AA Girls Basketball Teams

secretagentman

I have always advocated for a complete public/private split in Tennessee. My rationale is that if you do not want to send your children to school with the rest of us, then why on earth do you think you should get to play in public leagues and compete for public titles? Just because it is legal according to T$$AA, does not mean it is right. Wealth has its privileges.

Wow....

• Just one more reason for privates to be in Div 11.
  • Sports Academy of Knoxville (CAK) purpose is to provide a place for those who can afford +$10,000 tuition, an advantage in sports.
  • Take sports out of SAK and enrollment would drop from 450 to 100.

I would venture to guess that every high school in the state has at least one girl in its school that has left the team for varying reasons (academics, other sports, etc). I can't think of one coach that would allow someone to join the team after summer workouts, 100 practices, and 30 games! 

Sports at SAK is about winning, winning, and winning.

Fairness, ethics, and sportsmanship are the only losers at SAK.

Hopefully Fulton, GP, Grainger, Elizabethton, can derail SAK path to a tarnished gold ball !

WC

Hooper is not joining the team.  She has been on the roster all year long with an open invitation to come play at anytime durning the season. Last year this girl played highschool Basketball and Club volleyball at the same time.  Three days a week she would go to basketball practice untill around 5 oclock and then go to Volleyball practice untill 9:30 pm and then go home and start her home work.  by the time the state tournament came around she was phyisiclly exhausted. With in a three weeks period she played in districts, regionals, substate, the state tournament and particapated in three volleyball tournaments.  She was going to do the same thing this year but with the way the club volleyball practices and tournament schedules were set up and with the home work load that the Jr class has it would have been too much for her this year.  Even though nobody out there will ever belive it,  she worked out the scheduling to help her best friend and teamates with a run to the tournament. I am sure that several schools in different sports all over the state allow players from their JV squads to particitpate in tournament play to add depth to there bench. im sure that players have been added mid season that have been playing other sports and nothing has been mentioned.   This is the same case here.  As i have said in previous post,  adding an eligible  player to the roster for depth is not issue here. It happens all the time.  The issue that everybody is complaining about is the player they are adding.. Because Hooper is 6'6" and is a huge game changer is the reason everybody is screaming foul.  Ask yourself, if Grainger County added a 5'8" soccer player to the bench right now to help with depth who had been playing soccer up untill this point and was ready to join the team. Would people be complaining? If a 5'8" girl transfered to Gatlanburg Pittman and her 1 year period of ineligibility ended right before the tournament and she was added to the roster,  would that raise a stink? I dont think so.  Hooper just happens to be a very tall  high profile player and everybody is mad because they will have to possibly go thru her now to get to the state tournament.   What CAK is doing in not illegal or unethical.  Its the player in question that is causing the uproar.  It is not fair to her if she is not allowed to play.  I bet the players for GC and GP arent as worried about it a the parents and coaches are. They are competitors and probably believe thay can beat CAK with or without Hooper on the team.

Edited by EBTHER

I'm amazed (well, not really) at all the self-ordained experts commenting in this thread about Miss Hooper returning, when they're not associated with the program, don't know any of the players or their parents or the coaches - yet they can tell us unequivocally the motives and repercussions of every individual involved with the ladies basketball team.

It really does not matter whether the player is 5'8" or 6'6". If this player comes in and takes playing time away from others who have worked hard to better themselves on the court since June, which will happen, it is very unethical. No its not illegal but its wrong. It is also extremely unfair to the ones who will suffer. And for an administration to allow this to happen is wrong as well. Many posts on here stating that most programs would do the same thing. Doubtful. Sure there will always be a few. But most programs would never do this. It just sends the wrong message to these young athletes IMO.

This self ordained expert sez “it just ain’t  rightâ€. If High School Sports teaches

life lessons, whats this situation teaching? 1. We’re not good enough.  2. Really good

players don’t have to follow the rules.  3. If its legal it’s OK.  4. The 1st 30 games don’t matter.

5. Winning will make-up for any hurt  feelings . 6. Hey, I’m a good player I think next year I’ll

quit the team and rejoin in time for the Region tournament ! and so on, and so on

Public preception is what it is. If you are not informed about what has really gone down at CAK with this girl and her teammates behind closed doors then you are going to form your own opinion and you are entitiled to that opinion. These girls, the coaching staff and the parents all know the back story on this situation and are happy to have her back in the fold.

It really does not matter whether the player is 5'8" or 6'6". If this player comes in and takes playing time away from others who have worked hard to better themselves on the court since June, which will happen, it is very unethical. No its not illegal but its wrong. It is also extremely unfair to the ones who will suffer. And for an administration to allow this to happen is wrong as well. Many posts on here stating that most programs would do the same thing. Doubtful. Sure there will always be a few. But most programs would never do this. It just sends the wrong message to these young athletes IMO.

What about the freshmen girls at McMinn Central who came in and took a starting spot or got more playing time than Juniors and Seniors who have been there for 2-3 years, which is a lot longer than since June? Was that fair?

What about the freshmen girls at McMinn Central who came in and took a starting spot or got more playing time than Juniors and Seniors who have been there for 2-3 years, which is a lot longer than since June? Was that fair?

Yes, it's called competition. If the freshman are better, then why do they have to sit the bench? Best players should play. Seniority shouldn't matter.

Public preception is what it is. If you are not informed about what has really gone down at CAK with this girl and her teammates behind closed doors then you are going to form your own opinion and you are entitiled to that opinion. These girls, the coaching staff and the parents all know the back story on this situation and are happy to have her back in the fold.

No kidding....LOL It may help overcome the inconsistency they have played with all year.

I believe all those girls including freshman, soph, juniors, and seniors have worked hard since June, unless they were injured. This situation is totally different. And I don't make the line-up. Edited by NukeLaloosh

I can 110% guarantee that not all of the girls are as OK with this move as some are making it seem. There are girls that have worked so hard during preseason and during the entire year who will lose playing time now, that they have earned, because it seems someone will try to win at any cost. What kind of message is that sending to these young ladies for life? Yes, some may say that it was "voted" on. But I'll tell you this, intimidation can play a huge role when it comes to high school females.Dad (MLB) seems to have made a move to win a state championship freshman year, came back because he thought he could make it happen sophomore year. Dad then got Coach fired mid season when things weren't going well, and now pulled out all the stops to turn things around. Will Coach get to stay if CAK wins the gold ball?I've been saying CAK is playing better and coming together as a team. I have said I thought they would make a deep post season run. And I'm sure they still will. However, I don't think this is fair to all of the young ladies in the program.As a disclaimer I will say, this is not the returning young ladies fault at all. If she wants to play with her friends then that is fine. Often times there are adults in power however who see the whole picture and care more about ALL of their student-athletes than just winning.

I think you are way off base with several of your comments. Mr. MLB dad certainly didn't want the coach fired. The team has had it's great success wiith him running the show. The new headmaster wanted his own person as AD. The parents I've talked to are behind the coach 100%. They've even told me what a great blessing his wife has been to the team. Fortunately for him, he has landed in a great spot in Fl. to continue his career. I think Cheyenne made a similar move when she initially started playing high school volleyball and it has certainly worked out well for her in the long run.

I'm not sure how many teams bring in players from other sports in for a tourney run....but jv moves are made which is a lot different. This girl has played before with the team so it's no big stretch to bring her in. She should be in pretty good shape from volleyball workouts but it is not like being in basketball shape. You can't coach 6'6" and she will have a big impact. I'm not surprised by this move in the least and hope it works out in the big picture. For the record, I'm glad she's waiting until the region. LOL

Edited by IrishBBall