and think everyone who graduates from them are above public school systems.

I know sum schools have produced stats that are equal to and above some of the private schools. In reality it is all about the kid/athlete, home/family and supporters/teachers--community.

So saying all kids go to private to enhance education is blowing smoke.

Edited by PUMMELKING

Im a democrat. you do not have to be a republican just because you live in tennessee. its america and its ok. If my son was in high school, i would do everything i could to get matches with tate robinson or brandon brunner. thats how you get better. I guess if you have the mindset that after high school, your wrestling career is over, one might try to run or hide behind excuses but what are you teaching your kids? maybe its just me but i thought the mindset was wrestle anyone you can everytime you are able to. If there are any coaches or parents out there reading these posts that have young wrestlers: I suggest you expose them to the national scene early on. I believe it will put a little perspective on things for you. its pretty cool cruising down the bracket and seeing states and not schools. check it out.

Way to much emphasis is put on the part about Education. A kid can get as good an education at a public school vs a private school. It all depends on how much the kid wants to work in the classroom and beyond not just at athletics.

Now I understand not all public schools have the same facilities and opportunities that private have, but you get back only how much you put into something.

So to be truthful, it is about Athletics and Reputation for the most part. People have a different oppinoin about private schools and think everyone who graduates from them are above public school systems.

I know sum schools have produced stats that are equal to and above some of the private schools. In reality it is all about the kid/athlete, home/family and supporters/teachers--community.

Parents don't shell out big bucks to private schools for nothing. While no doubt there are some pockets of excellence in the public school arena, on average the top prep school kids fare MUCH better in college. I didn't realize how much difference there was until my own public school educated kids went to college. Kids attending the prep schools mentioned here all the time are better prepared.

If my son was in high school, i would do everything i could to get matches with tate robinson or brandon brunner. thats how you get better.

Well of course, this is exactly what the Brothers did with Tate for years. Now they have to compete against him. That's the point. He was able to transfer to a boarding school without much difficulty. His family didn't have to move. All they had to do was drop him off. Baylor doesn't develop wrestlers. They inherit them.

If Michael Murphy wanted to transfer to CBHS, how could he? He can't. And if he did, he'd have to sit out a year. So, how is that a level playing field? And how could a jilted Tate be immediately eligible under TSSAA rules?

I've read some really uninformed posts from you on this board in the past, but this one takes the cake. Since you are/were an educator, your opinions as spread on this forum reflect some of the obstacles public schools have to overcome compared to the privates although you don't appear to stick at any of the publics schools very long either.

Common sense tells us private schools would tend to outperform public schools for no other reason than the private school applicants typically have to pass an entrance test prior to admittance. They can admit whomever they choose regardless of the admittance test but few would contend they reject the top academic applicants over the lower academic applicants. At the more popular privates there are more applicants than openings allowing them to be even more selective. Throw on top of that the privates are not required to address special education needs. If the academic base line level of their students is higher when they enter then the privates would really have to be messing things up to not expose their students to more academically than the neighborhood public school who is charged with educating all children within their zone.

The privates also don't have to deal with the same level of misbehavior as the publics. Don't behave to their standards and they kindly show you the door, problem solved. Lost time in the classroom due to the teachers addressing misbehavior is greatly reduced with the time restored to the educating process. The publics don't have the same ability as the courts have determined education to be a "right" not revocable due to bad behavior except in the most extreme cases.

The playing field is not level concerning academics. For the sake of the children, I hope you have found another career outside of education.

If Michael Murphy wanted to transfer to CBHS, how could he? He can't. And if he did, he'd have to sit out a year.

Young Mr. Murphy could be hosted by a CBHS family and allowed to take up residence in a guest house returning the favor the Murphy's afforded another McCallie student. If his residence moved from Chattanooga to Memphis, he would not have to sit.