Powell's HC Rang on admin leave...

Of course you never say never, but everything that Matt has said to me indicates that he is very happy with his decision to take the job at The King's Academy. It's been a good possibility for a while now that Rang probably wouldn't be returning to Powell, so if Matt were interested in returning to Powell right now he might have waited the situation out.

Matt has been given a very good opportunity at TKA, and TKA is making a huge financial commitment to upgrading its football program. Matt gives every indication that he is very excited about that new challenge.

Good info, HTV. Good luck to Powell in their search for a new coach.

I usually never post on these boards but felt compelled to based on this situation. I know Coach Rang and really feel like he got a raw deal. I've not talked to him recently but he figured he wouldn't have too many options with the county once this happened in Dec. From the outside, I thought he did a heckuva job this year with a team losing lots of starters of a state runner up team and with the high expectations of the job. It's gonna take a good coach to come to Powell and meet the standards the two previous coaches set (going 37 - 4). From my understanding, there is still some good pieces to work with over there. After the week 0 game with Fulton, the schedule is favorable but going to 6A for the playoffs will be a challenge. Anyone heard an rumors of who might apply. Any logical candidates on the staff or outside the staff? Gonna be an interesting hire...

I usually never post on these boards but felt compelled to based on this situation. I know Coach Rang and really feel like he got a raw deal. I've not talked to him recently but he figured he wouldn't have too many options with the county once this happened in Dec. From the outside, I thought he did a heckuva job this year with a team losing lots of starters of a state runner up team and with the high expectations of the job. It's gonna take a good coach to come to Powell and meet the standards the two previous coaches set (going 37 - 4). From my understanding, there is still some good pieces to work with over there. After the week 0 game with Fulton, the schedule is favorable but going to 6A for the playoffs will be a challenge. Anyone heard an rumors of who might apply. Any logical candidates on the staff or outside the staff? Gonna be an interesting hire...

With the success that the program has had the past few years, the job should generate a good number of quality applicants. There is a good bit of talent in the Powell zone, and the program seems to have become one of those that will continue to field quality teams.

Not going to name names, but there are probably at least 3 candidates on the current staff who from my observations are very qualified, and will most likely apply for the position.

As to whether or not Coach Rang got a raw deal, I've said all along that the way it has been dragged out was questionable, and again, it had nothing to do with the administration within the building. They did everything they could, which wasn't much since their hands were tied by superiors.

Coach Rang is a good person, a very good football coach, and a good teacher. He will bounce back from this. Somebody will be fortunate to have him on their staff and faculty.

I've spoken with two young people who have about the same experience in teaching that Mr. Rang has. One also coaches, the other does not, and both work in secondary education in Tennessee. Both told me that from reading what was printed in the newspaper they expected Mr. Rang to be terminated and both also said testing protocol (and the ramifications for not following it) is something that is well taught. I don't buy that he got a raw deal.

That being said this is a mistake that Mr. Rang should be able to overcome. We all make mistakes and I think the school that hires Mr. Rang will get a quality educator and coach.

Rang won't stay out of work long. I say someone has picked him up in the next week or two. This move surprised me, I thought that they may give him a small reprimand, and he would be back, but it just kept lingering on.

Any chance that Lowe may back out of his agreement with wherever he went, Kings Academy, I think, to come back to Powell?

If I were Powell, I would make a call to Derek Hunt of Maryville high School and see if there was interest......he has connections to build a quality staff, if Powell has enough positions open teaching wise. My next call would be David Sweetland, who is currently at Alcoa.

Was mark Pembertion applied for the job

Was mark Pembertion applied for the job

Are you asking if Pemberton has applied for the current Powell opening?

He was an applicant back when Larry Stephens was hired after the 2002 season. As of now, however, the application process is just starting. The position hasn't even been posted yet.