Spring Hill Coaching Job

jklivin

SH is 2nd fiddle to Columbia? Is that because they win games? Is the academics in the schools

2nd fiddle also?

Columbia Central has nothing to do with this - it wasn't too long ago that fans of Central were satisfied with 3-7 or worse seasons. The recent success by Central is great - shows what can be done with athletes and the proper coaching. Instead of folks arguing about who is 2nd fiddle for any reason, maybe, just maybe everyone should use Central as the example of what can be done when the school and district administration works with folks to accomplish things.

Those who think SH would pattern itself off as another Columbia Central lack the insight to both programs and schools. Central - lots of students and 5A classsification; SH - 900 students or less and 3A classification. When people think they have all the answers, they are just learning the questions.

If the superintendant really cares about kids, well there are lots who go to school at SH and they deserve the same chance to be successful athletically and academically as the students at Central. Reseach other school districts and ask why schools in the same region are successful? Why can't SH and Central both be successful? Anyoine who cares about HS extracurriculars wouod care about SH beign a success.

As far as having someone in mind - don't all principals/AD's have a short list of candidates to work form? The good ones do and I believe the princiapl at SH wants a successful football program. Look at their basketball and baseball programs - very successful! From my perspective, SH doesn't want to be another Central - different demographics - they do want a chance to build a competitive program.

Columbia is given many advantages over the other schools in the county. Right or wrong it happens. Some people say this is ok bc they are the biggest school. I know for fact they are given 3 more supplement positions than any other school in the county, and they were aloud to keep an in school athletic period while the other county schools were told they had to drop it. Again some may think this is the right way to do thing, idk, but a difference is definitely made.

Columbia Central has nothing to do with this - it wasn't too long ago that fans of Central were satisfied with 3-7 or worse seasons. The recent success by Central is great - shows what can be done with athletes and the proper coaching. Instead of folks arguing about who is 2nd fiddle for any reason, maybe, just maybe everyone should use Central as the example of what can be done when the school and district administration works with folks to accomplish things.

Those who think SH would pattern itself off as another Columbia Central lack the insight to both programs and schools. Central - lots of students and 5A classsification; SH - 900 students or less and 3A classification. When people think they have all the answers, they are just learning the questions.

I am sure Columbia has coaches working hard, but one thing that has helped Columbia is the T$$AA going to 6 classes. Bottom line! Period! First year after switch they go from whippng child of 5A in the old system to state championship game in 5A new system. Good luck to Spring Hill. I tried to get someone to respond to my resume, but I guess they have someone in mind.

I thought this a Spring Hill thread ? Every since Spring Hill has moved up into the upper divisions in football class, they have struggled. They moved up into 4A when there were 5 classes in the late 90's or early 2000's and have only had one winning football season (2010) and one .500 % season (2006). The numbers don't lie. There are probably several reasons: bad coaching (Bill Cox & Howard Stone), lately their league is tough, winning may not be a priority for their principal (when the principal is telling folks, " a 5-5 team would make me happy"), I'm not sure how good their staff/assistants is as well.

The Raiders had winning seasons under Cox and Stone until they moved up to 4A in 1999-2000 school year. Coach Stone just won a 5A state championship so I would not say he is why they lost in 2000. Cox left in 2001 and moved to Kentucky. I don't think coaching has been the only problem at SHHS. If memory serves me correct, several former assistant coaches and players from those Bill Cox years are now coaches. Some have district or region championships to their credit. Jason and Aaron Hoath is a coach in Mt. Pleasant and both coached on the Columbia Team that made two trips to the championship. Brown and Ackley have coached, Several other players are coaches too. I know at least three assistant coaches including Stone who are either head coaches today or have been head coaches and retired. Cox may not have been the greatest football coach in the world but his teams always made it to the playoffs except for his last two seasons.

I thought this a Spring Hill thread ? Every since Spring Hill has moved up into the upper divisions in football class, they have struggled. They moved up into 4A when there were 5 classes in the late 90's or early 2000's and have only had one winning football season (2010) and one .500 % season (2006). The numbers don't lie. There are probably several reasons: bad coaching (Bill Cox & Howard Stone), lately their league is tough, winning may not be a priority for their principal (when the principal is telling folks, " a 5-5 team would make me happy"), I'm not sure how good their staff/assistants is as well.

2009 football season was the last winning season not 2010. 8-2 Regular Season losing to the eventual 4A State Champs (Giles Co) and 5A State Runner up (Columbia Central).

I agree it started down hill in 1999 with that 1-9 season and hasn't really recovered since.

2009 football season was the last winning season not 2010. 8-2 Regular Season losing to the eventual 4A State Champs (Giles Co) and 5A State Runner up (Columbia Central).

I agree it started down hill in 1999 with that 1-9 season and hasn't really recovered since.

That record may be good enough for the principal but for the next coach it may not be. Should not be!

As for comparing SH to the Central program - it should not be compared. SH has its own demographics - a coaching staff o 7 - including the head coach is plenty. Schools with larger enrollments than SH shouidl get more coaches. Doesn't really matter fi that is the way the system works for central and SH - that is the way it should be. Nobody should be satisfied with 3 coaches - it takes more than that and the next coach should fight for more - and make the principal fight with him and for him. Stop comparing - whoever is the coahc has to funbciton with everythignh as it is and fin d ways to overcome the 'speed bumps'.

As for the individual who tendered his resume and didn't get a response - sometimes people get passed over - that doesn't mean you are not a good coach - it just means that thnis time around, they are looking for someone else. The nature of the beast. However, if they do have someone in mind, then they better fight for that p[erson to build the program that everyone wants - and that starts with coaches - qulified ones.

Callahan needs to hire "moe" grimes, they have about the same intelligent level. Or better still, get one of those Maury Co. parents, they always seem to know, and be able to tell someone how to coach.

As long as they get a quality coach to help their current and future players - that is the most important thing. The SH kids have been a very long time without a head coach to rally around. I am sure the asssistants are doing the best they can, but they all need a HC to give direction, discipline and love to all in the program. The principal will do a good job - he has to on this one.