Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

Guest Termite

Wreckon how many Team National members he recruited in Macon Co while he ate that free dinner. I'm sure Maynord learned from his buddy Pemberton how to sucker a Maconite or two dont you Termite? The more he acted interested in the Tigers the more Team National Members he was able to sucker. You gotta hand it to Maynord, he's pretty sharp. I'm sure Pemberton told Maynord it was as easy as taking candy from a baby. Except it was money from a tobacco farmer. I hear theres a way you can buy cheap tobacco sticks if you have a Team National card membership.

Daisy should call Maynord and join Team National ( unless he's already a member). If he's gonna wine and dine perspective coaches, the way MC goes through coaches up there......Team National could save him some dollars on all them steaks.

Daisy should call Maynord and join Team National ( unless he's already a member). If he's gonna wine and dine perspective coaches, the way MC goes through coaches up there......Team National could save him some dollars on all them steaks.

Sounds like Jimmy dropped some of that honey in your ear. I bet you couldn't get your check book out quick enough. Did you spit before or after you wrote it? :flower:

Finley from Cheatham County applied. He has a winning record over the last 11 years and is coming off of a season where his team reached the quarterfinal round of the playoffs. I think he would have been very happy to stay in Ashland City and coach elsewhere but he didn't get any looks from the two Metro schools he applied at. I think he would be a great choice for the Owls if he were given a chance.

Why is he throwing his name in the hat at every open job in the state? Is he wanting something new? I just wanna know why he wants to leave Cheatham so bad?

Guest Termite

Sounds like Jimmy dropped some of that honey in your ear. I bet you couldn't get your check book out quick enough. Did you spit before or after you wrote it? :flower:

Nope. Too broke to join. If you'd paid attention during your wining and dining of ole Jimmy, instead of setting all starry eyed you would know it takes money to join. Being awestruck by the presence of a good football coach in Macon County, even if he's just enjoying a free meal, must have had your head spinning and ears ringing.

Why is he throwing his name in the hat at every open job in the state? Is he wanting something new? I just wanna know why he wants to leave Cheatham so bad?

He has been there 15 years total and been head coach 11 years. Last fall was the school's best football season ever and the senior class was a very special group. I think that he is ready for a new challenge and would do well in Carthage. It's very similar to where he coaches at right now but the support is much greater.

He has been there 15 years total and been head coach 11 years. Last fall was the school's best football season ever and the senior class was a very special group. I think that he is ready for a new challenge and would do well in Carthage. It's very similar to where he coaches at right now but the support is much greater.

I completely understand that then.

I completely understand that then.

Might have something to do with all the seniors they are losing off this years team. He might think its time to get out while the getting is good. Many reasons revolve around descisions like this. He may have asked for a pay raise and they denied him. Money probably plays a bigger role in head coaching descisions than you think. Pemberton at Macon co a couple years ago just proved that though most teacher salaries are not negotiable except by their own association appointed person, a coaching position can be negotiated on an individual basis in some cases. They always say money talks and bullcrap walks. Maybe the money people are not talking at Cheatham so he's tired of the bullcrap and just going to start walking. Just a thought. What do some of you think that drives a coach to want to come or go from a highschool football program. I'd say there are many different reasons my self. Edited by Mr. Postman1

Might have something to do with all the seniors they are losing off this years team. He might think its time to get out while the getting is good. Many reasons revolve around descisions like this. He may have asked for a pay raise and they denied him. Money probably plays a bigger role in head coaching descisions than you think. Pemberton at Macon co a couple years ago just proved that though most teacher salaries are not negotiable except by their own association appointed person, a coaching position can be negotiated on an individual basis in some cases. They always say money talks and bullcrap walks. Maybe the money people are not talking at Cheatham so he's tired of the bullcrap and just going to start walking. Just a thought. What do some of you think that drives a coach to want to come or go from a highschool football program. I'd say there are many different reasons my self.

The pay coaches receive in Cheatham County is among the lowest in the state. The head coach makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,500-$6,000. There are only 2 supplements offered to assistant coaches. Each supplement is $1,500. The coaching staffs at the 3 high schools in our county are made up of "volunteers" who donate their time to the kids and don't receive any pay for their services. Most coaches with "teaching certifications" would much rather coach somewhere where they earn a good supplement for their work.

Despite this disadvantage Finley has always had good coaches around him. Mabe, Randolph, Patterson, the Jacksons, Dawson, Boyd, Chandler, Hatley, Puckett, Langley, Spatz, Frazier, and others have all been on board throughout Finley's tenure at CCCHS. I have always said I would like to see Finley land somewhere where he could bring in his staff and have them in place for several years.

i would think he had better look at what the head football supplement is at smith county. I would think the former coach would have been helped with his pay as a principal and i do not know who would be the ad......compare the money from cheatam county vs. smith county and you would find there is not much difference and certainly not a finanicial reason for moving

