McKenzie Rebels 2013

foxtrot16

Some of McKenzie's finest BBQ cooks are no longer doing their thing including Mayo, Woods and Bob's!!! But we still got one place that's pretty decent in spite of all of that!!!! Big Daddy's is plenty good enough to stop you from worrying about them others. I think we can get by just fine in that department.

Don't reckon Booker T would be paying homage to me and Butchie since we only was at their football field behind the school on a different street against another team. That's the way they roll in Memphis you know. Now back behind the school on Danny Thomas there might be some kind of memorial of our troops that night. The three of us stood strong and preserved all our honor and body parts in the face of adversity!!!! But that really had nothing to do with Booker T. ! Just mainly that freakin' bird bar across the street. I won't swear they didn't put up a statue though???

Congrats on the W!!!!!!

remember ole hollis. recon he got out of bbq business into gittar business. a true character

remember ole hollis. recon he got out of bbq business into gittar business. a true character

Dang hardhead70 you must be older than I thought. Hollis and I went to school together and been friends for many years. Now he never was the official chef but mostly a "helper outer" around the place. He could get it done though. But, Hollis's first thing was always making music and he's still pretty good at it. At the MHS Homecoming last September, Hollis and Steve Poole and some others put one of the old bands back together from the 60's and early 70's and played several sets at the deal. Sounded as good as they did back in the day!! In their first break, Hollis, Steve and I even had to check out Steve's trunk for contraband (we might have found a little bit too........it was outside and dark so.............)! It was a hoot, there was a bunch of us "seasoned folks" dancin' in the street behind the high school and tryin' our best to look like we were 17 again. Pretty sure that part didn't work out so well. But Hollis is still around and ain't changed a bit and still makin' music.

It Was Probably A Mustang contractor that Built It In The Flood Plain Anyhow....Dang Hoserstangs...LOL

As much as I hate to say it since the Mayo's are good long time freinds whoever picked that location is likely kin to whoever picked the location for New Orleans only Mayo's flooded out more often. I guess Crooked Creek is above sea level but it ain't above much else down there. Man they had some awsome BBQ though.

Dang hardhead70 you must be older than I thought. Hollis and I went to school together and been friends for many years. Now he never was the official chef but mostly a "helper outer" around the place. He could get it done though. But, Hollis's first thing was always making music and he's still pretty good at it. At the MHS Homecoming last September, Hollis and Steve Poole and some others put one of the old bands back together from the 60's and early 70's and played several sets at the deal. Sounded as good as they did back in the day!! In their first break, Hollis, Steve and I even had to check out Steve's trunk for contraband (we might have found a little bit too........it was outside and dark so.............)! It was a hoot, there was a bunch of us "seasoned folks" dancin' in the street behind the high school and tryin' our best to look like we were 17 again. Pretty sure that part didn't work out so well. But Hollis is still around and ain't changed a bit and still makin' music.

I think Hollis is one maybe two years older than me but that still makes me older than dirt

I think Hollis is one maybe two years older than me but that still makes me older than dirt

Not to mention the same age as me!!!!!!! Hollis was a year ahead of me in school. I'd say there's a better than fair chance we know each other. You remember a little Htown philly named Wanda Anderson? I dated her for a while back in school. Nothing but good memories and respect for her. Good girl. Knew a bunch of folks over your way back in the day. I could make a long list actually of friends from Mustang country.

Edited by duckman38201

Not to mention the same age as me!!!!!!! Hollis was a year ahead of me in school. I'd say there's a better than fair chance we know each other. You remember a little Htown philly named Wanda Anderson? I dated her for a while back in school. Nothing but good memories and respect for her. Good girl. Knew a bunch of folks over your way back in the day. I could make a long list actually of friends from Mustang country.

Yep. I remember Wanda. Good girl

Ok...ok...Enough With The Trip Down Memory lane ...LOL

Hey Butchie, have you (or anyone else out there) heard anything about Chavez transferring yet??? Some I"ve asked say if he is he's not mentioned it to anyone. Just curious.

Now tradertwo, if that had been the response my sincerest congratulations would have been forthcoming for landing one of Htowns finest ever!! (OK Butchie, I"m moving on.......sure is fun talking 'bout the old days though!)

BUT, if does all tie into football!!! In the 1963 season us Rebels played Huntingdon over there on the old field and it was Huntingdon's homecoming. Us Rebels won 19-13 on a last minute TD pass. The afore mentioned girlfriend was the first maid in the Huntingdon royalty and that pretty much strained the relationship "to death" if you will. LOL. I hate that happened but still love recalling that win!!!!!!!! Back then we only beat them about once every 10 years!!!! Actually that didn't really turn around untill the last 10 years roughly. And it's past due for the Rebels to turn that back around again!!!!

LOL, i had a CoachT moment this AM!! I was heading up to the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge--Duck River Unit at New Johnsonville to assist with some duck banding. It was good daylight but EARLY none the less for a day that I didn't have to actually work when I crossed "the creek" and went by Mayo's old building!! Made me smile a little bit for the first time this AM thinking about all of this. The duck banding was very cool too.

So when does spring practice start?? Soon I hope so some questions can be partially answered at least.

Edited by duckman38201

Duck? A Man Of Your History And Stature, Needs To Be Cautious,Of Revealing Lost Loves And One Night Stands. I Was Once Speaking To A Fellow Over On Cox Lane...Seems To Me..."She Left The One, She Left Me For!"...Ya Never Too Far Away From Ya History...

Trader?...How's The Scott's Hill Republic These Days?...I Hear Ya Cheerleaders Are A Wearing Kilts In Favor Of Ya Name Sake...LOL

Duck, I Aint Heered Nuttin...But That Boy's Family Has Been Hollerin That Mess Since Last Year...Heck Leave, Play, Do Something...I'm Bought Tired Of Frettin With It...Hey?...We Need Uh Go To Huntingdon And Get One Them Big Burgers From Casey's...Maybe Get Ole Trader Come Sit A Spell And Sip A Lil Suds...And Bring Ya Body Guard For Protection,..Trader...Anybody That Is So Barrel Chested That You Can Tote A Six Pack On It...Oughta Be A Hoot Wif A Few Drinks In Him!..LOL...Trader?...You In?

Edited by Butchie