11-AA

tigers90

I love how many "basketball coaches" with 20+ win seasons are posting on this topic in the last 2 pages. The reason I say this is because both coaches being questioned were 20 game winners just last season and appear to be headed toward 20 win campaigns this season as well.

Cheatham County has a fan who is dogging the coaching and Camden has a fan who is dogging the coaching. Some of you people should be coaching at the college level with Coach K, Pitino, Calipari, Izzo, Williams, and Self with all of the knowledge and expert advice that you have to offer on the game of basketball.

I say the same thing about a particular poster from the fall's football topics as well. That guy wanted to get on here and be critical of the coaches philosophy following a 12-1 campaign THE DAY AFTER THEY WERE ELIMINATED in the state Quarterfinals. I am sorry but when you can't go up to those same people and make your opinion known face-to-face then it is best to just keep your opinion to yourself.

I believe that this season will be my last of posting on these message boards because it seems that there is more and more "coach bashing" nowadays than what I have read on here throughout the last 10 years. I have always held the belief that everyone should have an opinion on these message boards however I also feel like those beliefs shouldn't be hidden behind a screen name only. If you're willing to throw a coach under the bus on a public message board then you should at least be willing to make your opinion known to that coach personally. Hiding behind a "CoachT Screen Name" is just cowardly in my opinion.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Harpeth has had just as many transfer in. Sal the point guard from Sycamore one year, Dansby from Cheatham, etc. Atkisson went to Creekwood. I'm leaving somebody out besides all the girls that have moved around from school to school. It happens. My kid played against kids at Hickman and East Hickman and Creekwood that were Harpeth kids that moved for whatever reason. Personality conficts at some level, parental influence or just moved to another part of the district. I'll stand by what I said. Do an exit poll 5-6 years after the kid has graduated and ask the questions. Folks get WAY too caught up in high school athletics. It's all about that 1/2 scholarship to a junior college. We need to get some perspective about what is really important. And that's across the board. Coaches should be encouraging kids to play as many sports as they can while they can instead of burning them out on the one. Parents should stop putting this phenom status on their kids in junior pro and then watching them crash and burn. Put that money you pay to travel around the state playing AAU, travel ball and getting private lessons into a mutual fund and pay for your kids education yourself. There are too many options for kids/parents that are disgruntled for whatever reason. In Cheatham County, they can pay to play at NCS, PVCS, Davidson Academy, Goodpasture or CPA and drop their kids off on the way to work, play out of zone at Cheatham or Harpeth without penalty or move.

The reason that West Tennessee kicks our tails in athletics is because their communities buy in. Those students outside of Jackson and Memphis don't have options for private schools or open zones and they are invested in their community schools. You don't read about them having a different Director of Schools every year and turning over coaches and teachers constantly. I think that's a phenomenon that's exclusive to little rural counties adjacent to big urban ones.

Off the soap box. There is some shared blame about this stuff and hindsight is 20/20. My wife and I moved here to have a community based school where everybody knows everybody as we were both products of big AAA schools. 20 years into it, I have mixed feelings about which is the best.

Congratulations to Creek Wood. Their gym has always been a tough place to play.

What kind of bumbling mess are you talking about. I don't have a child playing for harpeth, they are long gone. And if the kids that I have been referring to are washed up, then I truely believe you have no idea about anything you are talking about. It's funny how every time you mentions harpeths coach you call him by his name and leave out the coach part.........funny.

I love how many "basketball coaches" with 20+ win seasons are posting on this topic in the last 2 pages. The reason I say this is because both coaches being questioned were 20 game winners just last season and appear to be headed toward 20 win campaigns this season as well.

Cheatham County has a fan who is dogging the coaching and Camden has a fan who is dogging the coaching. Some of you people should be coaching at the college level with Coach K, Pitino, Calipari, Izzo, Williams, and Self with all of the knowledge and expert advice that you have to offer on the game of basketball.