MONEY unfortunately is very important to a football program in so many ways today. The Salaries in each county differ, the larger the county, the larger the salary basically. If "base" salary plays a part in who we get as coach then we will get what we pay for. Our Booster Club WILL AND MUST need to step up to the plate to get the best option and fit. We talk about our Booster Club with such high praise and we need to support them in what they need to do. Do we want to get our football program to the next level? That is the question to ask. The new Coach must be a salesman to. He has to sell the program he will be coaching, not the one left by Coach Maynard. Wins and Losses is the name of the game in todays world. What have you done lately. With the size of our roster, Uniforms, reconditioning helmets or buying new ones and equipment will be expensive. Dollars at tight in this community. This is why we need to look at our schedule again and make economics a part of it. I have noticed as have others the past couple of seasons our home crowds getting smaller and that means less revenue. Hard to get excited about Warren County and they do not travel well either so that night alone could be considered a financial loss. We picked up Alcoa and Cookeville. Cookevill makes alot of sense because of location and now the Maynard factor. I have an issue with scheduling Alcoa. With it not being a Playoff game how will they travel? When we have to got up there next year, will the travel cost be too much? Do we really need to play Alcoa so we can stick our chests out and say we played them? Gate money and less travel costs are now the economics of the game. The Gordonsville game is so important to both schools. I know I just made some people mad but it is the truth. Smith County needs to get Trousdale and Westmoreland back on the schedule. Built in rivalries, shorter distances, good gates and less travel cost to go along with them both being very good competition. Just think, one season hosting Gordonsville and Westmoreland and the next hosting Trousdale and Macon to go along with other Region games. Just because we "play up" doesn't mean anything. We can have a competitive schedule that is also cost effective. We need to put our petty differences aside and encourage the next Coach to do this. I am also concerned about Politics running the program. Macon County has been burned by it and we could head that way if we keep our rose colored glasses on. OWL Pride is what we must have but show wisdom in the process.

Guest Termite

MONEY unfortunately is very important to a football program in so many ways today. The Salaries in each county differ, the larger the county, the larger the salary basically. If "base" salary plays a part in who we get as coach then we will get what we pay for. Our Booster Club WILL AND MUST need to step up to the plate to get the best option and fit. We talk about our Booster Club with such high praise and we need to support them in what they need to do. Do we want to get our football program to the next level? That is the question to ask. The new Coach must be a salesman to. He has to sell the program he will be coaching, not the one left by Coach Maynard. Wins and Losses is the name of the game in todays world. What have you done lately. With the size of our roster, Uniforms, reconditioning helmets or buying new ones and equipment will be expensive. Dollars at tight in this community. This is why we need to look at our schedule again and make economics a part of it. I have noticed as have others the past couple of seasons our home crowds getting smaller and that means less revenue. Hard to get excited about Warren County and they do not travel well either so that night alone could be considered a financial loss. We picked up Alcoa and Cookeville. Cookevill makes alot of sense because of location and now the Maynard factor. I have an issue with scheduling Alcoa. With it not being a Playoff game how will they travel? When we have to got up there next year, will the travel cost be too much? Do we really need to play Alcoa so we can stick our chests out and say we played them? Gate money and less travel costs are now the economics of the game. The Gordonsville game is so important to both schools. I know I just made some people mad but it is the truth. Smith County needs to get Trousdale and Westmoreland back on the schedule. Built in rivalries, shorter distances, good gates and less travel cost to go along with them both being very good competition. Just think, one season hosting Gordonsville and Westmoreland and the next hosting Trousdale and Macon to go along with other Region games. Just because we "play up" doesn't mean anything. We can have a competitive schedule that is also cost effective. We need to put our petty differences aside and encourage the next Coach to do this. I am also concerned about Politics running the program. Macon County has been burned by it and we could head that way if we keep our rose colored glasses on. OWL Pride is what we must have but show wisdom in the process.

Easy Big guy. The booster club has never ( to my knowledge or ever heard of) supplemented the coaching salary. I don't know if the practice facility is paid for yet. That needs to happen/and will happen before anything else. Was you at the game the last time Whinemoreland played at SC. Heck, they all came in 1 car. Hartsville, probably not going to happen. The crowds come when both programs are competing. Some teams only travel well when they compete. Look at CC and DC.....playing well = travel well. With Alcoa, not only do you get their supporters, you get OTHERS that want to see Alcoa play. They don't make it to this area very often. When we go up there?? Cost of travel too much for who?? Hurting the crowd for Alcoa's gate? That's not a big concern for me. I don't think travel cost is an issue. Will the money not spent on travel, by the supporters be put in the program? Paying $ 35.00 going to Alcoa or paying $5.00 going to TC. Are you saying you'll put the $30.00 difference to the program? I answer for you, NO you won't. The Booster clubs run the concession stands. It's my understanding the boosters get all the lower and 1/2 the upper, with the school getting the other half. I think they make enough money to buy the gas to get the busses to Alcoa and back. I would like to know about any "politics" your concerned about. The only politics I have heard about is the principle and AD making recommendations to the DOS for a new coach. Your kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth ( to me anyway). First you say "Booster club will and must step up to the plate" then make a comment on" politics". Booster club politics IS what "burned MC".