Open school zones

BKisler

Can some one explain to me how did open school zones come about and what the puropose is of having them ?

It was always my understanding that a public school had a certain zone and those that lived in that zone attended that school. Growing up in KY; the only schools that did not have a zone were private schools.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can some one explain to me how did open school zones come about and what the puropose is of having them ?

It was always my understanding that a public school had a certain zone and those that lived in that zone attended that school. Growing up in KY; the only schools that did not have a zone were private schools.

On a serious note, I have no idea how it got started. I would bet it had something to do with some classes or such being offered at one school and not another. Like most things it probably started with good intentions and has been manipulated into what it is today. One thing for sure in Blount County, we and our friends at Alcoa have benefitted greatly for years.

On a serious note, I have no idea how it got started. I would bet it had something to do with some classes or such being offered at one school and not another. Like most things it probably started with good intentions and has been manipulated into what it is today. One thing for sure in Blount County, we and our friends at Alcoa have benefitted greatly for years.

Reb, i appreciate your reply. I am not trying to stir anything up; but trying to learn. I did not know there were open zones until last year. I had lived in Mt Juliet for years then heard about them and didn't understand why or how they came about. From the responses; it looks like this topic is taboo to talk about. HA !

Reb, i appreciate your reply. I am not trying to stir anything up; but trying to learn. I did not know there were open zones until last year. I had lived in Mt Juliet for years then heard about them and didn't understand why or how they came about. From the responses; it looks like this topic is taboo to talk about. HA !

Originally the purpose for open zone schools fell into several categories. Those were (1)special classes or programs that were only available at that school, (2)Special Education schools, (3)ELL programs, or 4)honors/AP/IB/Magnet programs. These programs, by law, all have to be open to every kid in the district because school districts have the choice by law to offer these as options either in EVERY school or specific schools within the district made available to those who require the services.

All of this got twisted into a greaat way to get talented athletes into the building. Now kids who are exceptional athletically can be qualified as special ed through learning disabilities. Kids who speak multiple languages can be qualified as ELL. Kids can claim they want to be a rapper or TV star can go to media schools. Kids who are gifted academically can be qualified for certain academic programs. All of this leads to building quality athletic programs in addition to the academics.

On a serious note, I have no idea how it got started. I would bet it had something to do with some classes or such being offered at one school and not another. Like most things it probably started with good intentions and has been manipulated into what it is today. One thing for sure in Blount County, WE ( WILLIAM BLOUNT ) and our friends at Alcoa have benefitted greatly for years.

PHIXED

Not sure if it has changed but Sumner County had an out of county tuition fee a few years ago. It didn't matter what county you lived in, as long as you could provide transportation and $2,500 you could attend any Sumner County School. Beech had quite a few student/athletes from the Metro area do this. I think Sumner County might have put a stop to this.

If you are a Sumner County resident you can go to any school within Sumner County free of charge as long as you provide your own transportation, provided the Director of Schools, the principal at your zoned school and the principal at your desired school all sign off. I think they are cutting down on this as well.