9-AAA Prediction time

SCBisondad

I guess we all need to say that the success of the team depends on how may d-1 players they produce.  I forgot that the more you have is the extent to how well your program is.  C'MON MAN!!!! 

With the exception of last year, MJ for the past 7 or 8 years has been the best it ever has been in the history of the school.  If the player is good enough to play at a d-1 school they will find him.  A lot of times it is by word of mouth.  An example would be when Hurd was getting recruited by Tennessee, the coaching staff at Beech would help Tennessee out by telling them if there were anymore prospects that could play for their school.  Your son gets recognized by what they do for the team they are currently on, going to college camps (not necessarily the combine things where joe blow is getting $100,000), coaches recommendation, and by the player taking the initiative to get recruited (ACT, grades, character, films, applications, etc.) 

Other than last year I was able to make it to almost every MJ game.  I saw some really good player come through the system.  The thing you have to keep in mind is they best players in the COUNTRY not county go on to play high level college football.  I always keep that in mind when watching games because I to have wondered why so and so only got recruited to play at a NAIA school or D2 school.  Sometimes parents and fans forget that point as well as the point that the coach does not take the ACT for the players so if they score a 12 or 13 d-1 is out. 

• Upvote 1

3 Of the players at Cumberland has been kicked off for failing drug test and not going to class. I just know year in and out for bears seems like they have a good team but yet no one goes d1 or no one pans out. Reed has done a great job. Have watched him play a couple times. But who else?

Unless you are the AD or football coach at Cumberland, you are not privy to such information and discussion of such propaganda is simply disrespectful to Cumberland University, Mt. Juliet High School and to the people that support those programs. If you wish to demean a program, others will see that only as a lack of pride.  

I guess we all need to say that the success of the team depends on how may d-1 players they produce.  I forgot that the more you have is the extent to how well your program is.  C'MON MAN!!!! 

With the exception of last year, MJ for the past 7 or 8 years has been the best it ever has been in the history of the school.  If the player is good enough to play at a d-1 school they will find him.  A lot of times it is by word of mouth.  An example would be when Hurd was getting recruited by Tennessee, the coaching staff at Beech would help Tennessee out by telling them if there were anymore prospects that could play for their school.  Your son gets recognized by what they do for the team they are currently on, going to college camps (not necessarily the combine things where joe blow is getting $100,000), coaches recommendation, and by the player taking the initiative to get recruited (ACT, grades, character, films, applications, etc.) 

Other than last year I was able to make it to almost every MJ game.  I saw some really good player come through the system.  The thing you have to keep in mind is they best players in the COUNTRY not county go on to play high level college football.  I always keep that in mind when watching games because I to have wondered why so and so only got recruited to play at a NAIA school or D2 school.  Sometimes parents and fans forget that point as well as the point that the coach does not take the ACT for the players so if they score a 12 or 13 d-1 is out. 

Well said! It is not about just being D1, it's about playing the game you love as long as the opportunity presents itself. Good luck to all 9AAA athletes hoping to continue their career.

I believe the big TE Khoury from MJ signed with Tusculum. Pretty impressive that MJ goes to the semi's 2 straight years with not a lot of d1's on the roster. You take away Hurd and Malone and it shows 9-AAA for what it is, a team oriented district that has had a lot of success lately in the playoffs (Beech won the state before Hurd, Hville with 2 finals in the last 4 years, MJ 2 straight semi's) There a lot of excellent coaching staffs in the district that get the max out of their talent. Other than Portland who is rebuilding there will be no easy Friday nights next fall. As far as Hville goes we are a work in progress. A lot of potential but a lot of unanswered questions. In the last 3 or 4 years every team in the district has had a down year so anything is possible.

Mondo, I couldn't agree more about the quality of coaching and the team ball that is played in 9AAA. I think this may be the strongest season yet for 9AAA.

Well said! It is not about just being D1, it's about playing the game you love as long as the opportunity presents itself. Good luck to all 9AAA athletes hoping to continue their career.

I agree. if a young man can get his education paid for and play the game he loves; more power to him. So very few get D1 scholarships and it is not about being D1, D2 or NAIA. As Realtruth said ; it is about playing the game you love as long as you can.

Unless you are the AD or football coach at Cumberland, you are not privy to such information and discussion of such propaganda is simply disrespectful to Cumberland University, Mt. Juliet High School and to the people that support those programs. If you wish to demean a program, others will see that only as a lack of pride.  

I graduated from there in 89, my daughter graduates there in May. Not to mention being a biology tutor.....it was no secret and well known around the school about the players being tested and kicked, kids talk. CU is not that big where something like this can be hidden. Everyone knows, everyone. This policy, as an alumni, and presently paying my kids tuition. I fully support it. I dont see it as demeaning to CU at all. 

I graduated from there in 89, my daughter graduates there in May. Not to mention being a biology tutor.....it was no secret and well known around the school about the players being tested and kicked, kids talk. CU is not that big where something like this can be hidden. Everyone knows, everyone. This policy, as an alumni, and presently paying my kids tuition. I fully support it. I dont see it as demeaning to CU at all. 

Southernfried, I think you missed the point of my statement in regards to WCP. Please go back and reread the posts leading to my statement. First, know that I, too, support testing. Second,  drug testing at Cumberland is routine and while kids may talk, they are not privy to results. Speculation will happen regardless and rumors around small campuses are frequent regardless of truth. Lastly, being kicked off immediately is not policy. The poster's purpose was to demean, maybe not Cumberland specifically so I could have eased my chose of wording.      

