Best Coaches ?

thegame523

The hire at BA got me to thinking about the better coaches in Tn. Hubie & Ricky obviously are both outstanding. I would like to hear others or your opinions. I don't want to hear about recruiting or anyone could win with this or that. How well does a coach do with what he or she has, whether it is great talent (should win big) or not that much (still win & compete, but not at a super high level). Have seen and been impressed with quite a few coaches in Tn., but would love to hear others opinions. I coach in Fl. by the way, so not that familiar except for the few I have seen.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennis King at Brentwood has ALWAYS won, regardless of talent level. Just look at how Brentwood dropped off when he first got out. He comes back and goes to the state. Not a coincidence.

Troy Bond at Wilson Central. Consistent winner.

Troy Allen at Mt. Juliet. Always competitive.

Adam Sonn now at Goodpasture has done well in a short time.

Knoxville Coaches

Blevins - Bearden

Wright - Fulton

Hutchens - Catholic

Ogan - Powell

Wells - CAK

Surrounding Knoxville

Eldridge - Maryville

Wallace - AC

Lockard - Clinton

Jessie - Seymour

Wright - Sevier Co

There are a lot of great coaches I failed to mention. I feel these guys get a lot out of the players, and they all seem to really study the game of basketball.

Knoxville Coaches

Blevins - Bearden

Wright - Fulton

Hutchens - Catholic

Ogan - Powell

Wells - CAK

Surrounding Knoxville

Eldridge - Maryville

Wallace - AC

Lockard - Clinton

Jessie - Seymour

Wright - Sevier Co

There are a lot of great coaches I failed to mention. I feel these guys get a lot out of the players, and they all seem to really study the game of basketball.

Wow no bias opinion here. You mention Wallace and Lockard, but leave green off? Green won more district games last year than AC and Clinton have won the last 3 years combined. AC is 2-30 the last two seasons alone. Ok coaches but lately they've been out coached a lot. Especially at AC, we've had better talent than 2 wins in the pst two seasons don't you think? And we only won 5, Torress senior year, and we had some players then.

Wow no bias opinion here. You mention Wallace and Lockard, but leave green off? Green won more district games last year than AC and Clinton have won the last 3 years combined. AC is 2-30 the last two seasons alone. Ok coaches but lately they've been out coached a lot. Especially at AC, we've had better talent than 2 wins in the pst two seasons don't you think? And we only won 5, Torress senior year, and we had some players then.

I agree with you Green is a great coach and probably deserves a mention. I just want to see what he can do when he doesn't have the best talent around ( which wont be anytime soon :rolleyes: ) and when he has been there a few more years. I have spent enough time with Wallace and these other coaches at clinics, camps, and games. He is an unbelievable student of the game. The past year was a lack of talent. The year before he had a cancer on the team, and lost a lot of kids physically and mentally from that cancer. Lockard can flat out coach and get the most of his players. This past year they shouldn't of won a game with the talent that he had, but yet he gave almost every team fits even though the record didn't show that. Again, I have failed to mention a lot of great coaches. I feel coaches in the Knoxville Area are about as strong as they have ever been. I see the teams out west, and just wonder what these great coaches around here could do with that talent.

Out West you can throw these names in the hat with anyone in the state...Coach Williams( stepped down from Liberty Tech), Coach Rudisill( Bolivar), and despite this years drama Coach Henning( Memphis Ridgeway). I'll put those three up against anybody...

I agree with you Green is a great coach and probably deserves a mention. I just want to see what he can do when he doesn't have the best talent around ( which wont be anytime soon :rolleyes: ) and when he has been there a few more years. I have spent enough time with Wallace and these other coaches at clinics, camps, and games. He is an unbelievable student of the game. The past year was a lack of talent. The year before he had a cancer on the team, and lost a lot of kids physically and mentally from that cancer. Lockard can flat out coach and get the most of his players. This past year they shouldn't of won a game with the talent that he had, but yet he gave almost every team fits even though the record didn't show that. Again, I have failed to mention a lot of great coaches. I feel coaches in the Knoxville Area are about as strong as they have ever been. I see the teams out west, and just wonder what these great coaches around here could do with that talent.

Green is not a "great" coach...he is a very good hs coach...please reserve the great term for Wooden,Knight,Coach K,etc.

Edited by topper06

Green is not a "great" coach...he is a very good hs coach...please reserve the great term for Wooden,Knight,Coach K,etc.

Well, we're talking high school here, and as HS coaches go, Green would have to be considered a great coach, compared to the list nix put out. I mean right now I'd take him over 5 or 6 of the ten coaches he has listed. Say what you want, and everybody that follows 3AAA knows how I feel about OR, he is doing a great job there. I used to think his whining was over the top, but I think it's more pure passion than whining.

I maybe a little of a homer but I would have to say Coach Dawn Barger at Lake Co. is one of the top coaches in the state. In 3 years as a head coach she has made 3 straight state tournament appearances winning the Class A title in 2011 and finishing runner-up in 2013. Made it to the final four in her second appearance upsetting No. 1 Booker T. Washington along the way. She has a 6-2 record in the state tournament with 3 sub-state wins, 2 Region titles and 2 District 14-A titles. Not a bad record as a head coach.

CC, do you not think that most of the coaches in the area could do pretty well year in year out with the talent at Oak Ridge?

Yes. I do think most coaches would do pretty well with the OR talent. But could they get that talent to state? Thats another question. I have found that sometimes its harder to win when your loaded than when your talent is down. Im just saying that if any of the Guys Nix listed are considered GREAT, Green has to be in the talk.