2012 pre-season discussion, Transfers, Coaching changes and Rumors

chattanoogachoker

RED or blue? private or public? D1 or D2? what does it matter? The one and only thingthat matters is: whoever works the hardest wins. To sit around and ponder and worry about baylor or any other school having an advantage is obsurd. It sounds like you are wasting time when you could be working out. I promise there are more college all americans that didnt grow up with a silver spoon or that did not attend a private school than you can shake a stick at. GUARANTEED. We are who we choose to be. Everyone has an idea on what path they should take in order to be successful. Wrestling just happens to be the toughest path of all. It doesnt matter what school you attend or what part of the country you live in or even how much money you have. Its all about hard work. Everything else is an excuse and we all know that excuses are for the weak minded. Whether its at the elementary level or high school or college levels, everyone of us feels that sense of pride when one of our tennessee wrestlers wins or even places at the national level and thats because we are all in this together. We all want to see the growth of the sport reguardless of what color our singlet is. Lets face it. We are one great big family. A family I'm very proud to be a part of. We all respect each others sons because we know at the end of the day, they have tons of courage and pride for doing what they do. Keep your mouth closed, work hard, always move forward and make no excuses. Thats wrestling. Thats life.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youthcoach16, stop trying to get people to believe these schools do not recruit. I have spoken with their coaches and watched their alumni, parents and wrestlers openly recruit at Chatt middle school tournaments for decades. As taketop said above, this is the insulting part that they deny it. Be what you are a "PREP BOARDING" school. The only silly thing is that the TSSAA has not given them the boot like the OHSAA and many other progressive states. You want to be a prep school, bring in talent from all over the region and then compete against those who don't? Hope this gives you some great sense of accomplishment--which was nashwrestling's original point. Why doesn't UT schedule 10 football games every year with D3 schools? They don't have the same number of scholarships, the same rules, and the same support levels. thepaw is great above also, those D3 schools just need to be quiet and work harder. NO, there are classifications of schools in high school and college that are there for a reason. If you're in the same division you should have the same rules applied and currently that is not the case.

you people sound like a bunch of democrats? This is how it has been for ages. You are the latest round of participants and your interweb post are the only difference. When my school district was destroyed the writing was on the wall and I went to or transfered to a private school. I was succeding in three sports. If I would have had to sit out for a year I can assure you I would have been extrememly upset as athletics were a big part of my life. Why penalize a kid for their parents willing to get a second morgtgage and sacrafise their life for the next 15 years so he or she can get a quility education and soacial experience. Of course the youth tournaments are filled with people all wanting you to go to their school. When you spend four months out of the year in a gym with other wrestelers, their families, coaches, and fans , you are probably going to talk to somebody about their school at some point. If you dont want somebody to like what someone else has you better keep them locked in the basement. I have no affiliation with Baylor, but I admire and envy their ability to get quality student atheletes. I remember when McCallie was the one that everyone focused on, and I am sure at some point the others will all have their time in the barrell. Your focus on wrestling is clouding your judgement and not letting you see that it is only a small part of the educational experience. one that hopefully creates the next leaders and successful people of this country.

youthcoach16, stop trying to get people to believe these schools do not recruit. I have spoken with their coaches and watched their alumni, parents and wrestlers openly recruit at Chatt middle school tournaments for decades. As taketop said above, this is the insulting part that they deny it. Be what you are a "PREP BOARDING" school. The only silly thing is that the TSSAA has not given them the boot like the OHSAA and many other progressive states. You want to be a prep school, bring in talent from all over the region and then compete against those who don't? Hope this gives you some great sense of accomplishment--which was nashwrestling's original point. Why doesn't UT schedule 10 football games every year with D3 schools? They don't have the same number of scholarships, the same rules, and the same support levels. thepaw is great above also, those D3 schools just need to be quiet and work harder. NO, there are classifications of schools in high school and college that are there for a reason. If you're in the same division you should have the same rules applied and currently that is not the case.