I say the same thing about a particular poster from the fall's football topics as well. That guy wanted to get on here and be critical of the coaches philosophy following a 12-1 campaign THE DAY AFTER THEY WERE ELIMINATED in the state Quarterfinals. I am sorry but when you can't go up to those same people and make your opinion known face-to-face then it is best to just keep your opinion to yourself.

I believe that this season will be my last of posting on these message boards because it seems that there is more and more "coach bashing" nowadays than what I have read on here throughout the last 10 years. I have always held the belief that everyone should have an opinion on these message boards however I also feel like those beliefs shouldn't be hidden behind a screen name only. If you're willing to throw a coach under the bus on a public message board then you should at least be willing to make your opinion known to that coach personally. Hiding behind a "CoachT Screen Name" is just cowardly in my opinion.

Whats your real name buddy? Whether your talking about your team beating up on other teams or bashing a coach. Hey---whats the difference? just asking!

One one note...for anyone to post that Cheatham thru away the season on one district loss is really stupid they will be there in the end...../

Just sayin. If we're wondering why kids are playing somewhere else. There's plenty of reasons. For every one that can't play for Coach Wilson (see I can do it) there's just as many that transferred in to play for him. I don't spend a lot of time wondering the why's and what for's. More power to them if they want to transfer and have the means to legally do so. Every player/coach relationship is not the perfect fit. I know those kids playing for Cheatham and Creek Wood and they're good kids.

In the big picture, it's just high school basketball. Hopefully, any player's high school playing days aren't what defines them. It's much easier to take pot shots from a computer chair than to make a difference otherwise. I'm with howdoitknow on this one thing. I'm not into coach bashing over a computer and I thought everybody knew his real name. :mrgreen:

To each his own. From my point of view and I've been around for awhile, Harpeth parents/fans seem to be in an inordinate amount of these discussions on Coach T. I haven't seen anything positive come from it yet. Carry on. I'm done. I don't have a kid playing either.

Hopefully we can start talking about the games instead of this nonsense, anyways Cheatham County and Waverly play next Tuesday January 15th @Waverly. This is definitely the marquee game in this District. Cheatham County suffered a shocking loss to Creekwood last night and Waverly continued their impressive play against Camden.

Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Looking forward to it.

Hopefully we can start talking about the games instead of this nonsense, anyways Cheatham County and Waverly play next Tuesday January 15th @Waverly. This is definitely the marquee game in this District. Cheatham County suffered a shocking loss to Creekwood last night and Waverly continued their impressive play against Camden.

Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Looking forward to it.

Yes Cheatham did lose a game against Creek Wood. But it's not going to end their season like some have posted on here. I picked Waverly to win from the begining, due to coaching and Mulinax. I seen him play twice this year. Cheatham does not have anyone that, "I think" can stop him. He's putting up some big numbers this year. And I think Waverly's coaching style will wear down Cheatham.

As far as the bashing coaches on here. Some of us just make simple points and others take it to exstremes. In truth and reality, a real coach will take criticism and use it to their advantage.

But your right, Waverly and Cheatham is the games of district 11-AA this year.

But Waverly does play Creek Wood Friday-they need not look past them, maybe as Cheatham did. Creek Wood has a couple really good players but the pace Waverly plays, well, it will be a long shot for Creek Wood to beat them. But it's was a long shot for them to beat Cheatham as well........

I have seen both teams a lot this year, and in my opinion, Waverly will struggle bc their lack of size. Cheatham has the guards to play with Waverly. As for style of play, I don't believe Cheatham will be affected by Waverly's up tempo play. Cheatham will have to guard Waverly at the 3 point line, Waverly can shoot the ball well.

My critizism of coach T, does not mean I think he is a bad coach, he is a young coach who sometimes trys to manage the game by the clock and the clock only. Some of us on here, occassionally like to blow off some steam. Better to do it hear then make a scene with the program. If people took offense to my comments I apologize.

