Bradlee Centrull vizits tha Skeetur

STARSNBARS

Great Memories !!  You sound a lot like Starz as far as remembering the games 30 plus years ago . Starz is like Rain man when it comes to Rebel Football !!   :mrgreen:

Well I had no choice in the matter. I grew up with a father who followed the Bears all over during the 50's and stories about great games with Chattanooga Central in their heyday. Even the stories about when Rossville, GA was state champions and the Bears beat them soundly.

Then his youngest sister was a cheerleader and her future husband played guard beside Bob Johnson and blocking for Steve Sloan. I went to games as a toddler, a kid, and every since I went to school there.

The 76 BCHS team is underrated for sure.

ps: I saw Paul Davis a few months ago and he looks like he can still run a sub 10 100yd dash.

Paul was truly a great runner. And from personal experience I can say one truly good guy.

I'm not sure how that '76 team stacks up except in one category...they were winners. We had a some good cheers, mostly about how it didn't matter what the score, the Bears were going to win. :popcorneater:

Edited by alt1958

Well I had no choice in the matter. I grew up with a father who followed the Bears all over during the 50's and stories about great games with Chattanooga Central in their heyday. Even the stories about when Rossville, GA was state champions and the Bears beat them soundly.

Then his youngest sister was a cheerleader and her future husband played guard beside Bob Johnson and blocking for Steve Sloan. I went to games as a toddler, a kid, and every since I went to school there.

I enjoy listening to similar stories from a friend of ours who played HB for Bradley back in the mid 50's... he talks about the Chattanooga Central games like they were always championship battles... after I get him talking about those days.

Agree with you about Paul, class describes him perfectly.

Good stuff alt1958.....One ov Bob Johnson's teammates iz a friend ov mine, Gary Melton......Gary told me when Dickey waz hired at UT...The first 3 players he went two see were Johnson at Bradley, John Boynton at (Bledsoe County) Pikeville, and Melton at Mairvul.....All O-linemen..... :popcorneater:

Good stuff alt1958.....One ov Bob Johnson's teammates iz a friend ov mine, Gary Melton......Gary told me when Dickey waz hired at UT...The first 3 players he went two see were Johnson at Bradley, John Boynton at (Bledsoe County) Pikeville, and Melton at Mairvul.....All O-linemen..... :popcorneater:

that's what I'd call a solid foundation.

Edited by StarRaider

Actually Kinny Hooper did play as a back up FB and the 2 point conversion play was actually supposed to go to him as a pass, but he was covered and Scott had to improvise. They had never practiced a run out of that formation.

Bobby Delay was the placekicker and won several games with his kicking in the clutch, after transferring over from Cleveland and was also a backup QB if I remember correctly. Terry Scoggins was a WR/DB. Greg Geren would have been an under classman, back up QB/DB and played QB after '76. Danny Wooden was the starting RB and Elmore his back up. Eddie Albornoz was a beast at the defensive line and played his senior season with a broken hand in a huge cast.

That was one heck of a season, since no one gave Bradley a chance to win the District let alone anything else. They beat Kirkman 19-0 when they were averaging over 40 points a game. Defeated Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett, (neutral site game in Sevierville) 24-18 if I remember correctly, then one of the most exciting games in Tennessee State Championship history with the 50-48 3 OT victory over Jackson Central-Merry. Actually called one of the most exciting games of the year by a national ranking service. Pretty much tied at the end of every quarter. Game ended in a 28-28 tie.

Man that was a fun senior year, with the team going 13-0 and me not missing a game. That was simply a group that played great as a team.

Bradley had a nose guard was Randy Goins. Weighed about a buck fifty. He told me the championship game without pads he was down to 135. Real tough guy. Miss him. I believe that was Kirkmams only winning season or at least playoff appearance. They had a guy named Jonah Daniels. He played at Memphis State for awhile won the old unlimited wrestling championship in tn. He was 6 ft 7. Weighed over 300lbs. Also had two white guys on that team one name Ray Eller and another can't remember his name but he was called Horsehead by his friend both big dudes. Edited by anotherback

The coach of the Rossville team was Glenn Wade, a Carson Newman graduate, a Marine and long time resident of Maryville. Coach Wade passed away in August this year.

If Maryville Polytechnic school from the 1920's is located where the currenty Maryville then you might consider giving the Bears 4 more wins over 'Maryville' since they won all 4 contests in '22, '23, '24 and '25. Just wondering! Not sure if that school would be considered 'Maryville High' or not. It's a lot life Bradley Central which opened as 'Central High' in 1916.

If Maryville Polytechnic school from the 1920's is located where the currenty Maryville then you might consider giving the Bears 4 more wins over 'Maryville' since they won all 4 contests in '22, '23, '24 and '25. Just wondering! Not sure if that school would be considered 'Maryville High' or not. It's a lot life Bradley Central which opened as 'Central High' in 1916.

They were separate schools baconbreath. MHS opened in 1918, so they existed at the same time. The private school Maryville Polytechnic closed in 1929. This probably coincided with the stock market crash / great depression. I'm sure MHS got the property cheap.