I cant speak for other schools but I can tell you Baylor doesnt go out and recruit. I say this from experience as a father with a young wrestler and as a club co0ach with multiple studs every year.When you say "those" schools who are you refering to? If you are saying you have talked to Baylors coaches and they tell you they recruit then you my friend are what I would call a liar. As I stated previously, no past Baylor coaches could have even told you who was in our practice room and certainly not who was in another programs room. Our current coaches also do not keep up with youth wrestling in the least bit. They coach the kids that are enrolled at baylor and dont concern themselves with others. In fact based on my personal experience baylor was the only serious wrestling school that did not contact me in some fashion and that includes public schools that dont "recruit" supposedly. My youth club parents ask me all the time, "when is Baylor going to contact us "and I explain that it doesnt work that way. On the contrary other schools, and believe it or not its mostly the public schools contact my kids all the time. Now its obvious which side Im on so why dont you share with us your identity and maybe I will give you some examples of your school recruiting.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

I cant speak for other schools but I can tell you Baylor doesnt go out and recruit. I say this from experience as a father with a young wrestler and as a club co0ach with multiple studs every year.When you say "those" schools who are you refering to? If you are saying you have talked to Baylors coaches and they tell you they recruit then you my friend are what I would call a liar. As I stated previously, no past Baylor coaches could have even told you who was in our practice room and certainly not who was in another programs room. Our current coaches also do not keep up with youth wrestling in the least bit. They coach the kids that are enrolled at baylor and dont concern themselves with others. In fact based on my personal experience baylor was the only serious wrestling school that did not contact me in some fashion and that includes public schools that dont "recruit" supposedly. My youth club parents ask me all the time, "when is Baylor going to contact us "and I explain that it doesnt work that way. On the contrary other schools, and believe it or not its mostly the public schools contact my kids all the time. Now its obvious which side Im on so why dont you share with us your identity and maybe I will give you some examples of your school recruiting.

I believe you on this subject. I believe the coaches are not recruiting and probably do not know who is on which club teams (but I kind of doubt this part since those coaches probably like watching what is coming up). But last year (and probably many last years) this discussion came up and I offered to share a case of Baylor recruiting. So, if you want to know the truth, go ask Raider76. I gave him the specifics of who was involved (and it was not coaches). With that said, I do not have a problem with it. I see it as being on a "select" team and anybody who wants a great match should wrestle them. They compete in D2 for the trophies and those should be the ones that take issue with who has the best select team.

Most if not all of this so called recruiting is done by parents and kids, not school officials. I suspect all parents, fans , alumni etc are guilty of talking up their schools and encouraging people looking for a change to consider their school. I know I am certainly guilty, any chance I got to sell the school and programs my kids attended I took. In my case we didn't have much to offer except the chance to be a multi-sport starter in a small school but for some it was enough. If Tennessee was really progressive they would have open enrollment so parents wouldn't have to skirt around TSSAA's idiotic rules in order to vote with their feet.

And the sweater vested guy in Ohio had no idea what was going on in his program, right? Why are some people the last to know! We have been watching this in Chatt for years. No it is not the coaches, though they generally do know who is good and which of their parents have contact with other parents. Baylor is a fantastic school, but needs to either up their game and go compete against similar schools or at a minimum the TSSAA needs to curb the potential recruiting by making the transfer rules the same for all schools. Maj wants open boundaries, not sure I agree with this as the recruiting by all schools could them get pretty out of hand, but at least that would be equally open. The red has had success competing against TN public schools and other non-boarding private schools, but agreeing with nashwresting, the success is really not as impressive given the advantages and their regional recruiting. What would be more impressive would be seeing one of our local Chatt boarding schools beat others in a similar status such as Blair, Wyoming Seminary, and the McDonough School.

