state tourney needs revamping

topper06

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That would basically eliminate at least one substate game. Which do substate games not jump from $5 to $7 a game? I'm pretty sure TSSAA will get its share of that cut. I see kinda what you are saying but I enjoy it the way it is. It does make it competitive and gives some other schools a shot at actually going to state. Like Watertown this year, and CRange. They lost the Championship but still have an outside chance. I hate the drive to Chattanooga but its worth it to me.

The only change that needs to be made is in district tournaments.

Take the top 3 finishers....make that 3rd place game mean something, so that there is less "jockeying" for position for the region tournament. region 2 vs 3 matchups and the #1 are in region semis.

Makes the district championship mean something, gives them a bye, and the consolation mean something, season ending game for someone.

I like the region championship loser going somewhere else, but i think maybe that should rotate some how...some years region 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4, and 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, etc Keep 1-4 on one side and 5 vs 8 on the other and rotate thru every 3 years....

2 best teams are sometimes in the same region, and when those teams meet again in the state finals....it is a huge deal for those communities, building FOREVER Rivalries!

Edited by ParisRiverRat

i have studied the florida model. of course that is a much larger state with 8 classes. they only take district champs and runnerups.this eliminates teams that really do not deserve to be there and eliminates 1st round byes which i personally hate. state playoffs consist of a field of 32 in each class....quarters,semis,elite 8 the final 4. much like the ncaa. only thing i dont like about it is the same arguement many have stated on here. all games are played at a home school location. the final 4 is the only stage of the tourney that is played at a neutral site. you are allowed only 1 loss and that is in the district finals.

Edited by topper06

no more final 8. make it a final 4 tourney. no losses in the regions allowed.

Why take the experiance away from half the kids?I think eight teams isn't too many to play out in one weekend,and that would have eliminated the champs in 1A girls last season who definatly proved that they deserved to be there.Your model also eliminates sub-state games,where some intense rivalries exist,and is a big boost for the communities that host...if it ain't broke,don't fix it!

In my opinion looking at your post on the Florida model it would be a shame to use it in TN. I will use district 14-A for example only taking District Champ and Runner-up is going to leave usually a VERY good team not playing playoff basketball. With Lake Co., Union City and Humboldt all in same district it would reward a weaker district. For example most years District 14-A sweeps out District 13-A in the region, happened this year again. Wy reward the District Champ of a weaker district and leave a better team at home because of their location? Also Lake Co. was the 7th seed in the district and the 4th seed in the district tourney but now will play Monday for a chance to be in the state tourney. Would not have had an opportunity in that plan.

I like it the way it is. In the end it usually balances out. Every now in them some body creeps gets hot and creeps in. I think it also helps balance out the districts. It would be a shame to let only the top 2 teams in when they play in a tuff district and allow 2 other teams in in a week district.