9-AAA Prediction time

SCBisondad

Had someone point out this thread to me.  Interesting reading.  So interesting that I created an account to correct the misinformation you guys are throwing around. No misinformation from me and invite them to create an account too.

First of all, if you have been around Sumner County long you should know that this county builds its school sizes based on what they believe is best for academics, not athletics.  If you read my earlier post, you would know this is not the issue. Does a smaller school equal a better education, not sure, but that's why Sumner schools are smaller. I heard this one. Still not the answer in it's entirety and more of an opinion by some than the reason. Then Westmoreland is the best academic school in the county. In most counties its' the school bus department that dictates attendance zones ie: what is the most efficient route for transportation?  I bet if you check with Sumner County, you'll find this to be true. Not the entire case. Think, who is over the school bus department? Buses can be rerouted and more efficient. The only issue may be changing a few school start times. Are we saying the bus department is so inefficient that the most efficient way to arrive at SCHS is to drive 0.9 to GHS and less than 3 miles to HHS and BHS? Convince me.

I agree, the people of Gallatin want nothing to do with SC because it's not GHS.  The people down in Hendersonville want nothing to do with SC because "it's in Gallatin".  That's what makes raising money for SC so hard.  The business community wants nothing to do with the school. How is that fair to the kids at SC who simply want to have a good school supported by the community? No more growing pains from what I see and plenty of families that have resources, supporting and a growing alumni. I see plenty of businesses advertising at the school and community support continues to grow.

Now on to athletics.  I am a Bison Dad and huge football fan. (Best statement you say) As a Bison supporter, I know quite a bit about the fieldhouse we are raising money to build.  First of all, it was supposed to have been built when the school opened but the county cut the funding, so now 12 years later we are trying to get it built. Fieldhouses are typically QB club projects and/or monies raised.

I'm not sure where any of you got a $2 million dollar number for the SC field house, but you're off by $1.75 million.  GWAVE1 mentioned this. I do not know the actual cost and cost will fluctuate until it is completed. This summer the county approved $250,000 to go toward the construction of a field house at SC.  At the same time, they approved $250,000 for Merrol Hyde's soccer complex and $250,000 for a baseball building in Westmoreland.  The money provided to SC will build an empty building (four walls and a roof).  The parents are raising the money to build out the inside. As it should be.  

I still have a copy of the presentation that was done on the SC field house about a year or so ago. When you say that you don't like your tax dollars going to SC (I am fine with my money going to SC for academics and to a certain degree for athletics. I do not agree with the fieldhouse monies) and every school's administration should also ask for $2 million, you should know actual facts before making such statements.  I already knew the facts below. You combined two different posts here and misconstrued them for your point. Prior to these three projects funded this summer, tax dollars spent on athletic improvements since 2008:  Merrol Hyde $4.6 million (new gym, soccer); Beech $603,000 (softball fieldhouse, gym bleachers, new football lights); Gallatin $301,000 (football stadium upgrades); Portland $265,000 (football bleachers, practice field); HHS $238,000 (new track, roof on weight bldg, loan forgiveness); Station Camp $90,000 (soccer lights); Westmoreland $53,000 (football fencing, practice field); KDDC $41,000 (practice field).  If anyone should be asking for more money it should be SC and Westmoreland. I also do not agree entirely with those disbursements as well. Some of it is frivolous and not evenly balanced if we seek equality amongst schools. Futhermore, this was a domino effect as school by school jumped on the bandwagon to have monies approved when other schools were sure to be approved. Even if I did agree with disbursements and only considered SC, Westmoreland and Gallatin. then lets look at the numbers. SC $90,000 + $250,000 = $340,000; Westmoreland $53,000 + $250,000 = $303,000 and Gallatin $301,000. Seems Westmoreland and Gallatin need the difference made up as well as HHS $238,000 and Portland $265,000. Concerning Gallatin's Stadium, a great chunk of that money was used for safety purposes on home side bleachers as it could not be used until repairs were made and on the verge of being condemned. This stadium has been in use since 1916 and build by the railroad companies by monies from the city of Gallatin. This stadium is not on the current high school campus and is used not by just the high school or middle schools but also by youth leagues that has included Station Camp area teams on multiple occasions. You compare apples to oranges. A football fieldhouse is not the same necessity or I could just say Gallatin just wants "a good school supported by the community". 

So, in short, your only correction is not of misinformation and is that although $2 million was requested only $250,000 was finally approved. This does not change the fact others could ask for money for upgrades needed and site Station Camp's gift as in the presentation you have.

If any of you are interested in donating to the SC fieldhouse, you can find more info here: http://www.stationcampfootball.com/News___Announcements.html.  I am not.

And for anyone saying that the Bison supporters are not, and have not been, raising money for this field house, you need to watch this video from the 2011 season in its entirety: http://youtu.be/8Q2eVug7zZI.  If you continue to say Bison fans aren't committed to this project, shame on you. Bison fans are committed. I do remember this difficult yet wonderful story. Good luck in your endeavors.

Edited by TheRealTruth

Thank you for joining the conversation. However, to correct you, the first proposal a few years back was for $2 million. What was originally asked for and what they got are indeed different. What I said was more tongue and cheek. The Gallatin QB Club has and will raise most of their funds. I believe the number you quoted for stadium upgrades for Gallatin was due in large part for a safety concern stemming from a few years back when a girl fell through the bleachers on the home side. ( why did you start your figures with 2008??).

Long, I have been told, also pushed this agenda for SC forward and even got bids before he had permission too. Neither here nor there but interesting since his interest is far from neutral.

