CAK vs. Alcoa REPEAT

POLKcoPRIDE

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to CAK! I would not have thought it to be possible for them to beat Alcoa in the quarters by scoring 38 points on the Tornadoes defense for 2 straight postseasons. I was wrong! I look forward to seeing a CAK vs CPA state final in 2 weeks!

I had not thought about CAKe scoring the same 38 points this year as last year. That is an excellent point. Although both games were excellent, it is interesting to think about last year actually being closer.

Edited by Govolsknox

Oh, almost fergot 'til me and Hermit wuz talkin' about the game.

Now I'm know Nix is a great defensive coach, but what wuz it with the defensive linemen and linebackers havin' wrist play charts? I seen one of 'em down in his stance, checkin' the dang call, when the ball wuz snapped. Whole team looked confused all night.

Tried to git too fancy. "Keep it simple stupid"

Oh, almost fergot 'til me and Hermit wuz talkin' about the game.

Now I'm know Nix is a great defensive coach, but what wuz it with the defensive linemen and linebackers havin' wrist play charts? I seen one of 'em down in his stance, checkin' the dang call, when the ball wuz snapped. Whole team looked confused all night.

Tried to git too fancy. "Keep it simple stupid"

I suspect that, against most teams, Alcoa has enough size and athleticism to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB using standard rush techniques. CAK's OL is not typical; they are very good, have size across the board, and extremely well-coached. For that reason, it's been my observation watching Alcoa play CAK several times over the last few years that Alcoa usually uses a wide variety of rush packages against CAK that they don't have to use, or don't use much, in other games. A lot of blitz packages and different "twists," etc. Against a very good OL, you have to do those things to get consistent pressure on the QB, and Alcoa did get to CAK's QB a time or two the other night. However, for the most part, he had sufficient time to make his reads and check-downs. Both teams executed at an extremely high level in this game not just on the edges and downfield, but in the trenches as well.

I suspect that, against most teams, Alcoa has enough size and athleticism to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB using standard rush techniques. CAK's OL is not typical; they are very good, have size across the board, and extremely well-coached. For that reason, it's been my observation watching Alcoa play CAK several times over the last few years that Alcoa usually uses a wide variety of rush packages against CAK that they don't have to use, or don't use much, in other games. A lot of blitz packages and different "twists," etc. Against a very good OL, you have to do those things to get consistent pressure on the QB, and Alcoa did get to CAK's QB a time or two the other night. However, for the most part, he had sufficient time to make his reads and check-downs. Both teams executed at an extremely high level in this game not just on the edges and downfield, but in the trenches as well.

Well ... for all the signal calling and confusion, I didn't see a whole lot of stunts and blitzes. Just sayin.

In the first game, Alcoa started with rushing only 4, but was not able to get enough pressure on C High to substantially alter the CAKe passing game. In the second half, Alcoa had some success rushing 5 - 6 and interrupting High as he went through his progression. Even though CAKe scored 2 TD's in both halfs, the strategy was somewhat effective. As a number of Alcoa fans pointed out, this held CAKe's completion percentage below 50% in the second half, which is impressive.

IMO, CRB anticipated that CGR would come into the game with the intent of rushing C High with more than 4. I believe CAKe worked all week on being ready for it with a number of plays to counter it. Shallow crossing routes, checking down to the RB, etc. Although CAKe didn't execute all of these perfectly early on with a couple of drops and balls not perfectly thrown, it was obvious they were wide open. IMO I believe this caused CGR to decide that he could not consistently rush 5+ without getting burned with short passes that turned into big runs after the catch.

Edited by Govolsknox

Sorry for the late congrats CAK Warriors! I had to travel all day Saturday. The CAK offense is a "Highlight film" live! Charier High made play after play! He as 100 times the heart of that Guy that playered Saturday in orange that gave up!

A big congrats to the Alcoa team and especially the Seniors you made us proud!!! :)

Thanks BC! Hope your trip was safe. Hope you'll continue to post and stay in touch as the rest plays out. It was a great atmosphere in Alcoa Friday, and a tremendous game.

Sorry for the late congrats CAK Warriors! I had to travel all day Saturday. The CAK offense is a "Highlight film" live! Charier High made play after play! He as 100 times the heart of that Guy that playered Saturday in orange that gave up!

A big congrats to the Alcoa team and especially the Seniors you made us proud!!! :)

Thanks BC, I knew you would get around to it when time allowed. You guys love your team just like we love ours, but in the end both schools and their fans have a great deal of respect for each other. (Although I think a few Greeneville posters have taken it to another level :lol: ) Speaking of Charlie High and highlights, what about the play where he was wrapped up and being taken to the turf all the while keeping his eyes down field and finding a receiver to flip the ball too. Wow! I have said it before, playing against the Tornadoes has made us better. Of course the run of athletes we have had over the past few years hasn't hurt. Can't say how much longer I will continue to post after this season since I am getting farther and farther removed from the personal relationships with the players that have made this coachT experience so much fun, but all the antics, pictures, BOH liars club meals, and visits at games with the Alcoa faithful has been a hoot and something I will always remember. Like GVK said, hope you post and stay in touch as we try to carry on the District 4 dominance of the gold ball :thumb: