Running up the score

blazer1set

First of all, you can see by the screen name that I am neither a DB or Science Hill fan. But here goes... it seems that DB and SH have been getting a lot of flak for running up the score. DB and SH fans will respond that they are playing subs and you can't tell those guys not to play hard. So there are valid points on both sides of this issue when DB/SH play woefully outmanned opponents. So here's a possible solution that solves the problem on both sides...

Once you're up 50-0 and the subs are still cleaning the other teams clock, how about you install a new offense where the subs play positions that they aren't used to. So let a defensive back play QB, switch the running backs and wide receivers, i.e., shuffle them up. Run 3 plays alternating.... 1. pitch right, 2. pitch left, 3. QB keeps. That way the subs can play as hard as they are able but probably won't "click" that well offensively. It will give the subs some quality playing time but at the same time not end up humiliating the other team. And I guarantee you that a mostly defensive player who gets to play offense will have the time of their life even if they don't score or get a 1st down

Thoughts??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you can see by the screen name that I am neither a DB or Science Hill fan. But here goes... it seems that DB and SH have been getting a lot of flak for running up the score. DB and SH fans will respond that they are playing subs and you can't tell those guys not to play hard. So there are valid points on both sides of this issue when DB/SH play woefully outmanned opponents. So here's a possible solution that solves the problem on both sides...

Once you're up 50-0 and the subs are still cleaning the other teams clock, how about you install a new offense where the subs play positions that they aren't used to. So let a defensive back play QB, switch the running backs and wide receivers, i.e., shuffle them up. Run 3 plays alternating.... 1. pitch right, 2. pitch left, 3. QB keeps. That way the subs can play as hard as they are able but probably won't "click" that well offensively. It will give the subs some quality playing time but at the same time not end up humiliating the other team. And I guarantee you that a mostly defensive player who gets to play offense will have the time of their life even if they don't score or get a 1st down

Thoughts??

This is a joke, right?

Thoughts??

It's up to the other team to stop a team from scoring. The second and third string kids deserve to get their reps in and run their offense.

I don't even like the mercy rule as it takes reps from non starters who deserv to get playing time to get better. I would be more ashamed of getting mercy ruled then getting beat 70-0 for a full game; if I were a player; but that's just me. When my team got killed; we used it as motivation for the next year.

DB and SH should be able to keep running their offense and getting reps in. They will face some really good teams in the playoffs and will need the reps and experience to pay off.

Thoughts??

I never like to see a team embarrassed, but the DB coach is between a rock and a hard place, IMO. The region teams they play are not the strongest, and he has been lambasted the last two or three years for getting put out of the playoffs early. He could either let the starters play a quarter and a half and pull them, and then get beat again in the playoffs because his team is not used to playing a four quarter game, or he can worry about making his team the best they can be by playing them longer, which in turn is going to mean that the opponent gets a little embarrassed. if you felt your job may be on the line, what would you do? I would try to get my team prepared for the playoffs, as best as I could. It is not the coaches fault that he is playing in the region that he plays, but that region does not do him any favors for getting a team prepared to play in the playoffs.

Thoughts??

Maybe they can ask the cheerleader captain to qb , the mascot to play tailback, maybe grab some of the 10 year olds in the stands to plug in at O line as well........

MAN UP, I you got all your subs in , calling all dive plays its not running up the score

When an if some of these really good playoff team get a chance to run the score up on DB/SH

Do you think they will hold back??????

It really doesn't matter...we can take it...not whiners here...It's our job to stop them on defense and keep their offenses off of the field when we have the bal. If we can't do either, let the chips fall where they may. America is a country that fosters competition and we are proud a part of that time honored tradition!!!!