I have seen both teams a lot this year, and in my opinion, Waverly will struggle bc their lack of size. Cheatham has the guards to play with Waverly. As for style of play, I don't believe Cheatham will be affected by Waverly's up tempo play. Cheatham will have to guard Waverly at the 3 point line, Waverly can shoot the ball well.

I would tend to agree that if Waverly lacks anything it is size. Although Cheatham has a size advantage against Waverly, in the games I have seen them (Cheatham) play, they do not use it as I thought they would. Against Creek Wood they did not use it at all and it cost them I believe.

That having been said I believe Waverly wins against Cheatham by 10-15. IMO their up tempo style will cause Cheatham problems and IMO Cheatham is less disciplined than Waverly and that will allow Waverly to pull away. Creek Wood's press seemed to rattle Cheatham a little and if CW's press rattled them then Waverly's will completely unnerve them.

But on any given night who knows and if Cheatham plays well against Waverly it could be a great one. One advantage Cheatham may have is Waverly has to play Dickson County Monday night and turn around and catch Cheatham Tuesday.

Just sayin. If we're wondering why kids are playing somewhere else. There's plenty of reasons. For every one that can't play for Coach Wilson (see I can do it) there's just as many that transferred in to play for him. I don't spend a lot of time wondering the why's and what for's. More power to them if they want to transfer and have the means to legally do so. Every player/coach relationship is not the perfect fit. I know those kids playing for Cheatham and Creek Wood and they're good kids.

In the big picture, it's just high school basketball. Hopefully, any player's high school playing days aren't what defines them. It's much easier to take pot shots from a computer chair than to make a difference otherwise. I'm with howdoitknow on this one thing. I'm not into coach bashing over a computer and I thought everybody knew his real name. :mrgreen:

To each his own. From my point of view and I've been around for awhile, Harpeth parents/fans seem to be in an inordinate amount of these discussions on Coach T. I haven't seen anything positive come from it yet. Carry on. I'm done. I don't have a kid playing either.

I agree with you to a point. But anyone one here that isn't using their real name is taking pot shots. And I think I'm right when I say "stating the truth is not taking pot shots". And yes players tranferred into Harpeth. And it isn't that they transferred in, it's why did they tranfer. Why did that player/players leave? Just not getting along is not enough for someone to tranfer.

These are just my thoughts. Heck if I was a Cheatham or Creek Wood fan I wouldn't be crying either. But being a Harpeth fan, well it's just hard for me to watch kids that played here through middle school and having to watch them playing against us. I posted this before. "a real coach can take negative criticism and make it a positive for him/her". Never once have I called any coach on here a bad person. I just call it as I see it. Some over coach and it's frustating.

In my humble opinion....99% of transfers are caused by disgruntled parents. Once the parent starts questioning the Coach in front of their kid, the kid buys into it.

This is not teaching a very good lesson, it is better to teach the kid to adapt to the situation and rise above it. Parents tend to see things thru DaddyMommy/Goggles. They have unrealistice opinions about how good their kid is, this leads to the conspiracy theory. You know the one that " the only reason my son is not playing more is because the other kids parents are more(involved,influential,liked,powerful,)" substitute whatever word you want here.

The other thing I see that causes the transfers is that the kid has been told since he was 9 what a phenom he is. When he gets to HS, he expects to start as a freshmen, and lead the team in scoring, rebounds, assists, and date the homecoming queen. When it doesn't occur this way, well we gotta blame somebody. Hey lets blame the Coach! His style doesn't fit our kid, he's too hard/easy on the kids. Whatever the reason those looking for an out can always find one.

That being said, I wish nothing but the best for anyone who transfers in or out. I hope they find a better situation that they can thrive in. We don't own these kids and they are free to move wherever allowed by TSSAA. It is a hardship on them to leave their friends and make new ones, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Sometimes it just gets to a point where that is the only option left, although it should never get to that point.