Rhea Co. @ Cookeville District 6-AAA Title Game?

BigGreenCountry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are these two teams in the same district? Is it just me or is Cookeville a pretty good drive to Rhea Co and vice versa?

Rhea just got bumped into the district when Coffee Co. left district 6 and East Hamilton moved up to district 5. I was told the TSSAA wanted more balance, since district 6 only had 5 teams while district 5 would have had 8 teams. I had heard that back when the TSSAA went to the districts format that Rhea wanted to be in district 6 but something happened and they stayed in district 5.

From Rhea Co High School to Cookeville it's about an hour and half. Which is the furthest drive for Rhea on the schedule except for maybe Warren Co. The rest of the district isn't too bad of a drive Cumberland and Stone are just a 1/2 an hour and White Co. is a little over an hour.

Edited by BigGreenCountry

Rhea just got bumped into the district when Coffee Co. left district 6 and East Hamilton moved up to district 5. I was told the TSSAA wanted more balance, since district 6 only had 5 teams while district 5 would have had 8 teams. I had heard that back when the TSSAA went to the districts format that Rhea wanted to be in district 6 but something happened and they stayed in district 5.

From Rhea Co High School to Cookeville it's about an hour and half. Which is the furthest drive for Rhea on the schedule except for maybe Warren Co. The rest of the district isn't too bad of a drive Cumberland and Stone are just a 1/2 an hour and White Co. is a little over an hour.

Cumberland County has been in and out of District 5 for years because that area is almost a no man's land for upper level schools. Rhea moving over there is not that bad travel wise with the expansion of 111 although still not as convenient as most of District 5. But you should remember too, that until recently, the return trips after the games were much longer drives because the ferry's that served Hwys 30 and 60 closed at dark. Return trips for visitors and for Rhea on road trips a much longer proposition, in many some cases.

I actually think the time difference, (Rhea on Eastern and the rest of the district on Central) is a bigger issue than the actual drive times, particularly for the teams coming to Rhea, being able to get fans there after work.

This game is going to be watched closely by us.

Rhea is a former District member and likely one our District's teams will play them in the first round of the playoffs. And from what I have a vastly improved team from last year.

Cookeville will have it's hands full with Rhea, because they will play hard and are doing some good things. Cookeville has been a solid program for a while. I expect them to be a pretty sound balanced program, going into this game.

I really don't know what Cookeville looks like, but I will say RC is playing well since losing to walker valley. I think a lot of people who watched that game realize we could've won that game and just didn't play well in the second half. I think if RC plays as well on D as they have and continues to run the ball as effectively they'll come away with the win. It looks like they've made some adjustments since the WV game that has helped. I think the only thing I've heard about Cookeville is they have a big QB who's solid. Not sure beyond that.