Powell's HC Rang on admin leave...

Guest Termite

I really don't like feeding into rumors and such, but I guess I'm about too. Here in Smith County, it seems to be rumored that Rang has applied for the HC job left vacant when Jimmy Maynord left for Cookville after 14 years here.I don't know if this is true or not, just stuff you hear. What seems to give it a little weight to me is....again according to some....Gary Rankin, who is from, played, and had his 1st HC job,in Smith County, has endorsed Rang. I'm just looking for some info...whether or not this carries any weight, and if so, maybe a little about Coach Rang. If this is way of base, I hate I fed into any rumors,

I really don't like feeding into rumors and such, but I guess I'm about too. Here in Smith County, it seems to be rumored that Rang has applied for the HC job left vacant when Jimmy Maynord left for Cookville after 14 years here.I don't know if this is true or not, just stuff you hear. What seems to give it a little weight to me is....again according to some....Gary Rankin, who is from, played, and had his 1st HC job,in Smith County, has endorsed Rang. I'm just looking for some info...whether or not this carries any weight, and if so, maybe a little about Coach Rang. If this is way of base, I hate I fed into any rumors,

That rumor is out there. I was asked about it by a media contact in Middle Tennessee yesterday.

At this point, there is still nothing new on Coach Rang's situation. He is still suspended, but with pay, by Knox County Schools. His fate is entirely in the hands of the Knox County Schools Superintendent at this point.

My personal belief is that if there were grounds for termination, it would have been done by now. The fact that he is still being paid leads me to believe otherwise. Exactly how it will end up at the end of the school year? I don't believe anybody knows at this point, other than the Superintendent. We'll certainly know before long, as we aren't that far from the end of the school year, and most likely contracts or the 2013/2014 school year will be offered. Not sure exactly how that works, but it would make sense.

That said, Coach Rang is an outstanding young and energetic football coach and by all accounts a good teacher. Apparently he made a mistake, and he has certainly already paid a huge price for it. If he isn't back at Powell next year, somebody - maybe Smith County, maybe somebody else - will get a good person and a good coach and teacher. I believe he deserves another opportunity to prove himself.

Edited by HTV

That rumor is out there. I was asked about it by a media contact in Middle Tennessee yesterday.

At this point, there is still nothing new on Coach Rang's situation. He is still suspended, but with pay, by Knox County Schools. His fate is entirely in the hands of the Knox County Schools Superintendent at this point.

My personal belief is that if there were grounds for termination, it would have been done by now. The fact that he is still being paid leads me to believe otherwise. Exactly how it will end up at the end of the school year? I don't believe anybody knows at this point, other than the Superintendent. We'll certainly know before long, as we aren't that far from the end of the school year, and most likely contracts or the 2013/2014 school year will be offered. Not sure exactly how that works, but it would make sense.

That said, Coach Rang is an outstanding young and energetic football coach and by all accounts a good teacher. Apparently he made a mistake, and he has certainly already paid a huge price for it. If he isn't back at Powell next year, somebody - maybe Smith County, maybe somebody else - will get a good person and a good coach and teacher. I believe he deserves another opportunity to prove himself.

Well said HTV.

Coach Rang confirmed for me that he has resigned this morning. Hate to see it happen, but it's done. I certainly wish him well as he his an outstanding football coach and a good person. He'll be a good football coach for somebody down the line.

Now the Powell administration can begin the task of looking for a new head football coach for the Panthers, a program that has gone 37-4 over the last 3 years and has made the finals in 2011 and semi-finals this past year. There should be no shortage of well qualified candidates.

Edited by HTV

I hate how this played out, but I certainly don't blame Derek for resigning. Who knows how much longer this ordeal was going to drag out. He deserves a fair opportunity to teach and coach at another school very soon.

And now Powell is hunting for yet another head coach. This will be an interesting search.

And now Powell is hunting for yet another head coach. This will be an interesting search.

Yep. If the hire can be made by the end of the school year it will be the third head coach in the last 16 months - for a program that is 37-4 in the last 3 years.

That just leaves me shaking my head wondering why?

This is a great opportunity for a coach to inherit a program that already has a solid staff in place, and has proved to be one that is going to be a good program year after year. There is no rebuilding needed as is the case for a lot of coaches with new jobs.

Knox County School Board dropped the ball on this. Lost a great coach but an even better person that just happen to make a mistake. Unbelieveable they let it get to this point. Good Luck to Coach Rang, I'm sure he will be fine!

Good point, and I want to add that the Administration at Powell High has caught some misguided flak over this situation. The bottom line is that the entire ordeal has been out of their hands since it started way back in early December. Their hands have been tied.

Rang won't stay out of work long. I say someone has picked him up in the next week or two. This move surprised me, I thought that they may give him a small reprimand, and he would be back, but it just kept lingering on.

Any chance that Lowe may back out of his agreement with wherever he went, Kings Academy, I think, to come back to Powell?

If I were Powell, I would make a call to Derek Hunt of Maryville high School and see if there was interest......he has connections to build a quality staff, if Powell has enough positions open teaching wise. My next call would be David Sweetland, who is currently at Alcoa.

Edited by jake

Any chance that Lowe may back out of his agreement with wherever he went, Kings Academy, I think, to come back to Powell?

Of course you never say never, but everything that Matt has said to me indicates that he is very happy with his decision to take the job at The King's Academy. It's been a good possibility for a while now that Rang probably wouldn't be returning to Powell, so if Matt were interested in returning to Powell right now he might have waited the situation out.

Matt has been given a very good opportunity at TKA, and TKA is making a huge financial commitment to upgrading its football program. Matt gives every indication that he is very excited about that new challenge.