The Sunday Q&A with Bernard Childress: TSSAA may revise playoff system a

davidlimbaugh

I read somewhere that the governing body in GA ( GHSA)only takes 8-12% of each playoff game... Seriously, what could they possibly be doing with this money?

If you could ever get the TSSAA to publish the individual salaries for all of their employees you would know where a large percentage of the money goes.  As of now you only see that they place all salaries in one lump sum.

There is one thing that I am absolutely sure about when it comes to this topic. There will never be a play-off system that is liked by the masses in the state of Tennessee in high school football. No matter how elaborate or how simple the system may be. The MAJORITY will not like what is selected.

The director of TSSAA, whomever it is at whatever time will have one responsibility to the state of Tennessee while they hold that office. Select a play-off system that is fair and void of subjectivity for the selection process.

IF you can please at least HALF of the people who take the time to voice an opinion about this subject ... you've found a good system.

12% to GHSA. $5 per mile one way to all teams that travel. ticket prices...

1st rd. $8, 2nd rd. $10, 3rd rd. $12, semi's $15, finals $18 presale at the schools...$20 if bought at Ticketmaster or Dome!

Ought to see the rules for mandatory stadium size for each class. They even have the breakdown of how much each team will get for being in the championship game...A - 16% each team, etc. Each class gets a little bit more than the lower class

Edited by devilsden

There is one thing that I am absolutely sure about when it comes to this topic. There will never be a play-off system that is liked by the masses in the state of Tennessee in high school football. No matter how elaborate or how simple the system may be. The MAJORITY will not like what is selected.

The director of TSSAA, whomever it is at whatever time will have one responsibility to the state of Tennessee while they hold that office. Select a play-off system that is fair and void of subjectivity for the selection process.

IF you can please at least HALF of the people who take the time to voice an opinion about this subject ... you've found a good system.

The director and staff actually suggest to the BOC to go back to five classes last vote and the BOC went against recommendation....i think the privates have bought out the BOC....

I hear they take take expensive trips out of state weeks before the meetings to decide everything... with backroom deals going down left and right...then come back to TN and act like they've been nowhere...with everything already decided :popcorneater: .......you think i'm joking...but who knows

Give me 4 classes, 16 teams making it in each, and an 11th regular season preseason/kickoff game that the T$$AA can take their share from.

Under this scenario we would likely either have 16 districts with 4/5 teams each, or eight with 9/10 teams each. If the TSSAA doesn't want to lose money to the revival of bowls games that will no doubt pop up then they will have to take 32 teams per classification. 

In the 4/5 teams scenario it may be hard scheduling six to seven teams out of district each year, especially trying to avoid teams that you may meet in the post season.  And in the 9/10 scenario it will be like playing to get to the national champion in college football: ever game would be critical for the post-season.

I'm thinking five classifications is the best in terms of break-downs. We could have eight regions with 7/8 teams; just like a few years back. 

Edited by midtnmale

Everything is driven by the almighty dollar!! I was outraged when I saw that TSSAA got 50% from every playoff game! WTH!!! Where in the heck does this money go? I personally think 6 classes is here to stay because of $$$!

This ones easy...every executive officer's of which there are six total compensation for its fiscal 2013 year exceed six figures each and its executive director is in the $170,000 range. Last year the TSSAA made almost a half of a million dollars and currently sits on about $3 million is cash, despite crap like $40,000 to lobby the state legislator.  And you thought you had to be a Doctor or Lawyer or something.  Its a crying shame that most of the states athletic departments can't afford trainers etc and yet the very association charged with their oversight lives like kings....shame on them, the media, and us for letting it happen.

Edited by airstrip1

http://www.dnj.com/article/20131027/NEWS/310270027/The-Sunday-Q-Bernard-Childress-TSSAA-may-revise-playoff-system-again-2015

The Sunday Q&A with Bernard Childress: TSSAA may revise playoff system again in 2015

I posted on this web-site the day they announced the new 'Z' system that is would cause more problems than it would solve.  I said then and I say now that non-district games should NEVER count in any high school sport. Imagine doing this for baseball or basketball.  Try scheduling non-district games then.   

I have used the example of Lavergne for years.  How they could schedule 'A' and 'AA' teams for out of district, win a couple of district games, get 6 or 7 wins and make the playoffs.

This year, my Riverdale fits that profile. Instead of playing Bradley Central (5-4), East Hamilton (7-2), Hendersonville (7-2) and Cane Ridge (5-4) perhaps we should have played Glencliff (0-9), Coffee Co (0-9), Knoxville Halls (0-9) and Portland (0-9).

Instead of being (3-6) (3-2 and sole possession of third in 7AAA) we could be (7-2) and in the playoffs headed into senior night against Smyrna.

Non-District games should NEVER come into play for the post-season.  If they don't then scheduling is far easier. 

What do YOU think?

+10000000000000000000000000000000000