I will find out about the school size reasons. I am probably sure you are right. However, Hendersonville folk pushed for the new school. They also had proposals for other small high schools around Gallatin.

Please stay and continue the debate.

I sat in these school board meetings and Long was publicly reprimanded for doing so.

Edited by TheRealTruth

Mostly informal talks, no concrete plans finalized. The problem is geographically mapping lines to better define Station Camp's community yet balancing out the socioeconomic status amongst schools. 

Station Camp's current zone spreads to the backdoor of 3 schools: 0.9 miles from Gallatin and less than 3 miles from Beech and Hendersonville High Schools. Also, look at how many zones one school boarders: SCHS - 5; PHS - 4; WHHS - 3; BHS - 3; GHS - 3; HHS - 2; WHS - 2

http://trans1.sumnerschools.org/HighSchoolZoneMaps/schzone.pdf

Personally, I do not like the way SCS and the County Commissioners have handled the strategic planning of our schools much less their construction. Sumner County high schools do not allow for growth. By state law, a school has to be built for the current population, not projected growth. Station Camp is a prime example as it is a middle school design that had to have portables almost immediately when it was built and additions within 10 years of being built. It is silly to hear talks of another new high school when the county spends minimal to maintain what we have. Too many schools holding 1,000 - 1,500 students versus less schools holding 1,500 - 2,000 students. Look at the numbers (no privates): 

Sumner County:

Population 166,123 (8 high schools)

2-6A; 3-5A; 1-4A; 1-3A & 1 Magnet School

Wilson County: (4 high schools)

Population 118,961

3-6A; 1-2A

Rutherford County:

Population 274,454 (9 high schools - 1 new in 2013)

7-6A; 1-2A & 1 Magnet School 

Does this affect athletics in Sumner County? Sure. Now debate.

ThunderingHerd, notice, I did not mention built for athletics nor academics. It is built for the current population it is to serve. Just wanted to clear up any misinformation. I will be awaiting your rebuttal from page 113 as well.

Edited by TheRealTruth

The money provided to SC will build an empty building (four walls and a roof).  The parents are raising the money to build out the inside.

Is the weight room and trainer room mentioned on the website going to be easily accessible to all student athletes as it is on the opposite site of the field from the school or are the existing rooms in the school going to remain functional as well?

You were misinformed, however, plans are in the works. I am fine with Station Camp's presence. This is not just a Gallatin and Station Camp issue, this is a Sumner County issue. Coming from this Gallatin person, I am not fine with zoning and how "moved into your territory" has more than crossed lines regardless of where the door is.

The statement (SC's presence) was in response to GWAVE1 and not to you. He has voiced/complained whatever you want to call it for years now about SC taking away from GHS. I'm not at all concerned if you think I crossed the line or not with my statement. You have your opinion and I have mine and i'm more than OK with it. Have a good day.

By both schools, I was saying Wilson Central and Mt. Juliet not that SC had 1800+. Wilson Central has 1800+ most years. Glad to have you for the conversation.

Got it.  The real challenge for SC and HHS will be competing continually in the crazy playoff system TSSAA has in place.  HHS made to the final this year, but seemed inconsistent in their play.  When you look at schools like Blackman (2400 students), Oakland (2000), Riverdale (2000), etc, logic tells you that those larger schools should have more athletes to choose from within their student body.  Maryville with 14 championships has just under 1800 (Jr and High School).  The biggest challenge that 9AAA has is that we're a lot like the SEC, a very strong district and we "beat" each other up in the regular season that affects seeding in the playoffs.  

Not upset with anyone, just think statements need to be accurate.  

I sat in these school board meetings and Long was publicly reprimanded for doing so.

Long was not publicly reprimanded.  His factual presentation got under the skin of a board member who is all about Beech and no other school.  Following that meeting, she got into a 2-3 day "reprimand" email exchange with one of our players who emailed her in support of the project.  She got so enraged that she called the principal and tried to get him suspended.  Kid is very bright, straight A student.  His parents said she was mostly frustrated because he was smarter than she was.  Long did his job, represented those in his district and at the request of the parents at the school.  

You sir, are correct.

Incorrect.  The original bids, solicited by the construction department of the school system, was $800,000 for SC, $816,000 for Merrol Hyde, and $400,000 for Westmoreland.  Your inference that $2 million was for SC is entirely incorrect.

In reality, every school should have safe, clean, and equal facilities.  Look at the Rutherford County or Wilson County schools to see the difference. 

GHS absolutely needs new restrooms.  They also need new concessions.  The parking lot needs to be paved, etc.  HHS has done a great job upgrading their facilities.  Portland has also.  When it's all said and done, every kid and every fan should have a place they can be proud of, and not put in a situation where they're forced to compete for community support when they share communities.  The only competition should be on the field or court. Unfortunately, the Sumner County Commission won't provide the funds to provide these things. 

The statement (SC's presence) was in response to GWAVE1 and not to you. He has voiced/complained whatever you want to call it for years now about SC taking away from GHS. I'm not at all concerned if you think I crossed the line or not with my statement. You have your opinion and I have mine and i'm more than OK with it. Have a good day.

I don't think anyone crossed the line.  Just trying to keep accurate info out there.  I think Sumner County is blessed with our schools, academically and athletically.  Look at what our schools collectively accomplish.  Recent championships in football, golf, bowling, soccer, track ... we are a force to be reckoned with by other parts of the state.  

I'm certain a lot of the old school GHS people long for the days of dominance.  Problem is Sumner County today is different from the Sumner County in the 70's.