Maryville vs. Dobyns-Bennett TSSAA 6A Quarterfinals

Red Rebels

On another note, I would be curious about the observed traditions of Maryville High School and the football program. Tradition and ritual go a long way into defining who we are as schools and programs. Both DB and Maryville have great traditions and such. Some of those will be at play Friday night. Some of them have contributed to the Maryville football program, help to make it what it is, and help make it successful.

At DB, we have several traditions and "rituals". Traditions that have been around for a while are the War Whoop which is when the band marches onto the the end of the field and the football team approaches them from center field. Another is pre-game show where the band always plays Rocky Top, the entrance of the team through the band as it is playing the school song. Newer ones include the team, cheer leaders, and students celebrating with the band at the end of the game. Things like this build school spirit and make the young kids in the fan base want to be Indians when they grow up. School spirit goes a long way towards allowing a strong team to exist. And yea, I know I'm not thinking of a lot more.

I'm sure you have some really neat traditions. So what kinds of traditions and "rituals" make Maryville strong? One I have observed is the little kids playing on the field after the game. As I understand it, their "heros" come out later and pass a few balls with them. If this is what is happening, it is a great tradition. Who knows, sharing traditions could make both teams stronger in the future. And that is good for East Tennessee football.

Hope to hear some replies. Maybe knot frum STARSNBARS. I wouldn't understand a word of it. unsure.png

Traditions

The Rebel Walk- before big games...like this week, the team will exit the locker room and enter the field in a single file line through the stands.

The Iron Cross (somebody make this a link from youtube can't from my iPad)

Scoreboard Chant by Students - hopefully you will hear this as the final seconds click off the clock.

Gathering of team, cheerleaders, coaches, fans and families after the game on the field. Little kids playing catch and visiting with the players.

Thanksgiving morning practice

Edited by MHS82

I'm sure you have some really neat traditions. So what kinds of traditions and "rituals" make Maryville strong? One I have observed is the little kids playing on the field after the game. As I understand it, their "heros" come out later and pass a few balls with them. If this is what is happening, it is a great tradition. Who knows, sharing traditions could make both teams stronger in the future. And that is good for East Tennessee football.

Hope to hear some replies. Maybe knot frum STARSNBARS. I wouldn't understand a word of it. unsure.png

DBGRAD70......Eye represint that rite thair.....bean.gif

Hear's tha Iron Cross.....popcorneater.gif

Edited by STARSNBARS

How about some stats on head coach. Whats his record at Maryville. I thinl his first season he was 5-5 inthe regular season and then lights out after that. Championships. Etc.... ROLL TRIBE

First year as head coach was 1999. Think his current w/l record is 191-13. At least thats what this mornings paper said. 7 of those losses came in first two years.

How about some stats on head coach. Whats his record at Maryville. I thinl his first season he was 5-5 inthe regular season and then lights out after that. Championships. Etc.... ROLL TRIBE

GQ wint 10-7 inn hiz furst 17 gaims and cents that point he iz.....181-6.........191-13 overall....9 stait champeenships.....Haz haid a 74 gaim winnin' streek....a 39 gaim winnin' streek...and currentlee werkin' on a 41 gaim winnin' streek....Mairvul haz 713 wins currentlee...trailin' onlee D-B overall inn Tinnersee....popcorneater.gif

Anuthur Mairvul tradishun iz vurry good sangers......

Edited by STARSNBARS