Southernfried, I think you missed the point of my statement in regards to WCP. Please go back and reread the posts leading to my statement. First, know that I, too, support testing. Second,  drug testing at Cumberland is routine and while kids may talk, they are not privy to results. Speculation will happen regardless and rumors around small campuses are frequent regardless of truth. Lastly, being kicked off immediately is not policy. The poster's purpose was to demean, maybe not Cumberland specifically so I could have eased my chose of wording.      

I agree with TheRealTruth. WCP has a few issues with MJ and some of the coaching staff. You can look back at the posts from the past year. He was not trying to demean Cumberland but the former MJ players and the Bear football program.

Got a question,

Why does mj never send kids to college?

Does their coaches not recruit?

Ie contrez is working a local Kroger, and 2 players have been kicked off at a local college.

You look at other schools around the district and they send atleast 1 to d1. Just curious

I usually view without comment, but this is so far off base that I'll bite here to help inform you of MJ's situation in regards to college football players (current, at least), because like BKisler, I am close enough to the program to make informed comments. 1) Regarding Contrez, he is working hard at Garden City (the same Garden City that just sent Nick Marshall to Auburn). Did you know, WCP, that a coach actually drove him the 16 hours to campus? 2) Regarding players overall, and I hate doing this because I am not privy enough to know all of them & their current situation, but Murphy Fair had 16 players listed last year as current college players, the most in 9AAA. You have Brady E finishing up at Army, Ryan Jenkins as a preferred walk-on trying to earn the job at Clemson (academic full ride), Josh Belhu and Brett Dillard (who started as a freshman) at Tech, Matt Stewart at UT Martin, Vaughn Cornelia at Savannah State (legal matters pending), Joe McMahon at UTC, Reed Gurchiek, Tyler Emmetts, Austin Chaplin, Cody Carr, Michael and George Nwokoji, Hunter Locke, Brady Eady, Caleb Hopkins, Chris Bazile, and possibly others at Cumberland, Michael Khoury at Tusculum, Courtland Douglas at KY Christian, Robert Hill at Campbellsville, and a few others that may sign with an NAIA school soon I was told. Not to mention that both Slade Adams, Taylor Cisneros, and Antwaun Majors were all OVC performers who recently graduated. I am sure I left some out, but I think 8 at the FBS/FCS level in the last few years, and over 20 overall, compared to plenty of other places is fairly decent. I hope you are a little more enlightened and in the future, would suggest asking a person connected to the program instead of a disgruntled teenager that is under the impression that you can sit on your thumbs & get a full ride to an SEC program, and if that doesn't happen, then it is coaches' fault. MJ coaches work their tails off for the kids that work their tails off for them. I wouldn't lose any more sleep over that one.

Edited by pressman

I usually view without comment, but this is so far off base that I'll bite here to help inform you of MJ's situation in regards to college football players (current, at least), because like BKisler, I am close enough to the program to make informed comments. 1) Regarding Contrez, he is working hard at Garden City (the same Garden City that just sent Nick Marshall to Auburn). Did you know, WCP, that a coach actually drove him the 16 hours to campus? 2) Regarding players overall, and I hate doing this because I am not privy enough to know all of them & their current situation, but Murphy Fair had 16 players listed last year as current college players, the most in 9AAA. You have Brady E finishing up at Army, Ryan Jenkins as a preferred walk-on trying to earn the job at Clemson (academic full ride), Josh Belhu and Brett Dillard (who started as a freshman) at Tech, Matt Stewart at UT Martin, Vaughn Cornelia at Savannah State (legal matters pending), Joe McMahon at UTC, Reed Gurchiek, Tyler Emmetts, Austin Chaplin, Cody Carr, Michael and George Nwokoji, Hunter Locke, Brady Eady, Caleb Hopkins, Chris Bazile, and possibly others at Cumberland, Michael Khoury at Tusculum, Courtland Douglas at KY Christian, Robert Hill at Campbellsville, and a few others that may sign with an NAIA school soon I was told. Not to mention that both Slade Adams, Taylor Cisneros, and Antwaun Majors were all OVC performers who recently graduated. I am sure I left some out, but I think 8 at the FBS/FCS level in the last few years, and over 20 overall, compared to plenty of other places is fairly decent. I hope you are a little more enlightened and in the future, would suggest asking a person connected to the program instead of a disgruntled teenager that is under the impression that you can sit on your thumbs & get a full ride to an SEC program, and if that doesn't happen, then it is coaches' fault. MJ coaches work their tails off for the kids that work their tails off for them. I wouldn't lose any more sleep over that one.

That's a pretty thorough answer and it sounds to me that MJ is doing a fine job for their players.

LOL guess I will show how naive I am, I didnt think anyone was trying to demean MJ or CU. I thought we were talking about kids that made mistakes? Guess my reading comprehension is way off. LOL I was just trying to state I fully support my former school IF that is their protocol when someone fails a drug test.....Interpretation is severely handcuffed on the internet...No harm no foul.....carry on lol     

LOL guess I will show how naive I am, I didnt think anyone was trying to demean MJ or CU. I thought we were talking about kids that made mistakes? Guess my reading comprehension is way off. LOL I was just trying to state I fully support my former school IF that is their protocol when someone fails a drug test.....Interpretation is severely handcuffed on the internet...No harm no foul.....carry on lol     

I respect you for sure and the meaning of a written post or text can be misinterpreted at times. Kids failing a drug test whether that is true of not was not the focal point in what WCP agenda was. Whether worded demean, degrade, put down, lower, that was the purpose of the questioning.  Maybe I am not the one that should have made the rebuttal as I am not a MJ supporter but, I do support Cumberland and high school athletics in general.