you people sound like a bunch of democrats? This is how it has been for ages. You are the latest round of participants and your interweb post are the only difference. When my school district was destroyed the writing was on the wall and I went to or transfered to a private school. I was succeding in three sports. If I would have had to sit out for a year I can assure you I would have been extrememly upset as athletics were a big part of my life. Why penalize a kid for their parents willing to get a second morgtgage and sacrafise their life for the next 15 years so he or she can get a quility education and soacial experience. Of course the youth tournaments are filled with people all wanting you to go to their school. When you spend four months out of the year in a gym with other wrestelers, their families, coaches, and fans , you are probably going to talk to somebody about their school at some point. If you dont want somebody to like what someone else has you better keep them locked in the basement. I have no affiliation with Baylor, but I admire and envy their ability to get quality student atheletes. I remember when McCallie was the one that everyone focused on, and I am sure at some point the others will all have their time in the barrell. Your focus on wrestling is clouding your judgement and not letting you see that it is only a small part of the educational experience. one that hopefully creates the next leaders and successful people of this country.

"Sound like a bunch of democrats"? I assume you're using that as a negative. Since we're name calling, how should we refer to your mis-spellings or lack of basic punctuation and capitalization skills? While you're busy "admiring and envying" the wealthy private schools, perhaps it is your own judgement that is getting clouded. One question... Are all of the "next leaders and successful people of this country" from private schools, or just Repubublicans,..or both?

This will likely be my lost post on this topic but MOCS2011- it's time for you to shut up. You have got to be one of the most annoying posters this board has ever seen. I grew up hating the red team and do til this day, but in their defense McCallie is a "prep boarding school" too and as a matter of fact has more "prep boarders" that the red school does. Without a doubt I feel Robinson should have to sit out a year, but as for recruiting I doubt that the Red faithful actually "recruited him". as much as i hate to say it Baylor has one of the best wrestling programs in the south, i can't blame him for going there. It's time for you (Mocs2011) to quit being jealous of the people affilated with these prep boarding schools that you seem to want to outcast because it isn't fair... boo hoo hoo icon_cry.gif get over it! I can promise you that teams like Ryan, CBHS, MBA, etc. (d2 teams) enjoy competing against the "prep boarding schools" like mccallie and baylor and would hate the idea of them not being able to compete in the tssaa. And good news for you is your public school doesn't have to worry about one of these schools taking your public school state title. If they want to compete against them in the regular season thats their choice! Don't hate what you don't have, Mocs! thumb[1].gif

As always , Go Blu!

dont be this cat........it;s the intrweb . Know wen your phat fingers are appropriate and when it is just in errelevant intraweb forum.

grammarnazicat.jpg

And yes, the democrat comment was a negative. I apologize. I just feel that for some it is easier to critisize kids and parents for trying to give themselves a statistical advadtage at the cost of hard work and financial burden. The future leaders comment is about all Tennessee wrestlers. There are studies that show that wrestleres are natural leaders. Why cant we try to build up these wrestlers instead of trying to tear them down. They are the leaders of the future, private or public.,;".repubican or demokrout

Edited by dogless

And the sweater vested guy in Ohio had no idea what was going on in his program, right? Why are some people the last to know! We have been watching this in Chatt for years. No it is not the coaches, though they generally do know who is good and which of their parents have contact with other parents. Baylor is a fantastic school, but needs to either up their game and go compete against similar schools or at a minimum the TSSAA needs to curb the potential recruiting by making the transfer rules the same for all schools. Maj wants open boundaries, not sure I agree with this as the recruiting by all schools could them get pretty out of hand, but at least that would be equally open. The red has had success competing against TN public schools and other non-boarding private schools, but agreeing with nashwresting, the success is really not as impressive given the advantages and their regional recruiting. What would be more impressive would be seeing one of our local Chatt boarding schools beat others in a similar status such as Blair, Wyoming Seminary, and the McDonough School.

You keep saying people cant compete with Baylors regional recruiting but yet they have explained how kids end up there. They want to go there, its seems simple. You dont want to believe anything but what you want to believe. Didnt someone ask you what school you were from and he would give you some examples of recruiting maybe you dont want to talk about? Please sir, state your name and school affiliation and lets see what dirty laundry comes out.